Absentmindedness and executive dysfunction

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2011, 5:46 pm

Are absentmindedness and executive dysfunction closely related?

This is a bit of a tricky question to frame properly. Executive dysfunction is a technical concept and absentmindedness is a non-technical concept. It's my impression that some of the effects of executive dysfunction are things that would be commonly identified as absentmindedness, but that some effects of executive dysfunction aren't. Also, it could be that some phenomena identified as absentmindedness come from executive dysfunction, and some don't. I don't understand executive dysfunction very well, so I can't make a good comparison.

There are different kinds of things that I would classify as absentmindedness:
- Forgetting something or forgetting to do something
(for example, forgetting to eat a meal, or forgetting your bag, or forgetting to pay for something)

-Forgetting not to do something
(for example, mistakenly brushing my teeth at the point in my morning routine that corresponds to the point in my evening routine when I brush my teeth, or forgetting not to try to buy something when I'd left my wallet behind)

-Mixing up what you're doing
(for example, beginning to eat a lunch that I meant to pack, or throwing your keys in the garbage when you meant to throw out the thing you had in your other hand.)

-Being oblivious to surroundings
(for example, walking into a tree, or not noticing traffic lights)

(I'm sure there are other types of things that would be considered absentmindedness too, but those are some I've thought of.)

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 6:47 pm

Well I suppose. After finding ED I found I had serious, but at least clinically "provable" problems. I've always been absent-minded. *shrugs*

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 6:48 pm

you just decribed me

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 7:23 pm

Apparently other people think I am absent-minded:

I had arrived at Sydney Airport and was looking for my baggage from my flight, with no success. A minor official came up to me and asked what I was looking for, and I told him my flight.

He then asked if I was an academic. I looked at him puzzled. He then asked with a smile if I would describe myself as, maybe, absent-minded ... say, an absent-minded professor? I was in the completely wrong line for my luggage - no wonder it hadn't appeared! He had decided that I was in a mental fog, unable to read or understand the signs around me - although obviously competent in other ways - and decided that I fitted the absent-minded professor stereotype.

And all I could think was "Is that what I really look like?"

But no, I am not an academic. I just act like an absent-minded one sometimes. And get comments like that.

And I do think I have executive dysfunction. At least, I have problems starting complex tasks - getting it all into my head. I have problems switching tasks - it is almost painful and I snap at people who interrupt me while I am concentrating. And I had problems tackling big projects at university - I cannot organise myself and usually leave everything to a mad rush at the last moment, relying on native intelligence to get me through (it worked as an undergraduate, but not as a graduate student).

I gather that "working memory" is a big part of executive function (i.e. keeping in our minds all the information we need for our current task), and so we probably have less (or less efficient) working memory. That could well mean that we forget other things in order to focus our "working memory" on one task ... thus appearing "absent-minded" to others.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 7:56 pm

one-A-N wrote:
I gather that "working memory" is a big part of executive function

I've had problems with memory when I was a kid. Sometimes people would accuse me of things that I didn't remember doing, but also couldn't remember not doing. People have gotten angry at me about things that I didn't remember doing. Maybe the events just didn't produce the required emotional response and thus register with me as something I should remember. Other students would tell on me just to get me in trouble because they knew I was susceptible to not being able to defend against things they would bring up, and there was a memory component to that. Now I have better integration and I don't have these memory problems anymore.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 9:24 pm

Cassia wrote:

This is a bit of a tricky question to frame properly. Executive dysfunction is a technical concept and absentmindedness is a non-technical concept. It's my impression that some of the effects of executive dysfunction are things that would be commonly identified as absentmindedness, but that some effects of executive dysfunction aren't. Also, it could be that some phenomena identified as absentmindedness come from executive dysfunction, and some don't. I don't understand executive dysfunction very well, so I can't make a good comparison.

(for example, forgetting to eat a meal, or forgetting your bag, or forgetting to pay for something)

(for example, mistakenly brushing my teeth at the point in my morning routine that corresponds to the point in my evening routine when I brush my teeth, or forgetting not to try to buy something when I'd left my wallet behind)

(for example, beginning to eat a lunch that I meant to pack, or throwing your keys in the garbage when you meant to throw out the thing you had in your other hand.)

(I'm sure there are other types of things that would be considered absentmindedness too, but those are some I've thought of.)

This is me. I'm a doofus

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2011, 10:44 pm

Mindslave wrote:
This is me. I'm a doofus

Those are all things I've done myself (except throwing my keys in the garbage by mistake, which is something I very nearly did a few days ago, but I stopped myself just in time.)

I don't like the word 'doofus' to describe people who do these sorts of things. It sounds very negative/insulting, at least to me. (Perhaps in your mind it isn't negative, in which case it doesn't bother me so much - like I sometimes describe myself as weird, which I don't see as negative, but many people do.)

EDIT: I should clarify - I'm not feeling offended that used the word 'doofus' to describe people like me. I'm concerned about you putting yourself down by applying the word to yourself.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Last edited by Cassia on 26 Jan 2011, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm

Cassia wrote:

I think many of these things come from executive functioning, especially from limited working memory.

Quote:

Daily fact of life for me.

I used to forget to eat all the time, but I have alarms to remind me. :)

Quote:

Done this.

Quote:

Pouring kool-aid in my cheerios as a child. Trying to put milk in the cupboard. Eating off a paper plate with a metal fork, putting the paper plate in the sink and throwing away the fork... etc.

Quote:

Walking into traffic... Specifically trying to cross a street because you think it's empty but somehow didn't see an oncoming car. Also, while learning to drive nearly colliding with a dumpster because I was watching the road and not the objects on or near the road. Looking for and not finding something that is on my computer desk between keyboard and monitor, where it has been for hours. Trying to walk out the wrong door, walking into the wrong restroom. One that's really common to me is if someone points out "hey, look at this specific element of this specific thing" I will look at that element but not think to look at other elements of that same thing, or I will look but not think to comment because you didn't specify those other things.