Not respecting authority - Aspie trait?

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:22 am

jdenault wrote:
I'm a NT and agree that people need to earn respect. I tend to approach people in authority with the assumption they they are worthy of respect until they blow my expectations. Then depending on what I wanted from them I stifle my frustration and do my best to look pleasant. One of my sons has Aspergers. He was 48 before he was identified as having Aspergers. He started out trusting people with a happy child's naivete and the assumption everyone, including those in authority, would treat him with equal respect, but learned the moment he opened his mouth and disagreed with the person's point of view that few did. Now, even though he theoretically understands how to deal with authority figures, his Aspergers dictates his scathing contempt for stupid authority figures. And he literally cannot control his reaction even when some part of him knows he's doing himself harm. Even on the rare occasions when he manages to keep his mouth shut, his face registers such contempt for the authority figure's power that they cause him a lot of harm. Do people who are diagnosed when they are very young ever learn to squelch their anger however righteous it is?

if i read this correctly then i would have to ask; if his anger is righteous should he hide it?
i understand that authority figures usually cant handle critique, it gets even worse when they somehow feel its a personal attack, even if justified.
but sometimes i feel the mentality involved is the single biggest hurdle we as mankind need to cross to move forward, if change is needed then we have to make sure it happens, nothing happens if people dont speak up

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2011, 9:37 am

"Respect" is a loaded and highly subjective word. I thought my mind worked in heirchy because it provided structure and a method by which to understand order. Recently though I've been proven wrong about my own perceptions.
I understand that someone may have more knowledge or experience than I do in a certain circumstance, so I will to an extent trust their assessment of something, though not without questioning and challenging (I've been told I do this a lot, instead of just following orders) but I really do not understand the concept of respect as connected to inherent worth - as another person being "better" than me. Which it seems to entail. I'll talk to people in authority the same as I would talk to anyone else, regardless of who they are. I'm always polite and helpful, but you could be a homeless derelict or a presiding magistrate, and I would naturally treat you with equal respect. You're a human and so am I. It's not my place to judge anyone as better or lesser than anyone else. This may make me seem ... well, disrespectful, but as above noted, respect in a social sense is a social convention and I'll bypass that. I never understood this automatic respect of parents, either. I often got myself into trouble as a child for it. In my circumstance, my parents were both alcoholics and low-income people, so they were literally paid by the government to keep me until I was 16. It wasn't a favour on their behalf. I attended a public school if I went to school at all. I was no trouble to them, and quite frankly, it was their decision to have children, not mine. I didn't understand why I should be grateful (which is to an extent controlled by guilt) for something I had no say in. It's illegal to neglect your children - I doubt I should automatically respect them for obeying the law.
Then again, I'll "respect" a king brown snake because I know if that thing bites me, I'm history. I "respect" the forces of the natural world because I know my life depends on those forces. But that's another meaning entirely I suppose.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

If by squelch you mean shove it in the dark hole in your mind along with every insult and punch, where it ends up rotting away the innocent optimistic light parts of you until all that's left is a hollow, cynical, and bitter void covered up with a smiling mask that's as fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs... yeah, I learned that eventually. :D

That would be my protecting yourself from the power part from earlier. It's gotten easier for me to hide my reaction, now I usually just show slight surprise and then my face goes to the default Aspie neutral for a little bit before I can will myself to put the mask up again. I've also learned the valuable lessons of "I can see where you're coming from, but perhaps another thing to consider is.." respectful disagreement approach and it's usually subsequent "Alright, if you think that's best lets give it a go" just letting it go tactic. I care less about things that won't directly negatively affect me, so if people want to make what I think are incredibly foolish and costly mistakes then eh, sure, buy Lotus Notes and force us all to use that monstrosity - it's stupid but they need to arrive at that decision on their own. So long as they're not doing those massive mistakes with my health, safety or money, I've learned to care less. Touch those three though and I'm damn well having the last word on that discussion!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:04 am

Oodain wrote:
jdenault wrote:
I'm a NT and agree that people need to earn respect. I tend to approach people in authority with the assumption they they are worthy of respect until they blow my expectations. Then depending on what I wanted from them I stifle my frustration and do my best to look pleasant. One of my sons has Aspergers. He was 48 before he was identified as having Aspergers. He started out trusting people with a happy child's naivete and the assumption everyone, including those in authority, would treat him with equal respect, but learned the moment he opened his mouth and disagreed with the person's point of view that few did. Now, even though he theoretically understands how to deal with authority figures, his Aspergers dictates his scathing contempt for stupid authority figures. And he literally cannot control his reaction even when some part of him knows he's doing himself harm. Even on the rare occasions when he manages to keep his mouth shut, his face registers such contempt for the authority figure's power that they cause him a lot of harm. Do people who are diagnosed when they are very young ever learn to squelch their anger however righteous it is?

if i read this correctly then i would have to ask; if his anger is righteous should he hide it?
i understand that authority figures usually cant handle critique, it gets even worse when they somehow feel its a personal attack, even if justified.
but sometimes i feel the mentality involved is the single biggest hurdle we as mankind need to cross to move forward, if change is needed then we have to make sure it happens, nothing happens if people dont speak up

In the coming age of Aqaurius.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2011, 10:05 am

I agree with all three of you. (I would select specific quotes if I could figure out how to do that) but what if he ends up doing himself considerable harm when he's unable to assume a blank face that allows him to register that he doesn't buy what the authority figure is trying to force him to do but doesn't care. I'm talking about self preservation, not just a disagreement on semantics.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:07 am

jdenault wrote:

I think I can sit on my contempt if I know it will be very deleterious to give it free expression. I do have to try quite hard to keep it from showing. I was not diagnosed when young, but I don't think that's terribly relevant.

Controlling impulses can be difficult with asperger's and any executive function impairment.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

How did you learn the difference between not showing respect to people who can harm you as opposed to those where you are just rejecting someone's wrong opinion?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:21 am

jdenault wrote:
I agree with all three of you. (I would select specific quotes if I could figure out how to do that) but what if he ends up doing himself considerable harm when he's unable to assume a blank face that allows him to register that he doesn't buy what the authority figure is trying to force him to do but doesn't care. I'm talking about self preservation, not just a disagreement on semantics.

its true that it isnt smart in the current western world to show these feelings, in the most practical sense i constantly have to pick my battles but some battles turn into a war for me.
at one time i seriously angered a police officer, i had just come home from 4 months working in greece, apearantly i had missed my draft(forwarded my mail, never got it down there).
next morning i woke up to someone knocking on the door, very weird since there was literally only 4 people that specifically knew i had returned to the country, or so i thought, anyway when i opened it was an officer who was there to pick me up and drive me to the draft office, i critisized the draft system fro our whole 45 minute drive, the officer was an okay sport and very nice on a personal level, but he just refused to listen to any critique of the sytem.
thing is our whole draft system only has to find around 200-500 people a year, literaly. the rest of the spots are filled with volunteer, its an expensive system and it is costing everyone a lot of money.
however if no one cares or knows about these "battles" nothing can be done about them.

**edit** so rambly

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

You're lucky. My son would have ended up in jail because he would have insulted the officer and that is a jail-able offense.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:29 am

im so happy the law over here states that its only "insulting an officer" if that is the intention of it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

jdenault wrote:
How did you learn the difference between not showing respect to people who can harm you as opposed to those where you are just rejecting someone's wrong opinion?

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I used to have a basic attitude of disrespect first, then let the other person perhaps win me over/prove themselves worthy of my respect. Obviously (but not to me then), this was a pretty problematic attitude.

Adopting a more easy going basic nature accounts for a lot of problems. If someone is (fill in unpleasant or distasteful behaviour here) then I'm basically a lot more accepting. I recognise the pointless suffering that arises when I get gripped by something that there's no benefit in pursuing. Letting go is much easier with awareness.

I don't really know of any quick or simple way to inculcate this in anyone, my own shift came about as part of my years on the Buddhist 'eightfold' path.

I think a lot of the problem might be in perceived threats, obsession and/or compulsion, and an over active amygdala. Meditation works a treat, but it's a long and slow transformation.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

So much has been said in this thread that I agree with.

Personally my understanding of respect, which hasn't really changed since I was a child, has indeed caused me a lot of trouble. Mostly I deal with it by keeping my head down and following orders regardless of how stupid I find them to be, provided there's adequate insentive (f.ex. monetary compensation).
Every person I meet recieves the same amount of respect from me, I treat them kindly and act friendly towards them and would not consider doing anything harmfull to them. I don't know how to be more respectfull than that, in fact I consider letting them make mistakes and not sharing my thoughts with them to be signs of disrespect as opposed to signs of respect as it's generally considered. I also have an aversion to showing respect towards people who not show me respect, it can be lost and then has to be earned again.

I also never understood why it's alright for adults to talk down to children, but not the other way around. Especially when I was younger I'd get into arguments about it, I acknowledge that they have more knowledge about certain things, but it seemed to be an incredible insult to question anything they said and heaven forbid that I'd correct them.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:18 am

My troubles with authority are more nuanced.

if I am at work, my boss is in an authority position. It is an artifact of the work environment and as such I simply accept that. Where I run into trouble is I grant that authority only in issues relevant to work. I do not accept his authority in any other venue. But, socially, this is not how it works. A bosses opinion on all matters is automatically assigned a greater value, simply by virtue of his position. It does not matter the veracity of that opinion, only that it comes from him. This is a fact of life. A business owner's opinion is more valued than those whom he employs.

This causes me a lot of grief because my demeanor does not readily hide my reactions to things that fall outside the automatic respect and authority I grant by virtue of the employer/employee relationship. While I willingly accept my employers authority, and even have a great respect for his abilities and insight relative to the work environment, I can't transfer that into other sphere's of social interaction. It just doesn't happen. And I suspect this is misinterpreted as arrogance and disrespect even when all it is is my highly structured and probably overly rigid mind categorizing things in atypical ways.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2011, 11:19 am

I don't really know of any quick or simple way to inculcate this in anyone, my own shift came about as part of my years on the Buddhist 'eightfold' path.

I think a lot of the problem might be in perceived threats, obsession and/or compulsion, and an over active amygdala. Meditation works a treat, but it's a long and slow transformation.[/quote]

You are fortunate to have found--and followed such a wise way to overcome something could harm you but that now works in your favor.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:41 am

Moog wrote:
jdenault wrote:

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I used to have a basic attitude of disrespect first, then let the other person perhaps win me over/prove themselves worthy of my respect. Obviously (but not to me then), this was a pretty problematic attitude.

Adopting a more easy going basic nature accounts for a lot of problems. If someone is (fill in unpleasant or distasteful behaviour here) then I'm basically a lot more accepting. I recognise the pointless suffering that arises when I get gripped by something that there's no benefit in pursuing. Letting go is much easier with awareness.

I think a lot of the problem might be in perceived threats, obsession and/or compulsion, and an over active amygdala. Meditation works a treat, but it's a long and slow transformation.

so true.... yet so hard at times.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2011, 11:46 am

I don't have a 'natural' instant respect for someone because of their 'position.' I never have. I minded my parents because of consequences but not out of respect of their position. As a rule I don't think I should lay down respect for a doctor, a cop, a teacher if they are talking nonsense. I don't care who they are they have to show me they are saying something logical. I don't care about 'key' people's input or if it comes from xxxxx I can take it to the bank. This has got me into huge trouble, often, because I don't bow to 'figures'. I don't even know why some people operate like they are magical because they did this or that, lots of it is luck and timing....and opportunity. There are some people that I definitely would love to pick their brain but not much more than I run across in my everyday life...even just cruising around this forum. It isn't acceptable to pm someone here and say 'omg you are wildly brilliant...and interesting...and I'd love to get to know you'. I'd get labeled a freak or a stalker....not worth it...egos become the biggest part of the human psyche. The world is either paranoid or puffed up with themselves that 'they achieved' so they are either too busy or too important to bother unless it will further them in their importance. It is sad how we celebrate the brightest stars no matter how they figured it out. No one is ever humble enough to admit they didn't do it alone. Fame is ridiculous, not sure why anyone is even interested in it.

:? :?