Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 5:58 am

Julianne Moore has been chosen to play Sarah Palin in a movie version of the book Game Change. I hope Moore makes that she-cretin look as dumb and fascistic as she really is.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:49 pm

That would play right into her hand. The one really smart thing Palin has done is to virtually inoculate herself from criticism from the main stream press and other bodies traditionally though of as liberal. A big Hollywood movie taking shots at her would virtually be a campaign ad for her among her base, it would "prove" that the "liberal establishment" is out to destroy her because she's such a threat to them, and her people eat that sort of thing up. Like the WBC, the best response to Sarah Palin is to ignore her (like a troll).

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 9:33 pm

So if it helps her to be nominated for the Republicans then that's a victory for the Republicans' opponents.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Julianne Moore has been chosen to play Sarah Palin in a movie version of the book Game Change. I hope Moore makes that she-cretin look as dumb and fascistic as she really is.

I hope so too
If she is portrayed inaccurately in an extremely positive way...
People often take fiction as reality

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm

What is this movie about exactly? I've never heard of it.

And by the way, did you come up with the idea of calling her a "she-cretin," Kraichgauer. I love that as a description of her! Although, admittedly, I don't so much loathe her as a person as much as I loathe the Tea Party movement and what she stands for.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 11:42 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
What is this movie about exactly? I've never heard of it.

And by the way, did you come up with the idea of calling her a "she-cretin," Kraichgauer. I love that as a description of her! Although, admittedly, I don't so much loathe her as a person as much as I loathe the Tea Party movement and what she stands for.

Yes, I did come up with "she-cretin," though I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else did, too. Plus, I agree with you on the tea baggers. :D :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

The movie shows her open-hearted with her son who's just joined the military. And with the issues she knows about and is into, it shows her as a real person.

===============

And a question for us as citizens: Is it really this easy to fake policy knowledge in a debate?

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

I watched it. It was horrifying in a familiar way.

What really sunk Palin and sinks her for all time as POTUS is that members of her own staff, including Schmitt, thought she was unqualified and a little crazy. That's not made up, that's come out in interviews since 2008.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

Ms. Moore got Palin's look to a "T". Remarkable. She sounded very much like Palin's public utterances. In all fairness to Palin, she should not be called stupid. She is a person of limited knowledge (as we all are to some degree). The McCaine team did a poor job of vetting her and hey bear the full responsibility for any damage Palin did to their compaign.

McCain did not have a chance. (1) He is caucasian (2) He is an old guy (3) the independent voters were very p*ssed off the Republicans (for which I cannot blame them a bit). So Palin or no Palin, McCaine would have lost.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

ruveyn wrote:
Ms. Moore got Palin's look to a "T". Remarkable. She sounded very much like Palin's public utterances. In all fairness to Palin, she should not be called stupid. She is a person of limited knowledge (as we all are to some degree). The McCaine team did a poor job of vetting her and hey bear the full responsibility for any damage Palin did to their compaign.

McCain did not have a chance. (1) He is caucasian (2) He is an old guy (3) the independent voters were very p*ssed off the Republicans (for which I cannot blame them a bit). So Palin or no Palin, McCaine would have lost.

ruveyn

He lost because he's a Caucasian? That long line of presidents prior to Barack Obama looks pretty pale to me.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

I kind of wish this movie included Obama / Biden.

I'd just be really curious who would play them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:

I understand most of the book actually is about team Obama. But the film's makers chose to focus on crazy and McCain.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:

I understand most of the book actually is about team Obama. But the film's makers chose to focus on crazy and McCain.

Thats exactly right. Back in '09 I heard the author speak at a local bookstore and shook his hand. He hardly even mentioned Palin at all in his talk. It was all about the dramatic rise of Obama ( hense the title), and as I recall - Palin was hardly even mentioned by him that night.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

She did not have a realistic view of the world. To her, the prayer warriors, staying positive, maybe staying 'upright,' and similar things, were the important things.

================

from Paul Graham's essay "Why Nerds are Unpopular" (flawed, but insightful, agree with certain parts, disagree with others)
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html
" . . . The popular kids learned to be popular, and to want to be popular, the same way the nerds learned to be smart, and to want to be smart: from their parents. While the nerds were being trained to get the right answers, the popular kids were being trained to please. . . "

So, in a sense, maybe Sarah Palin has a neurotypical minds steroids? And she does seem to be a serious evangelical, much more so than President George W. Bush.

====================

And not to deprecate broad-brush, non-detail people. President Ronald Reagan (who was probably one of us, Yes, Aspie. :D ) was never too keen on details, but when there was a chance for real peace with the Soviet Union, he took it.

Step by medium step, a series of medium risks, President Reagan pursued peace. He liked the saying "Trust, but Verify," which he also knew how to say in Russian. At one joint meeting, Gorbachev said, 'He always says that.' It was pretty humorous, as if they had gotten pretty good at playing off each other.

For the possibility that Reagan may have been on the spectrum, see the book The Reagans: Portrait of a Marriage by Anne Edwards. It definitely got me thinking, even though Anne never raises this possibility. She probably doesn't know about the spectrum.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 14 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:12 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
The movie shows her open-hearted with her son who's just joined the military. And with the issues she knows about and is into, it shows her as a real person.

===============

And a question for us as citizens: Is it really this easy to fake policy knowledge in a debate?

It's quite easy to fake knowledge in any topic in a debate where you are able to adequately prepare. What I like to look for is which candidate appears to be thinking about his or her response as opposed to spewing party rhetoric.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

TM wrote:
. . . What I like to look for is which candidate appears to be thinking about his or her response as opposed to spewing party rhetoric.

That's the kind of thing we need to get good at as citizens. That and at least three other skills. I mean, we can't just depend on a single skill. More like we need a repertoire of skills.