Do a lot of Aspies have a particular writing style?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

..Are you verbose? Blunt? Hate to write? Love it?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 10:39 am

I don't know there is a particular "Aspie Style". Autistics are a diverse group. I prefer written communication. I do tend to get overly pedantic and use excessively dense vocabulary.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 10:41 am

I tend to get very satirical, dry, blunt, and detailed in my writings. A La Vonnegut and pratchet XD

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 10:43 am

I love to write. I think I am somewhat blunt or obtuse, but don't always like it. I don't always appreciate the same quality in others. I do it naturally, though. I try to temper it, somewhat. I would like to think of myself as an analytical thinker who wishes to know answers to life's mysteries. I would label myself "curious."
I tend to not click on "preview," when I post. Instead, I head straight for "submit." Then, I go back and edit after it's submitted. :oops:
It would probably be easier to preview first, but, for some reason, I post it impulsively.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 04 Feb 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 10:45 am

Me, too! It really made me mad as a 12-year-old on the middle school yearbook staff, because they always seemed to edit my pages and 'dumb them down' :lol:

..But then I read over stuff like that again and think, "WOW! That looks ridiculously uppity!" ...haha

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 11:52 am

I write in a very long-winded way, as if I'm writing an essay.

I'm trying to learn how to say things more directly, but it's hard. I tend to be very wordy. I'm also very likely to use obscure words in common daily speech.

When I was little, I used to say things like, "I have an injury" instead of "I have a boo-boo" or "I got hurt."

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:00 pm

syrella wrote:
When I was little, I used to say things like, "I have an injury" instead of "I have a boo-boo" or "I got hurt."

LOL. When I was 3 or 4 I was in the hospital for asthma and I told the nurse I had to make a bowel movement.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
syrella wrote:

LOL. When I was 3 or 4 I was in the hospital for asthma and I told the nurse I had to make a bowel movement.

Hahaha. Yeah. Exactly like that. :D

cdlu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2011, 1:01 pm

I tend to write well and in great depth, though will spare you in this thread. By contrast, verbally I am quiet, brief, and not eloquent.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Feb 2011, 1:10 pm

I love to write (nonfiction, business letters, newspaper editorial rebuttals, etc etc). I am not interested in writing creatively, however. I tend to use good imagery in my writing, and I have been accused of placing too much focus on fine points which might bore the reader.

Charles

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 1:27 pm

I might err now and then in spelling and grammar, however, I have a fond appreciation and profound respect for the writing process. I consider it quite therapeutic.

cdlu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2011, 1:34 pm

syrella wrote:

According to my family, my first-ever words were not "mommy!" or anything of that nature, but "I want a cookie."

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2011, 1:35 pm

I love writing, and I am good at it. I tend towards verbosity, but over the years I have learned to self-edit better. I have also noticed that my writing, especially in essays, has always tended to be more formal than that of my peers. My speech was formal as a child, too - in the way that others on this thread have mentioned. :D I still dislike baby-talk and refuse to do it with children - or with animals.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 1:46 pm

I've not noticed a particular aspie style. Some go in for over verbosity. I like short and sweet, though I've an attention problem, so that might have something to do with it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

cdlu wrote:
syrella wrote:

According to my family, my first-ever words were not "mommy!" or anything of that nature, but "I want a cookie."

I hated, absolutely hated words like "tummy" or "owie" or other informal cutesy terms. I'd always go for what I perceived to be more technically accurate. Per reports, I did use some, but at some point I know I hated and avoided them. I refused to use "mommy" or "daddy" at a young age and stuck with "mom" and "dad" instead.

My writing can be pedantic. I try to be thorough and explain in as many details as seems necessary to me to make my point. I use words that I'm told indicate I'm showing off, but it's reflexive and I don't really invest that much emotion in the particular words I use. I have a lot of trouble just directly saying what I want to say. Or rather, what others would say is direct. To me, it all seems pretty necessary to make my point.

cdlu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2011, 2:45 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I hated, absolutely hated words like "tummy" or "owie" or other informal cutesy terms. I'd always go for what I perceived to be more technically accurate. Per reports, I did use some, but at some point I know I hated and avoided them. I refused to use "mommy" or "daddy" at a young age and stuck with "mom" and "dad" instead.

Hear, hear. I hated baby talk as a child and still do now. If you treat someone as an adult, they'll get there faster, in my opinion. I never got along with people my own age until my late teens, always finding retirement-age people the easiest to speak to.

Verdandi wrote:
My writing can be pedantic. I try to be thorough and explain in as many details as seems necessary to me to make my point. I use words that I'm told indicate I'm showing off, but it's reflexive and I don't really invest that much emotion in the particular words I use. I have a lot of trouble just directly saying what I want to say. Or rather, what others would say is direct. To me, it all seems pretty necessary to make my point.

Again, very much in agreement on this. I rarely take the time to write something short and would rather over-explain a point and use several examples than leave any ambiguity. One of the things I am learning in this forum to which I am still quite new is that that is largely unnecessary because, for once, I feel like me and the people here are on the same wavelength.

It is very refreshing.