Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Have you Experienced Doubt when tellinging someone about your AS?
Yes, quite frequently. 58%  58%  [ 23 ]
Yes, but not very often. 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 40

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

I've had several people register scepticism when I first tell them I have an AS diagnosis. I was diagnosed in 2001, in my 20s, and have greatly improved since then but still have difficulty "reading between the lines" and "seeing the big picture". I notice that when I tell older people, particularly an older colleague on one occasion, I got a response to the effect of "well, you know, these days they're over-diagnosing everything, they say half the kids in school have ADHD, you don't really have anything wrong but you just have a tendency to take things literally..."

I really don't appreciate those flippant comments. Trying to generalize the problem away to be polite. However, it's a hell of a lot better than those morons who say "oh, kids these days and their excuses for bad social behaviour, in my day we'd just give them a good smack upside the head..." that's 10 times more ignorant.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:59 pm

My Asperger's is so mild that very few people notice it. However if I'm under a lot of stress, emotion, pressure, discomfort, etc. it's more obvious.I may or may not have been misdiagnosed, but I don't really care. I don't believe that your condition, whatever it may be, defines who you are as a person.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 8:28 pm

Since my daughter was born I've been looking into my family history and found a few relatives who were either HFA or AS.

I've also suspected that despite going through life as a nuerotypical that I should review my own status.

As a child I spoke, but was extremely shy and mumbled rather than speak till I was in my 20s. I never had any friends and prefer my own company and was extremely awkward in social settings. My parents used to send me to a psychologist in primary and lower secondary to help with they thought was a learning developmental issue. Nobody thought to ask?

I took a few online tests such as the AQ test and lo and behold at the age of 43 I am classified as autistic or at least having autistic traits.

In my mind I suspect I am a mild asperger but have no intention to get a formal diagnosis as I have no wish to carry a label. As my daughter. Is already classified as ASD I understand that labels have a habit of carrying with you for the rest of your life.