Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are more inclusive gender options on Wrong Planet profiles a good idea?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 43 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
It doesn't apply to me/don't care 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 54

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:54 am

murphycop wrote:
Delirium wrote:
murphycop wrote:
If I thought I was a crocidile, i'd get locked in a padded cell. There isn't any proof for a lot of this stuff. Although, I do believe in some of it. What don't I get? Its just as likely that they don't "get it", if they think they're something other than male or female.

Well it seems ok for some of the people in question to, so yes, why not.

Actually, they have studied trans people's brains and their brains actually resemble the gender that they want to be.

Maybe cause they're gay? :wink: I didn't say I didn't believe in transexuals, as in people who think they're male or female. To me, thats still two genders.

Gay people don't want to be the opposite gender.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 12:53 pm

murphycop wrote:
So what are they, gender benders? Its just another case of society gone made in my view. If they feel inside they are the opposite to what they were born as, then they are either that gender or the one they are currently, nothing in between.

Okay, let's leave gender dysphoria to the side for the moment.

What of people who are intersexed? Where do you classify people with Kleinfelter's Syndrome or Turner's Syndrome? Conservatively, there are perhaps 6 million people on the planet with sex chromosome abnormalities. Do you suggest that everyone must simply be classified by their external genitalia?

Certainly 99.9% of people fit within the simple model of sexual dimorphism. But we are intelligent enough to encompass a broader understanding of what it means to be human. We are capable of understanding that the categories of male and female are sufficient for the vast majority, but they are not universal.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:29 am

Delirium wrote:
murphycop wrote:
Delirium wrote:
murphycop wrote:
If I thought I was a crocidile, i'd get locked in a padded cell. There isn't any proof for a lot of this stuff. Although, I do believe in some of it. What don't I get? Its just as likely that they don't "get it", if they think they're something other than male or female.

Well it seems ok for some of the people in question to, so yes, why not.

Actually, they have studied trans people's brains and their brains actually resemble the gender that they want to be.

Maybe cause they're gay? :wink: I didn't say I didn't believe in transexuals, as in people who think they're male or female. To me, thats still two genders.

Gay people don't want to be the opposite gender.

Thats why I put the wink there. But maybe in some cases they do.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 6:33 am

visagrunt wrote:
murphycop wrote:
So what are they, gender benders? Its just another case of society gone made in my view. If they feel inside they are the opposite to what they were born as, then they are either that gender or the one they are currently, nothing in between.

Okay, let's leave gender dysphoria to the side for the moment.

What of people who are intersexed? Where do you classify people with Kleinfelter's Syndrome or Turner's Syndrome? Conservatively, there are perhaps 6 million people on the planet with sex chromosome abnormalities. Do you suggest that everyone must simply be classified by their external genitalia?

Certainly 99.9% of people fit within the simple model of sexual dimorphism. But we are intelligent enough to encompass a broader understanding of what it means to be human. We are capable of understanding that the categories of male and female are sufficient for the vast majority, but they are not universal.

See I did say physically to volo, but she said no not physically. What about hermaphrodite's? Like the female runner who won the gold medal by a mile. She was tested for drugs and stuff, turned out she had some male organs inside I think. And they removed them. She's still a woman.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 May 2011, 6:49 pm

Eh, a prominent autistic self-advocate (Jim Sinclair) was not on the gender binary. Xe was neither male nor female, and non-binary gender was absolutely not a trend at the time. Apparently, gender variance is fairly common among people on the autistic spectrum.

I looked up and resurrected this thread because I would dearly love to see non-binary gender options.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 8:52 am

https://youtu.be/_VeLOIxiG4c

genderless people exist, check out Toby.

Gossip Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

Okaaaay. I think people might be getting a bit to caught up in all the tiny details and extensive views on gender descriptions, and are forgetting what this thread is for. This is what I think: The 'gender' option on your profile is a very vague, broad setting that is not designed to give away specific or lengthy explanations. Regardless what you believe about your own personal identity and views, the 'gender' setting is not the place to make this known. It's there to give an extremely rough idea of the person associated with the username. For that reason, I think it should be as simple as Male, Female, Other and Unspecified. Anything more specific is best left up to individual discussion, outside of that setting.