Page 972 of 2522 [ 40339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 969, 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975 ... 2522  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:58 pm

I can probably cope with anything.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:27 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^^Oh! I'm sorry! :o :cry:
No worries, there's no way you could've known. :)

antnego wrote:
LOL, you don't wanna know what's on my mind half the time. It's "crazy" even by the standards around here. Or often wildly inappropriate.

Filtering myself keeps me out of jail or the mental institution.

Even "odd" friends have thought I was nuts when I verbalized my thoughts. One time I was talking about forming a band of cats, where cat noises completely replace all the sounds made by musical instruments. For instance, percussion is replacing by cats scratching surfaces, bass guitar replaced by low cat growls, and distorted guitars replaced by cats hissing and yowling.

And I know about "Jingle Cats." I'm talking about going beyond that, where cats completely control the sonic landscape.

Yeah, I know :lol: :roll:
I'm actually trying to picture a cat rendition of "Wild Thing" in such a scenario. I would think that's awesome if someone could train a group of cats to do that.

antnego wrote:
Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^I meant Sorry to SentientPotato, actually, about Pokemon spoilers.

Whoops. The ^^ on your prior post fell under mine. Got confused. Carry on. :)
It's a common thing that happens here -- instead of quoting the post(s) someone is replying to, they'll simply use carets to point up to it/them with the number of carets indicating how many posts above theirs the target post is (for example, she used ^^, indicating 2 posts above hers, which was mine). It's a solid system that prevents clutter like the mess that this post is.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:25 am

this is probably the most weird song ever, esp the part @ 00:44 haha

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 7:51 am

SentientPotato wrote:
DataB4 wrote:
SentientPotato, why do you feel like you're sitting in a corner?

In the sense that I mostly find myself just watching the different conversations without really contributing to them, so in feeling it mirrors actual real life conversing where people are scattered about having conversations, and I'm generally in my own little space close enough to listen in on some of them, but not so close that people will start getting me to contribute. That's not to say I don't contribute, but unless it's within a community where people know me and I know them, it's way out of my comfort zone. It's basically a cycle where I can't become an established member and contributing is hard unless I'm an established member, something made even harder when those few times I do step forward are met with silence. Idk maybe I'm just being ridiculous; heck just this comment alone took waaaay more time than it really should've.

Hmm... I usually just jump in with questions or experiences related to whatever they're talking about. Sometimes people won't answer a question, or the conversation ends. And then I try again somewhere else. Not sure you actually want to answer this, but what is it that you're actually concerned about? These threads have lots of people throwing out all kinds of random stuff to see what will evoke an interesting conversation, or sometimes just to be heard. Not sure if thinking of them that way makes you feel any less concerned?

Raleigh wrote:
I can probably cope with anything.

That's a brave statement, one I don't think I could make.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:20 am

Sunflower89 wrote:
Midnightstar16 wrote:
Kuraudo7777 wrote:
I don't understand the point of assigning kids more work to do at home. When my mum homeschooled me, I only did extra work if I had a bit to finish up.

I think it's dumb too. But my teacher used to tell me that learning is 24/7 and that they don't want you to forget overnight.

I never got enough sleep when I had all that homework. I had to go to sleep and not do it all and turned everything in late.

I have a friend who never got enough sleep as a kid, especially in high school, because he always had so many after-school activities plus homework. Somehow, he managed to do it all, more or less, most of the time. But he was always so tired. No idea how he managed it. :? And how he managed to chat with me so often after school on top of all that. I couldn't have done it.

The homework thing is simple really. They want kids spending more time learning their specific, limited curriculum, but they don't want to extend their working schoolday to do it. Enter homework.

Somewhat along the lines of what Kuraudo is saying, I think it'd be cool to have some more open homework assignments. For these, the kids would have to actually pursue some interest of their own, find ways to learn about it, and report back to the class. It'd be interesting to see what all the different students would choose as their interests and how some of the projects would someday affect their life choices. Imagine how many more students would turn in their homework if they found a useful interest they actually cared about.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

If I go into teaching, I will implement a Flipped Classroom. Basically, the students watch the lectures and do the reading on their time and at their pace, using technology. Then in class, we start with a quiz just to enforce that assignment, and then do the "homework" during class time. That way, I'm available to help them find the best way to solve the problems quickly. There won't be so many false starts and rabbit holes.

I had general Chemistry 1 in this format, and got a lot more out of the class than Chem 2.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:38 am

Sometimes it seems like there's too many things to focus on, to try to change.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:44 am

^True, Kuraudo. Lots of stuff, where to start? I feel you there.

awkward facepalm wrote:
it's an advanced version of a front flip. lately i knew they call it a "loser flip" from the internet when i looked for videos of foreign people doing it on youtube.

like in this video:

Oh OK so it is a stunt then, a flip from a standing position. Flips seem so much less scary when you're a little kid closer to the ground. That's how I feel about them anyway.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:23 pm

My cats have access to some very nice shop-bought cat toys but their ultimate favourite has always been an old, unopened walnut they chase across the floor.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 1:57 pm

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

My parental human is trying to take away my phone completely, even when I'm at my dad's house, even though I use it everyday for school, even though I use it as a tool for school, even though that's the only reason why I'm keeping up in math. :wall:

My parents are divorced and one parent will not let me take my phone at the other's house.
As "punishment" for not getting my homework done.
Even though I use it for school and that's how I keep up in class, because I can't take notes.

Wtf. :x

Last edited by Lillikoi on 28 Mar 2017, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:48 pm

I have to accept that I can't help everyone.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

Nothing.... I am bored.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:52 pm

There's only one Young Adult series that I remotely like. I stick to children's literature.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:58 pm

^really? YOU SHOULD READ A CROOKED KIND OF PERFECT. (That book is perfect, it's not even crooked and it was my favorite book throgh the third grade)

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 4:59 pm

^Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if The Infernal Devices is really 14 friendly...Plus there's stuff [religious-sort of] that might just confuse you.