A game update made the game malware?!?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2011, 9:26 pm

I upgraded the Aeria Game Shaiya I went to play it and then AVG and Ad-Aware told me that the game had become malware, which sucks because it was the only MMO game that did not move two inches to the left side of my screen when I went to play. I just uninstalled it. Just want to know what I should do now :?:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 11:34 pm

shugo974 wrote:
I upgraded the Aeria Game Shaiya I went to play it and then AVG and Ad-Aware told me that the game had become malware, which sucks because it was the only MMO game that did not move two inches to the left side of my screen when I went to play. I just uninstalled it. Just want to know what I should do now :?:

Where did you download it from? From a safe trusted site? Or was it one of those pirate crack sites?

Darth_Aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2011, 1:37 am

Perform a full scan of your system and make sure the problem isn't coming from something else, then do a clean reinstall from a trusted souce. If the problem persists, and you know you got the game from a legitimate source (IIRC, Shaiya is free to download, so just grab it from their site directly), nicer antivirus software can be safely told to ignore it.

By the way, your problem with other MMO's sounds like it might be an issue with screen resolution. If possible, change it in your ingame options to match your desktop resolution (or vice versa). Optimally, both of these will equal your monitor's native resolution.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 3:40 am

It could also be a false positive by the way (despite it being detected as malware by both security programs).

Also, having more than one security program is unnecessary (and potentially harmful for the system). Ditch both AVG and Ad-Aware and go with something light like Avast (for real-time protection) and MalwareByte's free version for manual scanning at your own choice.

And in case you end up noticing major signs of infection, let us know so we may help you. I'm qualified to help out when it comes to analyzing logs and such.

Robster83
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2011, 7:13 am

Yeah it is a false positive. The anti virus just picks it up wrongly as malware.

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2011, 6:17 pm

@MCalavera I got Shaiya from the company's website. I refuse to go back to Avast or MalwareBytes because A)they did not do anything. B)They ate my system resources and gave me a blue screen. C)crashed my old computer (R.I.P. Windows 2000 professional you will be missed :'( ....)

@Darth_Aspie Thanks for the help with the other MMOs I have to try it out soon.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:09 pm

shugo974 wrote:
@MCalavera I got Shaiya from the company's website. I refuse to go back to Avast or MalwareBytes because A)they did not do anything. B)They ate my system resources and gave me a blue screen. C)crashed my old computer (R.I.P. Windows 2000 professional you will be missed :'( ....)

And so the fault is exactly on those two specific programs that I myself mentioned?

It's a fact that Avast is lighter than AVG and MalwareByte's Anti-Malware (free version) isn't supposed to take much system resources.

You are obviously making stuff up.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 12:59 pm

Probably a false positive. When I tried to install a game my antivirus said it was a virus even though it wasn't.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm

Yep, I have to agree with everyone. Command the program to skip over the Shaiya folder during your scan and you'll have no problems.