Page 1 of 24 [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 3:57 pm

As the article says, some judges have found it Constitutional, others not. It will be for the Supreme Court to figure out who is correct.

Current conventional wisdom is that it will be found Constitutional. But CW has failed before.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 4:09 pm

Who's conventional wisdom?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 4:23 pm

AngelRho wrote:

In the absence of a severibility clause, the entire law (all 10,000 pages) is unconstitutional.

ruveyn

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 4:24 pm

Various assessments that Ive read. Also, health care mandates were previously a Republican position, currently a Democratic position and recently the subject of a year of political wrangling. If the legal consensus were otherwise, no one would have bothered. That's just common sense. They do know how to retain legal counsel.

But anything can happen in the SC. If the law was a straightforward as math, we wouldnt need lawyers, just a computer to tally the values.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

Here we are, the last major industrialized nation not to provide universal health care. After more than 50 years of dreaming about it, it finally begins to become a reality, and the damned Republicans want to send us back to the dark ages.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:23 pm

"Let them eat cake"

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:32 pm

Or at least some oat bran and fax seed muffins.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:33 pm

pandabear wrote:
Here we are, the last major industrialized nation not to provide universal health care. After more than 50 years of dreaming about it, it finally begins to become a reality, and the damned Republicans want to send us back to the dark ages.

I'm not going to give up my liberty for government controlled health scams.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:43 pm

LOL ^
I have lived with health care my entire life. It consists of not much more then being able to get the care I have needed, when I have needed it, for little or no money. If you see that as violating your liberty, well, lets see how you feel when you can't afford the care you need

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:51 pm

Vigilans wrote:
LOL ^
I have lived with health care my entire life. It consists of not much more then being able to get the care I have needed, when I have needed it, for little or no money. If you see that as violating your liberty, well, lets see how you feel when you can't afford the care you need

Uh you can still get care in an emergency situation even if you don't have insurance, just you end up with a bill later.

However, I am not going to have Government tell me to commit suicide because they don't want to pay for my medication.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5517492&page=1

There is government run healthcare, it isn't some made up story pal, there's the smoking gun Conservatives will continue to point out.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:57 pm

simon_says wrote:
As the article says, some judges have found it Constitutional, others not. It will be for the Supreme Court to figure out who is correct.
hehe, so long for the justice system not being poisoned by partisanship.

If I was a betting man, (and I am ) I would say it will stay constitutional. It is clear that republicans seem to be the ones making a look of fuss whenever a judge declares it unconstitutional whereas they keep quiet when a judge does the opposite. Almost as if the republicans themselves were surprised and shocked when it happens.

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 31 Jan 2011, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:00 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
simon_says wrote:
hehe, so long for the justice system not being poisoned by partisanship.

:roll:

The Judge had two choices rule unconstitutional or say yes to government having unlimited control over people's lives.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:02 pm

But some judges claim it is constitutional while some do the opposite. This means that at least half of them is not ruling things out based on what the constitution actually says but based on their own partisan belief.

So, it basically means that whether it is constitutional or not is a matter of opinion now? Shouldn't the constitution make these things easier?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:09 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
But some judges claim it is constitutional while some do the opposite. This means that at least half of them is not ruling things out based on what the constitution actually says but based on their own partisan belief.

So, it basically means that whether it is constitutional or not is a matter of opinion now? Shouldn't the constitution make these things easier?

If the principle of stare decisis is followed any law that has one unconstitutional provision with a severability clause is unconstitutional in the entirety.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 31 Jan 2011, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Uh you can still get care in an emergency situation even if you don't have insurance, just you end up with a bill later.

Ok?
Quote:
However, I am not going to have Government tell me to commit suicide because they don't want to pay for my medication.

This is ridiculous I agree with you but is this how health care is actually supposed to work? Definitely not. Quebec Medicare is what got my girlfriend through cancer successfully, they didn't send her 'death pills', that is clearly not the purpose of health care :roll: Why would you assume they would rather you commit suicide over helping you? This case is obviously an example of bureaucratic mismanagement being typically blown out of proportion by media pundits