Picky eater and eating the same thing every day

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KittenKat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

I'm not at all a picky eater, and I love trying new foods, but there are some foods I can't stand, and it's usually because of texture (hate yogurt!) or bad associations. I can't eat anything that was given to me as child when I was sick - jello, chicken soup, 7up, etc. I can't even be in the room when jello is being made. Even though I like a lot of foods, I would rather just eat the same thing every day, and a lot of times I have. My dad used to eat the same thing every day for years, as did my grandfather. Honestly I'd rather just not eat, I forget about it when I'm on my own, it's a hassle, and unless it's a nicely cooked meal I really just don't care.
~K

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:31 pm

I have a few issues with textures but otherwise I can happily eat most foods. However left to my own devices (which is 99.9% of the time) I eat the same food over and over again. My diet hasn't changed in over 25 years, which most people seem to think is a little bit weird. However when I mention that I eat my main meal in the morning they think I am a lot weird :twisted:

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

If it isn't ice cream, french fries, cheeseburgers, chinese food or fried seafood, I'm usually not in the mood for it. I got braces put on and all I can eat is what I just listed... not sure if it's like a regression to childhood or something... before braces I ate mostly fruit, veggies, nuts, mexican style food, dairy and steaks. I eat so poorly now that I have to drink protein shakes twice a day. I can actually go for 14 hours without a bite to eat and drink coffee and shakes. Ugh. Not the greatest. Food before braces was my passion, I cooked at least two of my meals every day and delighted in trips to the farmer's market and fish market.

I used variety in food as the consistent component. Instead of the same food every day, I'd make sure I'd have different food every day not repeating the same dish for at least a month. I'm a chef by trade so this is easy, I miss it so much... I can't wait til my braces come off!

Anyone else have braces? Anyone have braces and extra sensitivity? I have both... let me tell you I HATE cleaning my teeth and have spent around $100 on all manner of equipment to do it for me. :oops:

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

When I was a teenager with an abnormally fast metabolism and doing martial arts several times a week, I ate too much to get in the habit of eating the same things much. Whatever foodstuffs made it to the fridge/freezer/pantry steadily marched its way into my gullet as part of my 4 meals a day plus snacks fueling that didn't see me gain a pound.

I do go through serious phases left to my own devices, though. I ate Tyson chicken strips for at least one meal a day from late 2010 through all of 2011 until I could no longer stand them. Now I'm in a Tyson buffalo chicken strips craving rut lately.

My wife and I love to try new foods and recipes together, though. We're always watching Good Eats because we love how Alton explains all of the science and history of everything.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

Rebel_Nowe wrote:
When I was a teenager with an abnormally fast metabolism and doing martial arts several times a week, I ate too much to get in the habit of eating the same things much. Whatever foodstuffs made it to the fridge/freezer/pantry steadily marched its way into my gullet as part of my 4 meals a day plus snacks fueling that didn't see me gain a pound.

I do go through serious phases left to my own devices, though. I ate Tyson chicken strips for at least one meal a day from late 2010 through all of 2011 until I could no longer stand them. Now I'm in a Tyson buffalo chicken strips craving rut lately.

My wife and I love to try new foods and recipes together, though. We're always watching Good Eats because we love how Alton explains all of the science and history of everything.

I wonder if Alton is "one of us" *evil laugh*

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

I honestly think he's at least BAP. He's always so oddly dressed and mannered, and he can't do anything without saying ALL THE DETAILS. He's always super on top of every detail in kitchen stadium too. He likes to try to predict what the iron chefs are doing abased on just a few ingredients, then interrupt Kevin Brauch to be triumphant with himself twenty minutes later. His Food Network Star team is a bunch of oddballs who seem out of sync with each other personally but who work really well together.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

I can only seem to 'stomach' freshly cooked food; I can't seem to tolerate left overs from the night before because my sense of taste is quite strong in that I feel physically sick after eating them.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 1:17 am

I am not a terribly fussy eater (though I do have a few things I avoid), but I definitely get into "ruts" when it comes to food. If I didn't have a job where I could go out and eat lunch, I'd probably survive off of some combination of Froot Loops, peanut butter, Nutella, bread, apples, bananas, and yogurt.