Page 1 of 53 [ 847 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:05 pm

So, what do you other guys do to feel manly? How do you handle your masculinity, etc? Let's get the conversation going.

Last edited by MidlifeAspie on 27 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:15 pm

Shooting rifles is rather fun. I can strike a target at 100 yards with a 4" grouping when using a Remington M700 .223 caliber rifle. I've been able to hit a target at two hundred yards also, but with approximately an 8 to 10 inch grouping using the same rifle and caliber. With a .22 I was able to repeatedly hit a small water bottle at 100 yards. Anyone else into firearms and marksmanship?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:26 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
So, what do you other guys do to feel manly? How do you handle your masculinity, etc? Let's get the conversation going.

I grow beards. That's about it. Sometimes several at once. Apart from that, I'm not a manly man. I do a martial art, but it's not very macho. I like astrology. I would probably knit if I had some needles.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

Limited to just one thread isn't going to be effective, but anyway ...

iamnotaparakeet, interesting topic for a thread. I'm personally not into guns and stuff, but I did try a shotgun or two back in my homecountry. It can be quite painful shooting with one as it jerks you back quite a bit if you're not used to it.

Another topic that would be good to discuss is how can we, as men, adapt to today's world with its dominantly feministic culture and ideas (in which men are expected to act more feminine in order to make women satisfied and women have it easier than men when it comes to seeking media support and such). It obviously wouldn't be wise to fight feminism but we can find ways to adapt to it without sacrificing what we deserve to have as men.

Another interesting random topic would be whether or not it's ok for a man to play video games.

So many topics that can be discussed.

Men, feel free to reply to one or more of the topics suggested here.

Moog, you don't need to be manly manly. I'm not 100% manly myself. So it's all good.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

There's lots of men issues, like male anatomy issues, masturbation. Stag parties. A guys night out. Underwear, clothing in general.

Or some topics like there are in the women's discussion.

Would you? men only
ways to make myself more sexually appealing
any men want to be my online friend?
good science fiction books :?
parenting problems
the expenses of a man, it doesn't cost as much as being a woman, cause we aren't so addicted to shopping
how do you wear your hair?
obsessed with not offending anyone :?
bra vs braless :wink:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:02 pm

MCalavera wrote:
iamnotaparakeet, interesting topic for a thread. I'm personally not into guns and stuff, but I did try a shotgun or two back in my homecountry. It can be quite painful shooting with one as it jerks you back quite a bit if you're not used to it.

I've fired a shotgun once before also. I think it was a 16 gauge, so the recoil wasn't so terrible. Following instructions precisely, I actually managed to hit a clay disc the first time I shot that. I don't believe that I've fired an heavier gauge shotgun though.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:04 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Another interesting random topic would be whether or not it's ok for a man to play video games.

YES IT IS!! !! :twisted:

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

Moog wrote:
I grow beards. That's about it. Sometimes several at once. Apart from that, I'm not a manly man. I do a martial art, but it's not very macho. I like astrology. I would probably knit if I had some needles.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Moog

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

Lift weights and think in mathematics.

Otherwise i'm not that manly.

Oddly i've realised I have a "feminine" side - in the husbandly sense- I'm good at listening to women talk about their feelings.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm

I occasionally growl or roar... although I suppose that's more of a bear thing :?

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:02 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Shooting rifles is rather fun. I can strike a target at 100 yards with a 4" grouping when using a Remington M700 .223 caliber rifle. I've been able to hit a target at two hundred yards also, but with approximately an 8 to 10 inch grouping using the same rifle and caliber. With a .22 I was able to repeatedly hit a small water bottle at 100 yards. Anyone else into firearms and marksmanship?

Yep.
Plinking ( or target) shooting is fun. I live in an unincorporated area and I've shot a 357 mag in the back yard. Our neighbors shoot squirrels with a 22 because they trash their bird feeders, but generally I kept a low profile with this because I'd bet it'd draw complaints .....(Its concussion vibrates your shirt, as an example.)

What I have fun with is plinking with 2 pellet rifles and one is a 22 cal. high tech gun. This one groups a few inches @ 60 yards and will punch through a 2x4 at this range, as an example. Its max range is 100 yards. The other is a 25 caliber and is deadly on varmits.

For the record the biggest rifle I personally shot is a 30-06, and I've hunted and shot skeet with a variety of shotguns.

Web picture of my 22 pellet rifle. I don't have the laser sight under the scope ( as in picture).

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:16 am

s**t, that's something that I would like to have. Would help me with shooting down some hogs.

Lace-Bane, I growl like a bear and roar like a lion as a way to attract girls, but little do I realize that I'm no longer in the caveman days. :lol:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
Lift weights and think in mathematics.

Otherwise i'm not that manly.

Oddly i've realised I have a "feminine" side - in the husbandly sense- I'm good at listening to women talk about their feelings.

We all have feminine traits in us. Doesn't make us less masculine.

Lifting weights and doing logical exercises is a very manly thing, by the way.

CoalBogey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:45 am

I shave with a double edge razor and shaving brush.
I lift weights and jump rope.
I have free Toolstation catalogues posted to me (not to feel manly, that would be absurd).
I drink black coffee.
I pee off the front porch in the morning (not really but I'd like to try it some day. The neighbours will love it).

:shrug:

Last edited by CoalBogey on 03 Mar 2011, 5:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:46 am

Moog wrote:

What martial art do yo u do Moog? I was thinking of doing Jiu-Jitsu again but can't find a local place so need to find another!

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 7:07 am

How do you make new guy friends?

I'm circle of friends has been decreasing for years and the only avenue I've had to find more is either through work or my sister. I need new people to hang out with, maybe even some single guys so we can help each other out in that area (all my current male friends are far too good in this area for me to be comfortable opening up about my problems). Did anyone here meet any friends in places other than these that would be good to try?