Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:36 pm

I'm glad you're okay and that you're still alive. Take it easy and take care of yourself.

vetwithAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2011, 5:09 pm

I got hit on my bicycle back in HS once. I rode across the intersection and a car made a right turn behind me and clipped my back tire because he never looked right. The cops actually said it was my fault because I hadn't walked my bike across the intersection. Had I done that, he'd have hit me in the legs and not just my tire. Let's see, broken leg or two vs mangled back wheel and scraped leg. With those options I'd rather be the one at fault.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:08 pm

Over the last ten years or so of riding daily, I've been struck twice while on a bicycle. Both cases were when a car was pulling from a driveway onto the road without paying attention, though both times the driver got out and admitted fault. In a more recent incident, I accidentally struck two pedestrians...who were casually walking in the bike lane

I ride defensively and generally assume that the drivers do not see me (if the driver is looking in the other direction or talking on the phone, it's probably safest to wait and then wait to make eye contact before moving). I check for cars in the turn lanes before crossing the street, use lights at night and a helmet all the time

temetvince
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but it was your fault.

Bikes are not pedestrians. Vehicles have to legally stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. They do not (but should) have to stop for bikes.

In addition, unless a bike is on a "bike trail", it should technically never use a crosswalk. Sidewalks are for pedestrians - using a bike on a sidewalk (and thus crosswalk) is illegal in most states, although I've never seen this actually enforced.

These are the laws in most states. Your state may differ. It's not fair, and it sucks.

Glad you're ok.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:11 pm

temetvince wrote:
Sorry to tell you this, but it was your fault.

Bikes are not pedestrians. Vehicles have to legally stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. They do not (but should) have to stop for bikes.

In addition, unless a bike is on a "bike trail", it should technically never use a crosswalk. Sidewalks are for pedestrians - using a bike on a sidewalk (and thus crosswalk) is illegal in most states, although I've never seen this actually enforced.

These are the laws in most states. Your state may differ. It's not fair, and it sucks.

Glad you're ok.

Well, the city in which I live says that crosswalks and sidewalks are both for pedestrians and bickers.

The cops seemed to think it was possible (in the certain circumstances) that the guy who hit me could be at fault. So, I have a right to cross on a bicycle. Cops see me do it near the police station (I live in the metro GR area, not GR itself) and never say anything.

But it was my fault probably. He likely had a green arrow.

The good news is that the cops offered my a bike. I got it yesterday.