Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

Im a Chinese-Australian who has Singaporean ancestory on my father's side. I've visited the country many times, (have relatives over there) and I'm really shocked to hear these sorts of things going on.

With the high academic culture and interest in introverted activities like watching movies, computers and video games, I'd imagine Singapore to be more tolerant of AS in my opinion.

It sounds very similar to what I experience in Australia from the ignorant NTs.

I guess it's the same mentality throughout any country in the world. "If your not with us, your our enemy"

reneeirena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

I guess in S'pore, if you're a little different, you're discriminated against. And this is very true for the extremely small groups, like us aspies. I have enough problems with my messed up language and ethnic background, and my weirder A level subject combination, but on the aspie side, there's no real voice or help.

And maybe that's why I was diagnosed so late.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:26 am

I travelled overland Bali - Medan - Singapore - Bangkok a few times. The Singaporeans I met seemed really happy and sorted people, Their standard of living and education was usually obvious in places like Bali

I think its a lucky country, the benevolent dictatorship does a better job than democracy, albeit some things like school floggings and a police type state.

There is hardly any scum and the city is tidy and runs quite well

kdlucci
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2017, 11:16 am

Hello! I am doing research and DESPERATELY need people from Asian countries. I saw this thread and thought someone could help me contact people born in an Asian country who have been diagnosed with ASD.

The research is part of my university's project on autism and friendship, takes around 20 minutes to complete, is anonymous, and you can win £50 for taking part in the research.

Here's the link: https://standrews.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/ ... p6h2hOzmu1
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. ANYONE aged 18-30 can take part in the study.

Would you be able to help me with this?
Thank you!