Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Phob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2011, 6:24 pm

I do like anime, though, to be perfectly honest, I'm actually more of a manga person, and even more of a J-Drama person :D
But anime is good, and there are a lot of great films and series. :D

MelyssaK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2011, 7:22 pm

Zokk wrote:
MelyssaK wrote:
You ever see Blue Submarine No. 6?

I actually have that near the top of my my 'to watch' list. It looks pretty good.
It was on Cartoon Network as part of Toonami, um, like, 10 years ago, I think; back when they played Gundam Wing and the Tenchi series on Cartoon Network. I think it has 6 episodes, so it's more like a long movie than an actual running series.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:56 am

BTW, anyone into the webcomic/manga Megatokyo? I would seriously love to see that as an anime, problem is who would be crazy enough to produce it? (Besides Gainax, I mean)

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:35 am

ssjgoku wrote:
anyone like dbz/one piece/naruto/bleach etc???

Yes ... in addition to Captain Tsubasa.

I also follow the Captain Tsubasa manga.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:36 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
BTW, anyone into the webcomic/manga Megatokyo? I would seriously love to see that as an anime, problem is who would be crazy enough to produce it? (Besides Gainax, I mean)

YES! I love that webcomic. The only other coming (not manga-like though) that comes close to its amazing diversity of plots and characters is Sluggy Freelance.

As for anime... I'm into semi-realistic space stuff. I don't get the fascination with robots and stuff (though I admit the robotech jet fighters were very cool) and love to watch those rare animes that manage to mix historic stuff+fantasy(or scifi)+slice of life type of things.

Starship Operators
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Tenchi Muyo was quite interesting since it detailed family life routines (in between the zanyness)
Anything Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli
Silent Service
Zippang
Moribito

among others.

scottmyers14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2011, 5:43 pm

I do like anime, mainly Dragonball Z. I like the show because of the characters like Piccolo, Vegeta, Goku, Trunks, and many more, the fight scenes, the music, video games of dbz, and the comedy.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 8:20 pm

I use to be big on anime back in college but now have lost interest in pretty much all of it for various reasons (ridicule, attracting unwanted attention, over Americanized marketing, etc). My dad still thinks I'm anime fan though which is very annoying.

MelyssaK

08 Feb 2011, 12:10 am

Dantac wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

YES! I love that webcomic. The only other coming (not manga-like though) that comes close to its amazing diversity of plots and characters is Sluggy Freelance.

As for anime... I'm into semi-realistic space stuff. I don't get the fascination with robots and stuff (though I admit the robotech jet fighters were very cool) and love to watch those rare animes that manage to mix historic stuff+fantasy(or scifi)+slice of life type of things.

Starship Operators
Tenchi Muyo was quite interesting since it detailed family life routines (in between the zanyness)
Silent Service
Zippang
Moribito

among others.

YES! I forgot about Moribito! I loved that series! Disappointed Mona Marshall played Chagum, though. She is a great voice actress, but she is overused to voice young boys. It takes away from the uniqueness of the characters she voices.

LuckyNumber9

09 Feb 2011, 4:50 pm

I love Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z etc. the whole DB franchise.

Also into Studio Ghibli movies, as well as Akira, Tank Police, Cowboy Bebop etc.

Not a fan of Pokemon or any of those card game/monster battle shows though.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 5:01 pm

MelyssaK wrote:
Dantac wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

Starship Operators
Silent Service
Zippang
Moribito

among others.

YES! I forgot about Moribito! I loved that series! Disappointed Mona Marshall played Chagum, though. She is a great voice actress, but she is overused to voice young boys. It takes away from the uniqueness of the characters she voices.

I never watch dubbed anime. Subbed always.

The translation in dubs is horrendous. The US censorship plus the networks requirement that the anime fit the target market makes them change character personalities, plot themes and many other things.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 6:11 pm

Dantac wrote:
MelyssaK wrote:

I never watch dubbed anime. Subbed always.

The translation in dubs is horrendous. The US censorship plus the networks requirement that the anime fit the target market makes them change character personalities, plot themes and many other things.

But dubs have gotten better over the last few years, not counting a lot of the stuff meant for kids, for example the dub of Lucky star actually keeps all of the honorifics and other words, not to mention they also had voice actors in it that did the same roles as what japanese had to keep some of the jokes. I am usually a sub person myself, but you are being silly if you are not giving any dubs a chance.

One good example I found was the series Spice and Wolf, I originally watched it in Japanese and subtitles, I was a big fan of the original voice actors, but I decided to give the dub a spin and was happy that was not any change to characters, I do prefer the original a bit more, but this way I was able to actually hear the certain way of speaking of one of the characters that was hard to understand in the original. Then there are shows like Hellsing which have the characters speak and have the accents that they were meant to have, and Crispin Freeman's Alucard is top notch.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:29 am

Does Samurai Jack count?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:06 am

GammaGeek wrote:
Does Samurai Jack count?

Samurai Jack was made in America so it does not count as anime, anime itself is actually the Japanese word for animation, so it usually only refers to Japanese animation.

It is sometimes refered to as a style, but of course styles can vary, there was a series not long ago called Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt that used a lot of American influences in it, they actually look quite a lot like the Power Puff Girls. I will post their music video short that makes quite a few references to popular music (WARNING this show is not safe for younger audiences, don't say I gave no warning).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KN0_-HgWNo[/youtube]

kguirnela
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2011, 8:58 pm

Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Death Note

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2011, 9:29 pm

As you can see with my avatar, I'm a gundam fan :D

Also a huge dragonball/dbz fan, though I didn't watch dbgt. The only other series which I've really gotten into are inuyasha and bleach. I love Hayao Miyazaki movies too.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:34 am

Gintama all the way.