Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:19 am

I like slightly pervy romantic ones.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:47 am

I'm not really a big anime lover like all my friends are, but there's a few that I like such as Sailor Moon, Trigun, and Pet Shop of Horrors.

I'm thinking about ordering a yaoi OVA called Kizuna. Yaoi is supposed to be romance anime/manga that features homosexual relationships between beautiful male characters. This anime is the story of two guys named Ranmaru and Kei who have an unbreakable bond built on years of trust and sacriface and no matter what obstacles life throws them, they always stay in love. When I first heard about the anime it sounded really interesting so I decided to watch it on YouTube, and now I want to own it on DVD even though it only has two short episodes (OVAs don't have a lot of episodes for some reason).

Plus it'll be the first anime I ever owned on DVD. Every other anime I've seen either on TV or on YouTube.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:10 pm

All time favorite: Paranoia Agent

I like Blue Drop, and the theme music is unusually excellent for the genre

For light entertainment, I like Koihime Muso, Sekirei, and others that are cute, ecchi, and light on the violence. Koihime Muso may have the best closing theme ever.

I can't think of a single Western show where a character could make a heartfelt declaration of devotion to the ideal of love without becoming an object of mockery. Sad, really.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2011, 10:47 pm

I admit it. My favorite shows are mostly yaoi or yuri themed. Simoun, Sasamiki Koto, Junjou Romantica, and Noir. I'm big into Studio Ghibli movies too. Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movies ever.

aspie4jc
Raven
Raven

15 May 2011, 11:49 pm

Fruits Basket, all the way.

I never really got into manga or anime, even with all the kids I knew who loved Sailor Moon and others. A couple years ago, a friend/coworker invited me to watch Fruits Basket at her house. I got so hooked, I asked to borrow the rest of it and finished watching them by myself. I found the anime very helpful in understanding the storyline before reading the manga. I haven't finished the last ~6 books, so please don't write any spoilers here.

My favorite (and one I identify most with) is Kyo. I think he's the most aspie-ish, if any of them could be put on the spectrum. I can't help feeling a little bit connected to the tiger, Kisa, too....the way Tohru realizes and explains to Kisa's mom exactly how Kisa feels was dead-on. And Momiji, the blond boy who turns into a rabbit! Poor kid. I was in tears when he finished telling Tohru his story. However, I think I would most enjoy dressing up as the boy who turns into a cow, if I ever went to the local anime convention.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:41 pm

My only spolier for fruits basket is that Fruits basket is in the title. I am amazed that that is the case. :wink:

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

20 May 2011, 7:32 pm

My all time favorite anime is Wolf's Rain. It needs more love.
Princess Tutu needs love too, people.
I wish critics would take anime more seriously.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 11:14 pm

Based on the mentions here, I just watched the first two episodes of Fruits Basket. What a fun show!

I just finished watching Shuffle. I had my doubts about it for the first season, but the second season proved very interesting, even disturbing at times.

I think people in the West have to take the time to learn about Japanese culture enough to get the jokes, and accept as harmless fun things that might initially offend them, in order to take it seriously. I wouldn't want it to become too popular, or they might start catering to American tastes. :evil:

I think the first anime I ever watched was Keiko Kamen. I'd avoid the live action films, though.