Page 1262 of 2484 [ 39743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1259, 1260, 1261, 1262, 1263, 1264, 1265 ... 2484  Next

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:18 am

Welp, the United States postal service has failed me... I sent a highly important document out on the 7th hoping to meet a deadline on the 13th, and here we are on the 20th and it still hasn't quite reached its destination. And of course when asked about this, an employee goes "Well this is not our guaranteed service. The policy for this service is up to 14 business days," sooooo... the only hope I have is that the postmarked date counts and not the delivery date, otherwise I'm all kinds of screwed.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

thinking about the possibility that i may end up living with three women not too far into the future. :|

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

Sharing the rent?

There was a show called "Three's Company" in the 1970s and 1980s, where a man shared an apartment with two women.

He was a straight guy---but he had to pretend to be gay in front of the landlord so he (the landlord) would rent the apartment to them.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

Temeraire wrote:
I am thinking about self-compassion and how it helps to heal old wounds. :heart:

I need to work on that.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

Temeraire wrote:
I am thinking about self-compassion and how it helps to heal old wounds. :heart:

I went to a self-compassion workshop a couple of years back.
It was probably the most useful spiritual workshop I've ever been to.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:06 pm

I try not to leave home without it - self-compassion that is.

Too often we forget to give this to ourselves as we would others. :heart:

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

I still feel like a stranger even after 3 1/2 years.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:50 pm

I hate being laughed at for showing compassion to all living things. In one of my group therapy sessions today, one of the things we did was come up with times we displayed several qualities, and one of them was kindness. I said I display it when I move worms off the sidewalk so they don't dry out and die, and catch arthropods and let them go outside when most people would squish them. Everyone in the group laughed, even the instructor. I don't get what's so funny about it. They're living things just like us, so I treat them with some respect and compassion - why is that funny?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:52 pm

it's snowing and cold outside. :pale:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 7:00 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I hate being laughed at for showing compassion to all living things. In one of my group therapy sessions today, one of the things we did was come up with times we displayed several qualities, and one of them was kindness. I said I display it when I move worms off the sidewalk so they don't dry out and die, and catch arthropods and let them go outside when most people would squish them. Everyone in the group laughed, even the instructor. I don't get what's so funny about it. They're living things just like us, so I treat them with some respect and compassion - why is that funny?

because the dark triad traits are far more common in our frankly sociopathic culture, than many polite people are willing to entertain. :idea: the veneer of civilization is "thinner than the homeopathic soup made by boiling the bones of the ghost of a chicken which starved to death." [Abe Lincoln]

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 7:05 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

The majority of Homo sapiens, thinks, or rather Believes they are above the rest of the animal kingdom.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

I do the same--I pick ants up and put them in the green bin or outside. I try very hard to be kind to every being, no matter how small. Hugs for you. :heart:

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

not funny at all. i do the same thing. they're alive and want to stay alive. facilitating that is certainly compassion. you are more compassionate than those other folks in the group.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sharing the rent?

There was a show called "Three's Company" in the 1970s and 1980s, where a man shared an apartment with two women.

He was a straight guy---but he had to pretend to be gay in front of the landlord so he (the landlord) would rent the apartment to them.

yeah, hoping to make cost of living a bit easier between all of us. it's my girlfriend, and two of her friends. none of this is concrete yet but she has discussed it with me and maybe some of them.

do landlords typically balk at guys sharing roofs with other girls?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

cathylynn wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

not funny at all. i do the same thing. they're alive and want to stay alive. facilitating that is certainly compassion. you are more compassionate than those other folks in the group.

I agree, it is not funny but heart warming. Those people who were laughing are unable to understand your level of compassion and respect for life. They do not possess your level of empathy and sensitivity.
I also wonder if any were actually laughing in a heart warming way because they would do it too?
I have a way of ushering flies out of the door - although some can be stubborn and want to stay. So yes I do the same as both of you - worms are very useful creatures.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

^ I've just been reading that people are likely to laugh at something unexpected.
So could it be that those people were expecting a story of human kindness?
It may not have been a malicious rudeness, but still rude to laugh, I guess.