Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2011, 8:36 am

I look at peoples feet or some where else in the room. I often tilt my head towards the person i am listening to because I hear everything around me and have filter out there voice.

- Cruch Bang Linux.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Feb 2011, 4:07 pm

I look at whatever catches my interest.

Eye contact is actually kind of painful.

zackattack
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2011, 9:51 pm

I dont mind making eye contact during a conversation but when I'm being lectured to by an adult I tend to lose focus. But I still listen anyway.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 10:37 pm

I have no idea how you are supposed to have a serious conversation when you have to think about how much eye contact to make.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2011, 6:25 pm

I always stare at other people's eyes they tell me it is aggressive, the optican gave me a prescription for lenses which are dark, like sunglasses so I can read and see generally, but know one knows where my eyes are looking. Maybe you could wear sunglasses 8) and stop it being a problem.

Neurotypicals are reality blind.

DeusMechanicus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2011, 5:45 pm

Eye contact is important because it allows people to assess one’s social and physical intentions and health. On a basic and functional level, people are subconsciously looking out for mates and trying to avoid or manipulate strategies for conflict.
Humans are, a very strange species – it is safer to look at the ground. Wearing shaded glasses may result in social distrust. (They should all come with that warning!)
If I do not look at the ground, I stare. When I attempt to mediate my staring I find that I have not received enough information about what I was looking at and have to look quickly at it again (sometime several times) in order to construct and image in my mind of what I have observed. It is a time and energy consuming process and not at all comfortable.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 9:38 pm

I find that I look in people's general direction and will make I contact every 10-20 seconds--more if I know the person and am comfortable with them. But I really don't like I contact--I don't know why I just find it extremely uncomfortable. It's as though there's a magnetic repulsion between their eyes and mine and the closer I get to looking directly at them the stronger the urge I have to look away.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 10:49 pm

I am so insecure in terms of eye contact,I get so shy,even with people I partially know.I bolt through airports/stores like a blind bat!

Major_G
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2011, 5:57 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
I tend to look off to the side. It is very difficult for me to look at someone eyes while trying to listen to them. It also can be difficult to talk. I can't do all three. So, if I'm looking at you I'm probably not listening to you.

Definitely. I've noticed that if I'm looking at someone, I'm either not paying attention or lying, but if I'm NOT looking at them, I'm listening or being truthful.

asdmonger

16 Feb 2011, 8:34 pm

I hate eye contact. I just don't get what it's about, I can't read anything from it. I actually have difficulty focusing my eyes when I look into someone's face, and I can't seem to gather my thoughts. But over the years I've learned that it's critically important to most people, so I've learned to make some strong eye contact at the beginning of an encounter, then when I talk I let my eyes wander off. When something significant occurs, like the other person starts talking, I make contact again briefly and then let my eyes go away. A psychologist once described my eye contact as 'normal but intermittent'.

As far as the difficulty of having a serious conversation while thinking about making eye contact, I usually have three or four different 'threads' of thought going on in my head while I'm conversing. I think this is at least part of why I get overwhelmed when in a group and just clam up.

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2011, 1:23 am

I hate eye contact. but im really good at reading lips and that helps me to focus on what the person is saying especially since I also have ADD. eye contact kind of creeps me out and makes me extremely uncomfortable, but people dont like if you dont make eye contact :? so annoying