Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:08 am

Tawaki wrote:
My two pennies into the hat.

In my area (midwest US), the only time I've seen IED diagnosed is in children under 18 so they are not saddled with a bipolar diagnosis. Insurance will pay for therapies for IED. They really fight bipolar diagnosis for kids.

The IED diagnosis is new, and I believe just came out with the DSM V. I understood it was put there so kids weren't just dumped into the bipolar bucket because no other diagnosis was a better fit.

My husband has Aspergers. His depression, anxiety, ruminating, meltdowns, lack of decent executive functioning skills all stem from his Aspergers. This is the kicker. Our insurance will pay for NOTHING if the main diagnosis is autism. Why? There is no therapies that will get you back to "normal", if you are an adult. At least that's how my insurance rolls.

So...my husband's psychiatrist puts down he has anxiety, OCD and depression because insurance will pay for that.

The psychologist, who diagnosed my husband, says the bulk of testing clients roll in with a boat load of multiple diagnosis.

OCD, GAD, SocAD, depression, misophonia, food aversion, anorexia, agoraphobia, schizoid personality disorder....

The issue is, if you only put autism as the diagnosis, will the insurance pay for therapies? Mine absolute will not. This psychologist is mostly private pay. When he sends the clients away he will also include depression and anxiety as secondary diagnosis, so the treating psychiatrist has a billable diagnosis.

I'm wondering if you are just having meltdowns from stress and sensory overloads, and the IED was put there for handiness sake.

Meltdowns---->no coverage for therapies.
IED----->coverage for therapies.

I've worked with kids with ODD, and been around kids with IED. They present differently.

I hope whatever your diagnosis is that the meltdowns decrease. Those are so draining.

That's very interesting how disorders are also diagnosed. I wonder what happens when an autistic person goes for therapy and their rituals and routines and obsessions are treated as them having OCD or what if their anxiety alone only gets treated and their depression, how does that help them? Their problems from their autism would still be there. This also helps explain why I also have the OCD and anxiety diagnoses, so I can get treatment still because Asperger's alone will not do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cleejonez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2018, 11:49 am

Makes me so sad to see people suffering like this. Over the past 4 months my episodes are more frequent and more severe. Diet could be a catalyst factor, not the only one, in the frequency and severity. I investigated 'wheat' and have cut this out and have been off wheat for a month. Winter seems to be more severe than warmer months. I can at least control these episodes to a degree but last night....I had one hell of an outburst...no damage but the pets are freaked out by it. The last thing I ever want to do is hurt them. They are my heart. That is why this disorder is so horrible...you feel like a piece of s**t after. I'm going to check out those isochronic entrainments and see if they help. The last thing I want to do is take drugs for it. It seems drugs could be why I have this.

I never had this problem until I had been taking Cymbalta and while on and then stopping it...is when this insanity started.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2018, 11:49 am

An update:

I had a hospitalization because of it -IED . Kind of a psychotic break. I'm much better now. That was my last major blow-up. Now that I'm on actual psych meds, they're really helping me keep level.

cleejonez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

February 7, 2018 UPDATE

Now, this probably won't work for everyone as I have read but I thought I'd try it out for myself. It has been 4 days since I started taking 'Gaba'. You will feel a bit tingly/weird for the first hour or so but then it level off. .... and ya... it takes away that yucky feeling like you're going to loose it. The moment in the afternoon it starts again...I take more and again...it goes away. This has been a 'gawd send'. So...you figure out the dosages for yourself. The bottle says to take (NOW brand of Gaba 750 mg veggie capsules) 1 to 2 capsules 1 to 2 times a day , 'as needed' on an empty stomach with water/juice. A website that seems to be affiliated with NOW states you can take 1 to 4 capsules at a time. Other sites say more...up to 10 mgs a day spread out. Gauge it for yourself....but don't go goofy. I'll never take anti-psychotics again. It is SO hard to get off them and they just didn't really work for me after a short period of time.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:56 pm

I have known people like this. They are very scary. I was prone to anger when I was younger, but it was usually when people underestimated by abilities.

TheWay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2018, 11:03 pm

Find a good anti-depressant. It will help.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:06 pm

Julz wrote:
Hello all,

I am new here by the way, just know me as Julz. I'm 18 and not only am I Aspergian, I also have a mental disability called an Intermittent Explosive Disorder. Not many people have heard of this disorder and I've not ever met someone who has this at all.

An Intermittent Explosive Disorder (abbreviated to IED), as I quote from Wikipedia, is a behavioural disorder characterised by extreme expressions of anger, often to the point of uncontrollable rage, that are disproportionate to the situation at hand. Aka, you can explode anywhere, any time whatsoever and without warning over the smallest of things. For example I once got very angry and frustrated over not finding the mop to wash the house floors. I also recently had a breakdown after I was overwhelmed on my first day of Diploma of Music.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else here who suffers from this disorder. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 17 with both Aspergers and this. As soon as I found out I had IED, I went 'OH MY GOD, THAT'S WHY I HAVE SUCH A HORRID TEMPER'. I couldn't believe it. I knew I had autism but never that! So does anyone here have IED by chance? I could help you handle it and maybe you could teach me about it as well.

I think I have this. But my LIST OF DISABILITIES IS ALREADY SO LONG. But really, I've thought for maybe 11 years that I have this or it's impulsivity from my ADHD.