Do a lot of Aspies have a particular writing style?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:25 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
syrella wrote:
When I was little, I used to say things like, "I have an injury" instead of "I have a boo-boo" or "I got hurt."

LOL. When I was 3 or 4 I was in the hospital for asthma and I told the nurse I had to make a bowel movement.

When I was in grad school, another grad student said that I "talked like a textbook". That's pretty bad, considering that most grad students are pretty articulate. I must be pretty bad.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:28 pm

My writing style is pretty formal, with lots of "ifs" and "buts" and lots of extra clauses. I tend to use formal language, but I've been training myself to use slang once in a while. I tend to ramble on, because I hate to be misunderstood, so I really want to make sure that I say exactly what I mean.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

Yensid wrote:
My writing style is pretty formal, with lots of "ifs" and "buts" and lots of extra clauses. I tend to use formal language, but I've been training myself to use slang once in a while. I tend to ramble on, because I hate to be misunderstood, so I really want to make sure that I say exactly what I mean.

I started using slang actively sometime in my 20s, but it was pretty idiosyncratic and eclectic, and not actually the slang popular at the time. Well, some of the slang. I actually picked up some textisms on livejournal, but I find it very difficult to primarily write in them. Mostly, they're more like knowing how to answer "How are you?" when someone asks casually.

doeintheheadlights
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm

I've been told my writing style is very quirky. I'm a good writer, but I do write a lot and tend to go on and on. I failed a paper once because I wrote a 15 page essay for an 8 page assignment. Oops.