Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

CurbRider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2006, 3:15 am

I'm having problems remembering people's names.

I can't remember half the names of people at my job. I had to spend a good 5 minutes trying to remember one of my manager's name. And most of the time now I have to look at the name-badges on the cashiers names before I talk to them, cuz I can't remember their names. Same with half of the other baggers.

And besides work, there are a lot of people who's names I randomly forget when I try to bring their names up in a conversation or try to talk to.

All of this has been going on for a few months now, and I can't figure out what's wrong with me.

Do you think this is a serious thing that needs to be checked out?

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2006, 3:26 am

I forget names and faces. So my problem is smaller, I don't even know I forgot someones name because I don't recognize them in the first place :mrgreen:

I've read somewhere that it should work to connect a name with a person's feature like, saying in yourself: this is Bob, Bob has a face like someone has pulled his nose. Then, when you see this man again, you think: Hey, this is the guy whose nose was pulled, Bob!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Jul 2006, 3:58 am

one is a bun
two is a shoe
three is a tree
four is a door
five is a beehive
six is a stick
seven is hevean
eight is a gate
nine is wine
ten is a pen

person 1 mary redhead girl : visualze mary on a hotdog bun
person 2 bob bald head boss: visualize bob with a shoe on his bald head.
person 3 tim the guy that you talk to at the water cooler: tim is in a tree drinking water
person 4 hot girl Joanne in the lobby desk: Joanne face printed on a door.
person 5 copy repairman joe: joe sticks his hand in a beehive
person 6 rick the jacka$$: stick stuck in rick's no-sun shine spot
person 7 Kevin the gay guy with a crush on you: you and kevin in heaven
person 8 Lenny in security: leeny setting on top a gate
person 9 Herman the accountant: Herman swimming in a wine glass
person 10 Jeff the janitor: Jeff seting on a pile of ink pens.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 4:09 am

It's not really a big deal. Many people have trouble remembering names.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 7:54 am

I don't have very many memory problems at all. I have an excellent memory.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2006, 8:14 am

I have problems remembering names, and remembering faces. I also tend to recognise a person by what they're wearing until know them well (which screws me up if thery turn up in something different!) Evewn if the names fall into place, name-to-face placing is incerdibly hard for me.

Julie

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jul 2006, 11:18 am

I don't easily remember people, but it has never been a big deal for me. I used to live in a very small town where everyone knew everyone. Except me, I knew only a few people I saw on a regular basis. Even after I moved out, people would come up to me and say "Oh, hi!" I was like "Hi! Yeah, I'm fine" etc, having no idea who I was talking to.
The only time I was really baffled was when I saw someone who looked just like my sister. I wasn't sure if it was her so I kept staring. She gave me a weird look, so I figured it wasn't her. Same happened this week. I decided to say hi, so good thing it really was her this time :wink: She wears makeup and does her hair so she doesn't always look the same.

But if this is a new thing for you, I don't know... Maybe you're "just" stressed out?

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2006, 11:25 pm

I am terrible with names and faces. Sometimes I can remember a name but not what they look like. I can meet the same person several times and not know it...not always, but quite often. Especially if I dont really care who they are.

CurbRider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2006, 12:50 am

well, i'm talking about people I worked with and interacted with for a year.

starling wrote:
saying in yourself: this is Bob, Bob has a face like someone has pulled his nose. Then, when you see this man again, you think: Hey, this is the guy whose nose was pulled, Bob!

hahahaha that's freaky. Bob is the name of the manager whom I was referring to! What a coincidence.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 10:26 am

Yeah I have that problem too. I have a terriable time in remembering things. If its not part of my normal things that I do I'll forget them. If you ask me what I did on a certain day and what time I couldn't remember it. Tell you the truth I can tell you what I did two days from now.