Movie Titles That Should Have Been Rethought

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kimmy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2011, 3:37 pm

There are some movies that have titles that are so bizzare that they make the movies sound like comedyes or pariodies.

Here are a few of them:
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Santa with Muscles (This movie Actually has THE Hulk Hogan starring as santa!)
The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy
The Saga of the Viking Women and Their Voyage to the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (I wish I was kidding with this one)
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Hercules in New York

Feel Free to add your own!

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

Dracula A.D. 1972

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

How about every SyFy original movie?
Aztec Rex
Mansquito
Mega Python VS Gatoroid
Sharktopus
And those are just a handful of their poorly named (& poorly made) movies! You can see the rest of them if you scroll down here: http://www.syfy.com/movies/?_source=Syfy_Global_Nav
How those guys can think anyone is able to take those movies seriously is beyond me.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:03 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
How about every SyFy original movie?
Aztec Rex
Mansquito
Mega Python VS Gatoroid
Sharktopus
And those are just a handful of their poorly named (& poorly made) movies! You can see the rest of them if you scroll down here: http://www.syfy.com/movies/?_source=Syfy_Global_Nav
How those guys can think anyone is able to take those movies seriously is beyond me.

I think you're missing the point. They're not meant to be taken seriously. They're supposed to be ridiculous and awful. Such movies are targeted at a very specific audience who enjoys that sort of thing.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:13 pm

Snakes On A Plane (so un-original)
Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull (too long)
Rambo 3 (it should have been called Rambo: First Blood: Part 3)
Rambo (2008) (Uhh, Rambo 4?)
Jack Frost (1999) (Well its a family movie which shares the same name as the Jack Frost movie from 1996, which is rated 18. That will confuse the hell out of mothers and terrify their children :lol:)

Last edited by Simonono on 02 Feb 2011, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:23 pm

How about some Doctor Who titles? I know that they're not movie titles, but there's a few howlers amongst them.

The Tribe of Gum (sometimes used to describe An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC)

Prisoners of Conciergerie (sixth episode of The Reign of Terror)

The Day of Reckoning, The End of Tomorrow, and The Waking Ally (these titles were used as those for episodes 3-5 of The Dalek Invasion of Earth, and have no bearing whatsoever of the story within these episodes, though The Waking Ally could have been used maybe as the title for episode 6)

The Wheel of Fortune (episode 3 of The Crusade)

The Death of Time (episode 2 of The Chase. *facepalm*)

Day of Armageddon and Coronas of the Sun (episodes 2 and 6 of The Dalek Masterplan. The title of episode 2 would have been clearer if they kept some dialogue in, but both titles don't make sense)

Don't Shoot the Pianist (episode 2 of The Gunfighters. It may be appropriate in-story, but damn if it isn't wince-inducing)

The Dominators (if they went with the original working title The Beautiful People, they could have avoided any number of jokes about S&M later on, which I read in a comic in Doctor Who magazine)

The Krotons (I'd like some with some soup, thanks)

Planet of Evil (the title is inappropriate because the planet itself isn't truly evil. Monstrous, yes, but its actions, while deadly, are understandable)

The Deadly Assassin (assassins, by definition, are meant to be deadly, even though Robert Holmes thought that there are plenty of non-deadly, incompetent assassins)

The Twin Dilemma (what's the dilemma?)

Vengeance on Varos (where's the vengeance, unless it is Jondar's rebellion?)

And while we're on the subject of crappy TV episode titles, how's about Blake's 7?

Space Fall

Time Squad
(this can only refer to a group of cryogenically frozen assassins, but it's still pretty crappy title, considering)

Dawn of the Gods (there was only one such 'god' in the story)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:26 pm

Simonono wrote:
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory (2005) (no, it's Charlie, not Willy! ! :lol:)

You got the date wrong. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came out in 2005, but Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory came out in 1971. :?

On sabbatical...

slasher666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2011, 6:51 pm

Hotel for Dogs- such a crappy title, but what can you do, the movie (which thank God I haven't actually seen) looks like something a 5- year-old would come up with.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- 1. the original book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so name it after the book you're
basing it on for crying out loud!
2. Charlie's the main character, so even though Willy Wonka is the 1 who owns the factory, name
it after Charlie.
3. Take that Simonono! You're wrong!

The Social Network- sounds like a good movie, but can you think of a more interesting title?

Snakes on a Plane- this title's so cheesy it's awesome. I wish I could see it.

Aaron and the Book of Wonders- in the movie, the book is actually called the Book of Marvels. I doubt many people know this movie, though. It's a cartoon movie that takes place in the old Jewish pioneer days in eastern Europe about a young Jewish boy and his talking goat who move to a town called Chelm (which is actually a real place in Poland) to live with his aunt and uncle, and in the town, everyone is stupid. And there's this magical book called the Book of Marvels.

Cowboys and Aliens- this upcoming movie looks interesting, but has such a lame title.

Let Me In- looks like 1 of those cheesy horror movies.

Drag Me to Hell- same as above.

Boys Town- nothing wrong with the title itself, but from what I've seen of it, it's really gay the way the characters say the name of the movie (also the name of the fictional town in which it takes place) like every 2 seconds.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is a bunny. Copy and paste him to aid him in his quest to take over the world.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:08 pm

Simonono wrote:
Snakes On A Plane (so un-original)

Agreed. I hate that title so much that I won't even bother watching the movie.

I also hate one-word titles.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:09 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Simonono wrote:
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory (2005) (no, it's Charlie, not Willy! ! :lol:)

You got the date wrong. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came out in 2005, but Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory came out in 1971. :?

*facepalms self* Well I don't go a day without getting something wrong :roll:

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory- 1. the original book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so name it after the book you're
basing it on for crying out loud!
2. Charlie's the main character, so even though Willy Wonka is the 1 who owns the factory, name
it after Charlie.
3. Take that Simonono! You're wrong!

I know, I'm always wrong :roll:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:18 pm

Home Alone 3 should've been titled Home Sick or something like that since it was never really a sequel of any sorts to the first two films. It had none of the original characters or any connection to the first 2 films either. It was just made by the same company with the same stupid gags taking over the film's core.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:01 pm

Kimmy wrote:

I've seen this. The title is the best part.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:04 pm

How about Terminator: Salvation. That should have been called Terminator: Death of a Franchise

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 11:15 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Home Alone 3 should've been titled Home Sick or something like that since it was never really a sequel of any sorts to the first two films. It had none of the original characters or any connection to the first 2 films either. It was just made by the same company with the same stupid gags taking over the film's core.

Many people think the same way over the movie Halloween III: Season of the Witch because it broke away from the Michael Myers storyline.

Some say that if it had been released as a separate film, entitled as just Season of the Witch, then it would have been more successful.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 11:44 pm

Yensid wrote:
Kimmy wrote:

I've seen this. The title is the best part.

The MST3K version, or the raw, unriffed version?

On sabbatical...