Am I stupid for being in a lower class?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:56 pm

As I am an evil nazi witch who happens to be exceptionally good at math I consider everyone who is bad ( bad meaning "can't even do calculus in the 10th grade!") at math to be stupid, and therefor I have concluded that the vast majority of the Earths population are idiots.

To be honest, I really don't think OPoster is that good at English either...

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

Ellendra wrote:
I excelled in math and science, but failed high school because I couldn't write an essay to save my life. Some people learn certain things faster or slower than others. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Is the an elf or a vulcan? I too couldn't write an essay to save my life. In fact, just recently in college, I dropped english 2 times. Took it a 3rd time and got an A. The difference was that the 3rd instructor let me choose my own topics.

To the OP, NO YOU ARE NOT STUPID! We all have different strengths and weaknesses; yours weakness is math while mine and Ellendra's is English. I think just the fact that you've stuck it out in school this long says a lot about your character, I personally gave up on school in 10th grade.

Cutlass_Jack
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

The funny thing is in 8th grade I had a nearly perfect score on a test to put me in an advanced math class, but I nearly failed the class. I retook the class online and earned a high B.

I was put back into an advanced math class in high school and I failed the class. Yet again I was put in an online course, and this time I got an A. I really can't stand people droning on about math.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm

Ganondox wrote:
As I am an evil nazi witch who happens to be exceptionally good at math I consider everyone who is bad ( bad meaning "can't even do calculus in the 10th grade!") at math to be stupid, and therefor I have concluded that the vast majority of the Earths population are idiots.

You're not a nazi, you're douche bag. Now stop being a douche bag, Douche Bag.

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

I was useless at maths, physics and geometry. I was basically unable to apply formulas. I knew them but could not apply them. I do remember phone numbers and card numbers easily though.
Always had terrible results at IQ tests (but managed to obtain a Master's degree easil)y. I think it is due to the fact that I am hopeless with time and space. Plus I can never find the logic in the suites...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

Math was always a struggle for me.

As I've said in another thread, I'm a "non-sequential learner" and the way math is taught in U.S. public schools is heavily biased towards auditory/sequential learners.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's possible you just haven't figured out how your brain absorbs numerical information yet. And, if you pay attention to many of the people who are "good" at math, you'll find that a lot of them are just skilled at rote memorization and following step-by-step-instructions. Trained monkeys......not thinkers.

My general litmus test for any form of "intelligence" is what you actually can DO with it. Grades are only a small fraction of the whole story.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Now that word fits a lot better. Thanks for finding a more suitable word for me, Rascal.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Now that word fits a lot better. Thanks for finding a more suitable word for me, Rascal.

Actually it wasn't my 1st choice. I was trying to be nice.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Don't. Go ahead and call me an as*hole or whatever.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Your spelling is showing improvement, Ganondox.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

Orr wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Your spelling is showing improvement, Ganondox.

What is that jest supposed to mean? I'd like you to point out every single spelling error that you have seen me make.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:36 pm

I thought you were implying that your english was not very good, and I paid you a compliment because I find your english to be quite good for a 15 year old Brazilian, and improving.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Don't. Go ahead and call me an as*hole or whatever.

That's not it either. Can you guess what it is? It begins with C and ends with T. If it's still UNclear let me know, I'll give you another hint.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

draelynn wrote:
I have always sucked at math but was considered 'gifted' in several other classes. I am also left handed thus right brained. I SHOULD be good in math but I'm not. No one is good at everything. Try to be the best at what you are good at and just try your best at the rest. No one is good at everything.

I'm left handed also, but I don't put much weight into brain-dominance, as I haven't found much evidence to the fact. Unless you get an MRI and other diagnostics its really difficult to say what's going on inside your skull. My spatial skills leading to dyspraxia, but I do understand mathematical concepts. Working with them in my head is the challenge. I've read that this is a signal to possible brain lesions, but I've no way to confirm that in myself.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 9:42 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Ditto. Ganondox, it's fine to be happy that you are good at math; taking pleasure in your own talents and accomplishments makes a good deal of sense. But please, please don't transfer that into looking down on people who don't have those talents.

Think of something you are bad at, yourself; maybe socializing, since goodness knows that's a weakness for all of us. Now imagine someone else looks down on you for not being good at it. Wouldn't it be wrong of them to do that? Wouldn't they be wrong to think you weren't good at anything else, because you were bad at that one thing?

OP: No, you're not "stupid"; you're having trouble with math. Could be any number of reasons for it--a mismatch in teaching styles, a natural weakness that makes it harder for you to learn, falling behind and having trouble catching up. That remedial class may be something you can use to help yourself learn more about math. If you're not very good at it, and you don't want a career that involves math, then you should try to learn the everyday important things that you are going to be using when you're living on your own--things like adjusting a recipe (fractions), balancing a checkbook (addition/subtraction), comparing prices (multiplication/division), and basic geometry like what you might use to calculate how much paint you need to paint your bedroom. If you find you are catching up, then you can go on to more advanced things.

Some people even find out they are good at one sort of math, and bad at another sort of math; I was bad at math until I got to algebra, which is pure logic, and much easier for me; and since then I've been good at it. Some people find they are better at visually oriented math like geometry, and some find they are better at solving practical problems instead of abstract stuff. Experiment a little, and see how you learn best. If you have a good teacher, they'll help you do it. If not, maybe a tutor? Either way, don't be afraid to work hard; it does pay off. I have a friend who is dyslexic and who works harder at reading than anybody I know; and even though she is dyslexic, she has taught herself to read college textbooks and journal articles--really difficult stuff. It takes her longer, and she probably uses more highlighters than anyone I know, but she understands it. So, yeah, hard work pays off.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Feb 2012, 9:43 pm

I'm gifted in creative writing and art/craft so I excelled in English (well, the creative writing side of it... I always had trouble with spelling) and in art class.

But I was below average in Maths and if I'd stayed at school I would have been put back a class in Maths and Science.

I know how to use a calculator, so that's good enough for me. Life's too short to be focusing on what I'm no good at. I put my energy into focusing on my strengths.

And no, OP, you are not stupid. If you have to go back a class in Maths then so be it... just do it, but remember to focus on what you're good at, too!