Why did people hate primary school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 11:43 pm

It was back in those days when there were barely any homework. Somehow most people said that they hated school. I only started to understand why people would hate school once the workload started to get heavy in grade 7 or something.

Why do little kids hate school? I'm actually shocked because I thought NTs love to have social interaction with people. At home its only with their parents and siblings.

I loved primary school and I cried when I got sick and had to stay home because it was boring not to go to school.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 12:40 am

Because I got bullied there, really, really badly. It was also physical bullying, not just teasing.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2011, 1:48 am

I was homeschooled through primary and intermediate, so I would have no idea what primary school is like.

When you say that 'people' hate primary school, do you mean primary school students or those who have grown up and are now in high school or older? If they are kids, then they probably hate it because they have not yet experienced high school and by comparison to kindergarten primary seems awful. If they are older, they probably recall being bullied or lifestyle changes to a more work-based one, and that has not changed much since, merely gotten heavier.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2011, 6:38 am

The above poster got it right - primary school kids "hate" primary school because they can't compare it to high school.

I hated primary school - it was a small primary school with bullies, and it didn't work out that well for a socially awkward child.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:47 am

MathGirl wrote:
Because I got bullied there, really, really badly. It was also physical bullying, not just teasing.

I got bullied by one or two people but somehow it wasn't to an extent that I would've rather stayed home.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:49 am

E-FrameZenderblast wrote:
When you say that 'people' hate primary school, do you mean primary school students or those who have grown up and are now in high school or older? If they are kids, then they probably hate it because they have not yet experienced high school and by comparison to kindergarten primary seems awful. If they are older, they probably recall being bullied or lifestyle changes to a more work-based one, and that has not changed much since, merely gotten heavier.

Are you serious? I still find primary to be better than high school. There were not much responsibilities, just behave well.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:23 am

I loved school up until the age of 10. After that, my peers absolutely destroyed my self-esteem so I couldn't even focus on my schoolwork. I was always bullied and people always talked crap on me; it wasn't a safe place at all. It was hard to be happy and care free. I would have loved to have been able to focus on my work and not on the drama that was going on around me.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

I was isolated as a kid. A lot of the peers isolated me. I wasn't allowed to play with them.

It was a lot less teasing and a lot more physical when I was in primary school.

I loved learning, just I was always kind of alone. I didn't understand either what I had done wrong.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 6:49 pm

Because I was bullied, I actually tried to fit in and I rejected music, which is what I HATE most about my younger self.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 7:29 am

I liked primary school. I was at a point where I really didn't give a crap about anything or anyone but myself, which probably sounds horrible, but at 8 years old it was bliss.

Idolatry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2011, 12:25 pm

Why did I hate primary/elementary school? Too easy academically, awkward socially. I also got bullied through five of the six schools I went through constituting primary school.

Concerning academics, my school(s) were severely underfunded and filled with the lowest common denominator along with teachers with no interest in teaching. I was surprised later on that some teachers actually like educating others beyond being paid for it.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 1:53 pm

Primary School was an attempt to drive conformity ini and freedom of thought out. I absolutely despised it, more than anything in my entire life.

The general idea was, that each student would have to take the same selection of subjects, some useful, some absolutely useless (like irish, and religion). They had to spend the entire day doing work, most of which was irrelevant to actually learning the subject. We took down lists of vocabulary for geography, we had to write the answer to questions three times for English (word for word), and write the question too. It was brain deadening, crampish work.

If you kept your mouth shut and head down, you would be fine. If you questioned why you had to do this, or just refused to (I never did my homework more than two or three times during my entire primary education), you'd have the equivalent of an eight foot man bellowing furiously at you, for up to an hour. That was a weekly event, guaranteed to f**k up any kid.

By fourth class (age 10 - 11), I just couldn't give a s**t about school anymore, and just sat at the back of the class reading a Leaving Cert level Chemistry book, or something about Roman History. My teacher that year was nice enough to let me be after one day I correctly identified Zeno's Paradox (he phrased it as "if a ball bounces, then bounces half as high, and then bounces half as high... how many times will it bounce?"). I learned a lot that year, far more than any other year :roll:

All of my experiences in school have very, very strongly inspired me to advocate abolishing Public Education, because its quality is so poor that all it does is foster a hatred of leaning in people.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 12:12 am

I didn't like elementary school, and it had nothing to do with the workload. I was sort of traumatized by the staff in early elementary school. My teachers in Grade 1 weren't all that great. At least, one of them. For example, this is kind of embarrassing but I had a schedule for the day on my desk, and I was the only one who had it. The teacher made me do the morning and afternoon separately. Once, I asked her what we were doing one afternoon and she said "work". She also thought that my anxiety was caused by lack of sleep, (which it wasn't) and suggested that I just come to school in the afternoon. I didn't end up doing that and I think she was kind of annoyed. There was no routine in Grade 1 either. Every day was a completely different. Even if the teacher SAID we were going to do something, (which was only 30% of the time) 95% of the time, we would do something completely different, with no warning. They were hard markers as well, you won't be able to guess how many things I "needed improvement" in, on my second report card in Grade 1.

I also didn't like the admin during Grades K-2 all that much. I don't want to talk about my experiences with them because they are personal, but I have to say that they were quite traumatizing.

So, it was really the people that I didn't like at elementary school. I didn't mind in Grades 4 and 5 because the people changed.

EXCEPT:

Once in Grade 5, this "friend" told me that people thought I was weird and were spreading rumours about me. She said that someone in her class (we were in different classes) wrote a mean note about me and the teacher saw it and got mad. She also told me that someone carved "_____ is a big fat a**hole" (The blank is for my name) on the bathroom wall. I told her to show it to me so she took me to the washroom and it wasn't there. I'm not even sure if what she said was true.

There were also these younger kids who told me that I was in Kindergarten all the time when I was in Grade 4 and 5. I actually went to the Kindergarten room after they told me this once.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 9:40 am

MathGirl wrote:

+1

I loved learning. I hated school.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 3:47 am

Early on, I liked school in principle, as a place of knowledge. Of course, this idea eroded quickly, and was replaced with constant bullying. I was even suspended because of a witch trial - the Principal asked all of my bullies if I threatened to hurt them. I hadn't, but how f-ing stupid must he have been? Now I know that school is complete BS and is more brainwashing that actual education. So yes, I have contempt for school, as I do for the rest of society.

But they do not have me

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 4:20 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I liked primary school. I was at a point where I really didn't give a crap about anything or anyone but myself, which probably sounds horrible, but at 8 years old it was bliss.

This.