Why do boys want good-looking girls?

Page 1 of 15 [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2005, 8:47 pm

Ever since I was born, there have been things in this world I do not understand. I do not understand why people buy Windows computers when Macintosh computers look nicer and are much more user-friendly. i do not understand why people drink coffee in the morning when all you get is a bitter aftertaste. But most of all, I do not understand why people make such a big deal over body appearance. I mean, all the boys at my school are all obsessed with "hot chicks", as they call them, which I think means "beautiful girls" even though it sound like "baby chickens with fevers". I mean, at the last All-school party, my friend Courtney and I got ourselves a picture of us in front of the big Christmas tree. I realize that now that was a BIG mistake! 8O
When I came back from Christmas break with my picture, some mean boys and their prissy girlfriends came up to me and snatched it out of my hands.
"Oooo, is that your girlfriend, Chris?" asked a boy.
"No, she's-"
"Oh my God! She is so gosh darn ugly! Christopher, try dating a girl instead of a buck-toothed beaver!"
"She's not ugly, and she's not a beaver."
"Dude, don't you want hot chicks? They look great when they're[I'm not going to type what they said, as it would get me in trouble]."
I snatched the picture back and gave them a talk.
"You know, beauty is not something I look for in a girl. I look for girls who are friendly, intelligent, have similar interests, have a nice personality, and are NOT ridiculously good looking like your prissy girls next to you."
"Whatever." They walked away.

That was not the end. Later, whenever Courtney and I were walking down the hallway, a mean girl named Tori Cope walked up to her and said, "You're really ugly!" I got really mad and punched her in the face. She ran away. I was lucky she didn't tell a teacher.

I like Courtney because she has all the things I look for in a girl, but she doesn't want to go out with me yet, and I respect that. I don't badger her and bother her about going out like I used to to other girls when I was younger.

I just don't understand. Why are men so concerned about having girls who are hot? If you know, can you tell me?

P. S. Courtney claims to even know this incident happened. I think it's because she pretended not to notice Tori's insult.

:star:

Last edited by Chris on 10 Jan 2005, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 8:58 pm

I think its great that you have such maturity about this issue Chris. I think that with young boys a lot of it is just talk. They want to fit it and they are yet to learn that what makes a person attractive is about much more than their looks. Its also great that you stuck up for your friend- but you need to avoid violence in these situations (one reason being that you would be the one that would get into trouble about this not the guy who was being so cruel).

As for the coffee- when you get older its harded to start rushing around in the morning without the blessed caffiene. :lol:

Mel

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 9:14 pm

My girl freind has feckels, dirty blonde hair, and braces, and when a, um, busnesse end of a donkey insults her, he is most likey gonna end up in a very small highschool-locker, nobody calls her ugly. I don't like the "barbie-knockoffs" cause most likely they are gonna be preps.

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2005, 9:18 pm

Hey Chris,

I agree with Melvin, but I think it's also partly the way we are taught to think about girls by the society we live in and the way the media (especially reality TV shows, Dating shows - i.e. The Bachelorette, etc - and our 'worship' of celebrity figures, who are always 'hot' and 'cool.' I feel the same way about girls that you do, and am glad I"m not the only one.

As for the computer debate - the only reason people buy Windows PCs over Macs is because a) It's the most popular (not necessarily the best) operating system around, b) there is more software available for it than for Macintosh, and c) Compatibilty - esp. for business owners, they have to be compatible with other companies when tranferring documents, files, pictures, etc. by e-mail or other formats, and if they all have Windows Machines, you want to be compatible with them.
Of course, there are now applications like OpenOffice.org (an equivalent to Microsoft Office) that runs on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux (my favorite operating system) and can read/write Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents very accurately, so people might branch out in the future.

Hope that helps.

mentalman

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2005, 10:01 pm

i dont like only pretty girls. i suppose there is a line appearance wise but i'm mainly attracted to the person. its a shame that they are never attracted to me :lol:

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2005, 11:25 pm

Wow. You aspie guys are so cool about this issue. I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprized. :)

mentalman

10 Jan 2005, 12:24 am

Hey Jennie,

JennieRichee wrote:
Wow. You aspie guys are so cool about this issue. I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprized. :)

Partly because we don't understand them or maybe because we see through the facade of the whole thing, we are not quite as affected by all that stuff, and so we have to think up our own ways of dealing w/ the relationships and the questions and have pleasantly different opinions about this topic.

mentalman

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 3:38 am

I agree, while looks may be a factor in attractiveness it is in no way the only one (and what we find attractive physically is often not dictated by the media anyway like many people - sod peer pressure - heh heh). The drive for conformity to society's expectations of what you should judge a person on is a big problem with a lot of people your age chris - all you can do is laugh at the 'sheep' from inside your head until people start to grow up.

And mentalman - has 'melvin' had a change of gender? 8O melvis is a she.... :oops:

dunc :lol:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 7:16 pm

hmm. The first question I want to ask is how old are you? It's seems people are more attracted to "better looking" people, but only people with intense immaturity would tell people about it or make fun or be nasty to someone about it to their face.

I'm assuming these people are around 13-17, when people act like that. (to be honest, an age group I can't really be bothered with)

Those people are entitled to think that but maybe when they get older they'll relise that you just don't say that to people. *thumbs down*

Anyway, to answer your origional question, I will say this.

Humans are animals. The dominent animals always get the most mates, it's a matter of gene selection to ensure the best possible genes for their offspring.

Humans don't relise this on their usual brain level, but their animal magnetism sees someone they like, and their primitive brain kicks into thinking that person I want to mate with as they have the best genes.

What determines what "good genes" are in humans is a mystery, as skinny blondes don't have any more chance of survival than normal people.

*Perhaps things like having a healthy looking body make the primitive brain think that the person has good genes?

*I don't want anyone to get offended by this as it's my theory about why this happens. Not saying there's any facts to back this up for humans.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2005, 7:22 pm

I'm 13, and Courtney is 11. My few friends are all 6th graders. In my grade level, I have lots of acquaintances, but no friends. I'm not interested in having any friends in my grade either.

Cookiemobsta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2005, 1:07 am

Guys wants girlfriends that are "hot" because a lot of guys want girlfriends for the wrong reason.
If they want to mess around physically, then they need a girlfriend who is good looking or it's not really as fun.
If they want a girlfriend to be arm candy so they can show her off around school, they need a pretty one as well, etc.
If they want a girlfriend so they can love and cherish her, they won't care about her looks.
The best girls only want boyfriends that will love and cherish them, not use them as means to an end, which means that if you're looking for a girlfriend that will love you and not dump you when the relationship isn't quite as much fun as it was or because another guy has a more manly chin or bigger biceps, you're on the right track :)
(That's not to assume that you're trying to get a girlfriend right now-just letting you know that your attiude towards women will pay off in the future).
(And just so you know-Courtney's on to something. There's no reason for a dating relationship while you're still in middle school-just enjoy each other as friends.)

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2005, 5:29 pm

You're right. I never actually asked her about going out. How I figured out she didn't want to was like this:

We were eating at McDonalds on a National History Day research trip. We were sitting together and laughing and having a good time. However, some other evil, gossiping and smart girls in sixth grade looked at us and sighed. "Oh, they look so cute together, don't they?" said Taylor Parmley.
"Yeah. I wish they would just go out so that we could spread the word." said Randa Butler.
We glared at them. "We don't want to go out!" said Courtney. "We're just friends, and we're going to stay that way." I agreed with her, so I said so. "I agree." I said. I never even considered going out from that point on, even though other people think we are thanks to a nasty rumor started by Taylor Parmley.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 6:27 pm

I'll give a science lesson on it when I have time.
It has little to do with being shallow or acting immature.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 6:38 pm

care to elaborate absolute zero? conforming to cultural expectations has little to do with science and more to do with peer pressure. the criteria for attractiveness as defined by society is a fluid concept which varies between societies and time periods - and often has little to do with fertility. hale_bopp was right I think regarding the primeval brain, which may have been programmed to recognise certain features, like broad hips or muscular build, but that doesn't appear to be universally applicable or everyone nowadays would 'go for' the same type of person.

dunc

FOR THE HORDE!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 6:44 pm

if you people read my post it provides a good explanation for this.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 6:49 pm

It does hale_bopp, just adding my thoughts. :)

FOR THE HORDE!