Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm

while riding a bicycle. Went flying a ways, and the bike is nearly totalled. I think it was the car driver's fault, but I have no proof. Fortunately, I'm O.K. Seems that as with many Aspies, big things roll off me like water off a duck's back, but little things bother me.... I was having an OCD obsession all day earlier that bothered me more.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:33 pm

Oh no! I am glad you are ok!
Seriously, though, that driver did a hit and run. That's illegal! You could have been hurt and that guy didn't even bother to pull over? Wow. I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the person who did that!! !!
Proof would be, like, knowing what you did, what the driver did, seeing if you can read the license plate, then calling the cops. Hit and runs are extremely illegal and completely irresponsible. Unfortunately, it looks like its too late. I'm glad you aren't hurt.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 10:42 pm

That sucks big time. Did the car stop?

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2011, 10:58 pm

You are very lucky. I saw a car hit a bike once, and the person got killed. So, it's amazing you are still alive. If he hit you, chances are, he is the one at fault. Regardless, he is at fault for the hit and run aspect any way. Too bad, you didn't get a license plate down.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm

Glad your OK. Too many cyclists get killed and 4/5 times its the vehicle drivers fault.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:06 pm

Frieslander wrote:
while riding a bicycle. Went flying a ways, and the bike is nearly totalled. I think it was the car driver's fault, but I have no proof. Fortunately, I'm O.K. Seems that as with many Aspies, big things roll off me like water off a duck's back, but little things bother me.... I was having an OCD obsession all day earlier that bothered me more.

In most instances, things like these are ruled the fault of the driver. The exception is if you rode out in front of him at a distance such that they didn't have time to stop before hitting you.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm

Drivers have to share the road! I'm so sorry that happened to you! It is traumatic and you must go to the ER and call the police immediately. Did the driver stop? Did you get the driver's information? Your body can be damaged from the collision and you might not even know it. You need to be examined and there needs to be an official record of what happened in the police records. Not only are you owed restitution for the destruction of your bike, but the driver could be liable for medical complications that you don't even know exist that could cost you a tremendous amount of trouble in future years. Don't be passive about this. Do the right thing.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:19 pm

Arman_Khodaei wrote:
You are very lucky. I saw a car hit a bike once, and the person got killed. So, it's amazing you are still alive. If he hit you, chances are, he is the one at fault. Regardless, he is at fault for the hit and run aspect any way. Too bad, you didn't get a license plate down.

My daughter's best friend was killed this way earlier this month. It continues to be a huge deal for our community.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 11:51 pm

Frieslander wrote:

I am glad your okay! Did you go to the ER? You will be in a lot of pain tomorrow! I got hit by a car 4 years ago while crossing the street. My boyfriend made me go into an ambulance and it all sucked very much. The next day I was in a LOT of pain and it took about1 to 2 weeks to wear off. Youneedto goto the er if youhadnt already

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2011, 11:56 pm

Because of my AS, and Because I cannot afford a car, I rely heavily on a bike to get around. I have, over the years, been struck by a car 2 or 3 times. It is a little scary, and the impact is quite significant. I am much more careful now, needless to say.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:08 am

I like riding bikes, but not with all those cars zooming around. This is why I refuse to ride one around here. If I had been riding one all this time, I probably would have been hit Lord knows how many times by now.
With the economy the way it is, people who ride bikes need their own sectioned off lanes so they won't be threatened by automobile traffic.
I see more bike riders everyday.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2011, 12:13 am

Glad you are ok!

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 1:52 am

Did the car stop? Did the driver talk to you? Always always get the cops involved with these things. They then become witnesses and there's a report.

You could easily find an injury you didn't know you got, and you'll have to pay for treatment yourself.

I rode 40 miles today. Mixed it up with cars at several intersections. We got bike lanes but they often disappear near intersections, especially if there are right turn lanes. Can't say I've come close to any danger, but I definitely got close to cars. A lot of it is just pure dumb luck, no matter how careful you are. :?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Feb 2011, 2:16 am

You need to go to the ER cause you may have internal bleeding and not know it. You also need to report it to the police, and if that does not work, go to the local paper and tell em what happened and make a deal about it, so the city will put in bike lanes at least

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:29 pm

Actually, a police officer was right at the corner and documented everything. I was crossing the street at a crosswalk, but did not push the button.

I was going north on the left side of the street, and the guy was taking a left turn from north to west. I guess it was my fault, since I had not pushed the button, and arrived a little late, but I thought the guy did not yet have a green, but a flashing yellow. He told the police he had a green arrow.

He may be lying, but it's his word against mine. I sometimes run (unfortuantely) on autopilot, so I don't distinctly remember what kind of light he had.

I've got a little bit of a headache.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 2:36 pm

I'm glad you're okay and that you're still alive. Take it easy and take care of yourself.