Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DeusMechanicus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

I am aware that there are multiple permutations regarding how to introduce oneself and these vary depending upon environment, one’s sex or gender and one’s social ‘standing’. I am not entirely certain how to distinguish between these. How does one decide who to speak to and who not to speak to and when is it appropriate to share information and when should one cease providing it?
If I speak to a doctor of medicine or a mechanic or an individual whom I do not regularly encounter and it has asked me a question, how am I to know how much information it requires unless it specifies a limit?

It seems that people refuse to speak to me unless they find that a transaction or function which involves my input is very necessary. I like speaking online because it dosen't involve non-verbal communication.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:24 pm

A lot of tough questions. I usually let others start talking first so I can get a idea of what to do.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 9:50 pm

Hi DeusMechanicus!

In my observation it's a very context-based thing, and people make up rules for how a conversation will go on a case-by-case basis as the conversation is occurring. Some neurotypical people talk at greater length and in more detail than is strictly necessary, and depending on who they're talking to this will either be welcomed by their conversational partner or considered unnecessary overkill. The opposite can be true too (terseness could be either appreciated or a source of frustration). It seems mostly a game of chance of whether two conversational partners will appreciate each others' style. I would say then that it's not possible to come up with any hard-and-fast-rules about how much to say to people. Personally then I just recommend saying what you feel needs to be said and seeing what happens. A few reactions will be horrible, most'll probably be serviceable and some'll be great in a way you could never have anticipated. Just my take!