Recommend some blasphemous books and movies

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:21 pm

My favourite blasphemous book/movie is The Last Temptation of Christ.

In terms of books, there are Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth, Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, Sinclair Lewis' Elmer Gantry, Portnoi's Complaint and Joseph Heller's God Knows.

Some good blasphemous movies include The Life of Brian, and I just finished Year One, which is absolutely hilarious.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_Eepvg3aU[/youtube]

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm

Did not know Olivia Wilde was in year one. hmm now I want to watch it.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 5:31 am

Recommend some blasphemous books and movies - The foreign Italian Catholic Church which worships the corrupt, Pope of the Vatican, not God, views the entire US Constitution as complete blasphemy and will never, ever read or quote from it. Rarely is any president of the United States ever mentioned (2011) in any USA Catholic Church; this includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Barack Obama or any other USA president. The Mount Rushmore memorial (South Dakota) is never mentioned in any USA Catholic Church. According to the foreign, fascist Pope, Galileo was a bad astronomer and it was good to burn at the stake the scholar, Tyndale, who translated the Bible into the English language for doing so.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:00 am

The Illuminatus Trilogy by R. A. Wilson.

ruveyn

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:56 am

Memnoch the Devil by Ann Rice.

She's the one who wrote the Vampire Chronicles in the 70's and 80's. In this one, her vampire character meets both Satan and God (sort of meets him). Satan is presented as heroic. God is presented as a clueless bully.

The presentation of God as a clueless bully makes it the most blasphemous book I've ever read, and I've read all the books mentioned thus far.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 9:10 am

Job: A Divine Comedy(title?) by Robert Heinlein. Philosophy in the Bedroom by Marquis de Sade. Can't think of much else blasphemous at the moment.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:31 am

pgd wrote:
Recommend some blasphemous books and movies - The foreign Italian Catholic Church which worships the corrupt, Pope of the Vatican, not God, views the entire US Constitution as complete blasphemy and will never, ever read or quote from it. Rarely is any president of the United States ever mentioned (2011) in any USA Catholic Church; this includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Barack Obama or any other USA president. The Mount Rushmore memorial (South Dakota) is never mentioned in any USA Catholic Church. According to the foreign, fascist Pope, Galileo was a bad astronomer and it was good to burn at the stake the scholar, Tyndale, who translated the Bible into the English language for doing so.

What is WITH you?

Even if ANY of this were true [and how many secular associations regularly mention Mount Rushmore?] - so?

I thought it was a big positive deal in our so great America that we believe the government should keep its nose outside the door or mosque, temple, church, synagogue or home prayer meeting and that the church should stay out of the governing business [though yes, some institutions try to swing a political club].

I would suggest. doing whatever it is you do to calm down [I could suggest techniques that work for me] and trying to write something reasoned, coherent, and readable. Check your blood pressure.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:42 pm

John Safran was delightfully blasphemous in the TV series John Safran vs God

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9Y3c[/youtube]

He took on just about every religion. It looks like most of the episodes are available on Youtube. I recommend downloading the series via Bit Torrent.

In the final episode, though, he seemed to have fallen for Christianity.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:52 pm

In John Safran's Race Relations, among other things, he pulls off a fake wedding with a relative of Osama bin Laden

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG05GhWwz0U[/youtube]

...and looks into undoing his circumcision

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFOwWaAL6ng[/youtube]

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:59 pm

This movie called The Real Old Testament also looks promising

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLl-ZlugH-o[/youtube]

although I think that some churches might have shown it for educational purposes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 12:18 am

I've often defended The Last Temptation Of Christ at church. Because Christ doesn't actually go and have sex with what Pat Robertson called a whore (Marry Magdalene) - rather, he (Christ, not Pat :lol: ) is tempted to live as a regular man, get married and make babies - but all the while he's in delirium on the cross. In the end, he chooses to accept his role as the Savior of mankind, and accepts death on the cross. I personally don't see anything so terrible about that.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 11:00 am

Well, Pat Robertson is clearly out for tithes and offerings. He and others also gave the movie an enormous amount of publicity. After what they were saying about the movie (I used to listen to Christian radio, because I couldn't get much else where I was living at the time), I just had to go and see it. Barbara Hersey was quite hot as Mary Magdalene.

I really enjoyed the book, too.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 12:32 am

In re Year One:

we generally like Jack Black, who regularly goes over the top but clearly has fun doing it [unlike some more sophisticated types]. But Year One - well, by us it failed. Brought to mind the line [very likely old, but I do not know of it beyond Dorothy Sayers' use of it] “Some people can be funny without being vulgar, and some can be both funny and vulgar. I should recommend you to be either the one or the other.” They try, but totally miss what Life of Brian attains.

But while you are looking into blasphemous films, check out Indoctrinate U.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:21 am

Good Omens has a hilarious take on the whole anti Christ The Omen scenario that probably could be called blasphemous. In the world of video games, the Assassin's Creed series has a very interesting take on the origins of religious myths.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:42 am

There's "Religulous" starring Bill Maher - its quite good.
I own a tape of "Dogma". Thought it was so-so. Maybe I should give it another try since the posters below recomend it so much.

If you're more into blasphemy than quality then you should watch Sarah Silverman's "Jesus is Magic" which is so blasphemous that it managed to offend even a not particularly religous viewer like me, but was only so-so as a film.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 03 Feb 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 2:42 am

There's "Religulous" starring that comic who's name escapes right now - its quite good.

If you're more into blasphemy than quality then you should watch Sarah Silverman's "Jesus is Magic" which is so blasphemous that it managed to offend even a not particularly religous viewer like me, but was only so-so as a film.