Asperger Syndrome "ridiculously" blown way out of

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2006, 2:08 pm

wow that just pisses me off. he basically says that asperger's syndrome is just being obsessed with a hobby or interest.

there is so much more to AS than that. it is a developmental disorder.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Ok now my main concern is this. I know people that could be certified with asperger syndrome ok now the thing is this. I have read in many forums about people claiming to have asperger syndrome, but i wonder, do they really have asperger or do they just want attention or want to "feel important". Cause you see asperger syndrome means like really getting obsessed with something like a hobby or whatever, "But that one thing only", or anything related to that one thing. And you know, all these asperger symdrome people can do is think about that "one thing", when they wake up, that "one thing" is the first thing they think of, when they eat or sleep or drink or drive, all they do is think about that "one thing" only, you get my point?

sinse I walked the face of the earth for 46 years before ever hearing of it and haven't changed my day to day activities after hearing about it and only mentioned it to one person I know who blew it off as nonsense,it gets me zero attention.

I sure don't spend every minute of the day thinking about it,I had interests before I ever heard about it and still have those interests.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 10:33 pm

trapped wrote:
For myself personally, I would say that the Narrow Interests perhaps cause an equal amount, if not more problems for me, simply because my interests in computers caused me to drop out of High School, and then not do well in correspondance afterwards. They also walk hand-in-hand (sometimes I launch into lengthy dialogues about my interests, and it annoys people, which is a combination of both my poor social skills and my narrow interests).

I agree that narrow interests will cause a considerable amount of problems for some, but I think that is a widely narrow definition to use. If a child is addicted to video games, for example, the school or someone may attempt to label him as aspie, saying his addiction to video games is above normal. I think lots of children have interests that can be considered above normal. The thing with aspies is the intensity and the amount of research and memory they put into it. Also, the social skills are far more noticeable to outsiders.

- Ray M -

Pi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2006, 10:43 am

Like many before me have already said, Asperger's is more than just a single symptom. And not even all Asperger's focus on that "one thing" and that "one thing" only. I've had many obsessions, some ranging from just a few days to just a few years and ranging also in how obsessed I got.

There are:

- social issues
-language issues
-obsessive interests
-problems with change; insistance on routine
-Sensory Processing Disorder
-sensory stimulation
-clumsiness/coordination
-Executive Dysfunction
-comorbid disorders
-family history

just to name a few.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 6:07 pm

Shane wrote:
Hey everyone, how is it goin with you all.
I think this whole asperger sndrome is blown way out of propotion today and so hyped up because of the internet and the medical companies and all these phycological institutes who wants to profit from making us think that we are crazy or odd or wierd when the fact is we are completely NORMAL and what we go through alot of people also go through it, rich and famous, poor and the unknown. You see PYCHOLOGICALLY and UNCONCIOUSLY IT HAS BEEN INGRAINED IN US, from all these newspapers, internets and magazines, medical companies and etc etc that something is wrong with us. Nothing is wrong with us, unless we eat our own s**t. HEHE.

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with us. I think it's society that needs to change, not us. But I sort of wish AS WAS hyped up! Maybe it's a function of where we live (I'm American), but no one I know has ever even heard of AS. I feel like for the most part, it's still little-known.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2006, 6:14 pm

pineapple wrote:
Shane wrote:
Hey everyone, how is it goin with you all.
I think this whole asperger sndrome is blown way out of propotion today and so hyped up because of the internet and the medical companies and all these phycological institutes who wants to profit from making us think that we are crazy or odd or wierd when the fact is we are completely NORMAL and what we go through alot of people also go through it, rich and famous, poor and the unknown. You see PYCHOLOGICALLY and UNCONCIOUSLY IT HAS BEEN INGRAINED IN US, from all these newspapers, internets and magazines, medical companies and etc etc that something is wrong with us. Nothing is wrong with us, unless we eat our own s**t. HEHE.

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with us. I think it's society that needs to change, not us. But I sort of wish AS WAS hyped up! Maybe it's a function of where we live (I'm American), but no one I know has ever even heard of AS. I feel like for the most part, it's still little-known.

Exactly. Shane made it sound like there was a huge media blitz about AS, and thousands of people everyday were self-diagnosing, whereas most didn't even have it. While there most likely IS some people that don't have it but think they do, I'm thinking there are far far more that DO have it but don't even know about AS, and have never heard of it. It really isn't all that well known, far less known than Autism itself. I would even call it obscure, personally.