Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2011, 6:52 pm

If the Saudis hold a “Day Of Rage” on March 11th and the fever spreads…

…It could be the end of the world as we know it.

An oil crisis like we’ve never seen.

I’m scared 8O

******************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 7:19 pm

Phuck the price of oil, freedom is priceless. I pray Saudi Arabia burns.

Khan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

It is possible it could spread, but one of the reasons the protests in Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya have been successful is because there governments are not as willing to use force like the governments of Saudi Arabia, China or North Korea are. I doubt the Royal Family will be deposed and it would NOT be in the interest of the U.S. government for that to happen so they will do everything in their power to make sure any protests in Saudi Arabia are kept to a minimum. Plus Saudi Arabia is too important of a state to be thrown into turmoil like that; no one really cares all that much about countries like Tunisia or Libya because strategically they are not all that important.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Libya, governments are not as willing to use force

Have you read anything about Libya's situation?

Khan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2011, 7:44 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
Libya, governments are not as willing to use force

Have you read anything about Libya's situation?

Yes I have but the army is beginning to turn against Gaddafi and Gaddafi is just a laughable relic of the Cold War. Not least to mention that the people are being bolstered by extremely violent Islamist groups. You can guarantee Al-Qaeda and other such groups are playing their hands in these riots.

Last edited by Khan on 28 Feb 2011, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:49 pm

That's true, but Libya's government was far more known to be willing to use force. Gaddafi even used air attacks on protestors. Asides the international blood he drew with his support for terrorism. The people of Libya have some serious cojones standing up to that wax figurine looking Gene Simmons lookalike

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:46 pm

Daryl_Blonder wrote:
If the Saudis hold a “Day Of Rage” on March 11th and the fever spreads…

…It could be the end of the world as we know it.

An oil crisis like we’ve never seen.

I’m scared 8O

******************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

Get a grip on yourself. This could be a gift from Heaven. Finally the motivation to break the Filthy Oil Habit.

It is an ill wind that does not blow somebody some good.

ruveyn

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Feb 2011, 9:11 pm

I'm excited. The sooner the better.

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2011, 10:37 pm

I so called this. *happy dance*

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 1:27 pm

As far as I'm concerned this is old news, Glenn Beck already covered this.

For me it depends on who is running the protests and what the goals of the protest is.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

Of course they'll protest. I just hope it's peaceful.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

Let's posit a worst case scenario: popular protests break out in Riyadh and the petroleum industry is crippled in the midst of civil war.

Well, there is limited capacity to make up for the Saudi's production, but the reserves do exist. Prices will rise steeply, and we will face economic conditions not unlike the mid-70's.

But Saudi will eventually settle down and those reserves will continue to be exploited. Meanwhile all the new infrastructure hastily put in place to cope during the Saudi upheaval will continue to be available.

On the whole, I think we are in for a major aftershock recession, followed by a brisk uptick recovery about 2 to 3 years down the line. Not fun, but certainly no disaster.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

We'd actually be in real trouble unless we can get our domestic oil production up. Oil is not just used for fuel, it is used for plastics too.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 3:26 pm

Not to mention fertilizers, and a host of other uses.

Saudi Arabia is no longer the world's largest oil producer (Russia has that title). Saudi Arabia is no longer the largest petroleum supplier to the United States (Canada has that title with Mexico close behind). In addition, Saudi has almost no excess capacity, so it has lost the ability to increase supply. It is basically producing at or near its peak capacity, which is about 12% of global output. So the question might be, can the other 112 petroleum producing nations pick up 12% more capacity?

Among large producers, that's not an idle question. Russian oil reserves are remote, and significant infrastructure would be required--but high prices would provide a means for investment. United States reserves are problematic, in view of the Deepwater Horizon and the sensitivity of arctic exploration--but there's nothing like an energy crisis to refocus political attention. Canadian petroleum faces extraction issues, and environmental concerns--but is ideally placed to answer non-fuel needs.

So, yes, Saudi is important. But the loss of Saudi production is not a world ender.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Saudi has almost no excess capacity, so it has lost the ability to increase supply. It is basically producing at or near its peak capacity, which is about 12% of global output.

So they can't, in fact, make up for Lybia's production as they claimed?

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

Possible scenario:

Huge protests on the 11th leading to major civil unrest.

Oil surges to $150 or $200 a barrel causing the stock markets to tank and the end of the world as we know it.