Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2011, 1:48 am

How many grains of it do you think line the beaches? jesus said, god loves "you this much"
but I wonder how many actual grains of sand is there? Once i went to the beach in san diego
and well there was alot of freaking sand. it was everywhere

Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 1:52 am

When I clicked this link, I though this was going to be about somebody on this forum.

Was not spoken of the soul.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2011, 1:53 am

Well, you guessed wrong

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 2:10 am

richardbenson wrote:
How many grains of it do you think line the beaches? jesus said, god loves "you this much"
but I wonder how many actual grains of sand is there? Once i went to the beach in san diego

It's a small planet. A mere speck of dust in a huge universe.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2011, 2:15 am

Thats how a piece of sand would talk to me

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

richardbenson wrote:

Fascinating. What other inorganics converse with you?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jan 2011, 2:52 am

Your mom? are you offended? dont be. I was asking a question. did you miss it?
maybe you should dust that sand off of your nose to see it

Wich is, how can god love you more than sand on the seashore? I've seen those jesus pictures of two footprints ok but it turns out into only one sugjesting he carrys you through your hard times!

holler back now. :pig:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 8:54 am

Same as 70x7. Never intended to be seen as anything but pointing to ineffability. Nor is the footprints thing part of the canon.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 9:08 am

Sand wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Fascinating. What other inorganics converse with you?

Are you inorganic then?

I thought you were a lump of organic substance. :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 9:47 am

Quote:
How many grains of it do you think line the beaches

your question is not well defined.

what does it mean to "line" a beach? are you talking about the single grains of sand that outline the perimeter of a beach? when you say "beaches" how many beaches are you talking about?

i will only address how many grains (roughly) of sand i think are contained in an average beach.
the average beach i think is about 2 km long and 100 meters wide.
i imagine the depth of the sand to be about 3 meters at the place where the beach meets the grass, and about 1 meter where the beach meets the waterline, so will say the average depth of the sand is 2 meters.

the average grain of sand is a cube about 1/2 millimeter wide and high and deep.

that makes the grain of sand's volume 1/8 millimeter cube.

there are a billion cubic millimeters in a cubic meter.

so a beach 2 km long and 100 meters wide and 2 meters deep has a volume of 400,000 cubic meters.

if you divide 400,000 by 1/8,000,000,000 you get 3,200,000,000,000,000 (3 quadrillion, 200 trillion) grains.

i would think most beaches in the world would range between 1 and 20 quadrillion grains of sand.

something that astounded me was that i once read in an article from hawaii university that said there were about 5.7 quintillion grains of sand in all the world's beaches. that would mean that the the amount of "tons" the world weighs is about 1,000 times more than every grain of sand on it's beaches.

but now i have done my own calculation of a single beach for this thread, i think that the university of hawaii is wrong. if my example beach contains 3.2 quadrillion grains, then 5.7 quintillion grains means there are only about 1780 average beaches in the world which i would think is not correct.

the amount of stars in our galaxy, if they were represented by grains of sand, would fill a box 4.16666 meters high and wide and deep.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 10:00 am

richardbenson wrote:

San Diego uses artificial sand. Nasty annoying stuff. Ought to be illegal. As for the question - it's an image of infinity, infinite love in this case. (Enter protests about theodicy, stage left.) As for how that's possible - you might try asking directly. He did spend a few thousand years trying to teach us, He finally came in person to explain, and most of us still haven't gotten the point.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 10:44 am

91 wrote:
When I clicked this link, I though this was going to be about somebody on this forum.

Thats what I thought too!

Hey- AG got named-by- name by someone in the title of another thread so I thought getting persona was a trend!

But no- this thread is actually about stuff thats coarser than silt, but finer than gravel ( thats how geologist define 'sand').

Well- on that subject- geologists define "sand" as stuff with a diameter ranging from two milimeters down to one sixteenth of a millimeter.

So...a cubic inch can contain anything from..call it 2000 grains of sand ... upto ..something like 64 million.

Then multiply that by how many cubic inches of sand make up all of the beaches on planet earth.. whatever that number is... and you get.. exactly precisely.. a shxtload!

Actually.. a shxtload raised to the power of: a whole freeking lot!

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 12:13 pm

This is an incredibly autistic thread. :roll:

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 12:47 pm

:hail: 'Tis. I can only stand in awe. :hail:

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

Like sand in an hourglass topic

So according to b9, a box full of stars would not be of much use at the average beach. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 6:05 pm

Natty_Boh wrote:
He did spend a few thousand years trying to teach us, He finally came in person to explain, and most of us still haven't gotten the point.

The greatest shame mankind has ever committed, declining the greatest love in the universe.

back on topic: i think b9 is the closest to being on target, however, it will never be possible to know the exact number of grains, only God Himself knows that.

Also consider that many geologists do not believe in sand, to them, each grain is its own little rock.