Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2011, 2:54 pm

Cornflake wrote:
TTRSage wrote:
She didn't say anything at all to me about it, but instead started complaining to the person on the other end of the phone saying something like, "hey I don't know what's going on here but people are walking right around me like I'm not even here".
That's just surreal.
A pet hate of mine is those damned Uhura clones, wandering around with their Bluetooth earpieces. They always seem to look right at me when they're talking on them, and I'm like "WTF? Who are you, and why are you talking to me?". :x

I've got a name for those things too. I call them "Borg Implants" because they are only one step away from being exactly that. I first encountered them at Radio Shack (the place where they don't know diddlysquat about electronics... and I just love to snow them with elementary electronics knowledge that I could rattle off in my sleep). The salesman would go walking around with one of those things attached to his ear and it drove me nuts to think that he was talking to someone else while taking my money. He was probably trying to show it off to make vain people want to buy one, but it sure didn't leave a good impression with me.

On the other hand though, Seven of Nine is my hero... can you think of a better role model for Aspie behavior?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 4:19 pm

When I turned 18, I don't know if cellphones were a reasonable size, they had spotty coverage, and they were FAR from cheap!

When I was a little kid, radioshack had ONLY electronic supplies/parts, some kits, and some toys. Electronic supplies/parts does NOT mean radios, cameras, phones! It means resistors, capacitors, solder!

BTW MANY can't cook or drive, though they DO have a dirvers license. And you CAN'T "know how to use a cell phone"! EACH phone is a little different. SURE, there is a method to hangup, and a method to call. But FORGET about "knowing". Want an example? OK

My blackberry turns on by holding a button on the top left down for a time. My android, phone, one of maybe hundreds, turns on by touching a button on the upper sright side. My blackberry unlocks by hitting three buttons. My android unlocks by tracing up the middle of the touch screen, though I have seen androids where you have to trace down, or to the side.

And saving info is very different, and what they can save is different, etc...

You probably know the basics of sex. As for getting a woman? AH, there is the rub. It is certainly harder than simply getting a friend. But if you think that is EXPECTED when you become an adult, let alone demanded, it isn't.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Mar 2011, 4:27 pm

I don't get what other people who don't know how to cook and drive have to do with the OP or other participants in the thread. How are they relevant? Is this supposed to reassure the OP that these things are not a sign of maturity, or that these are more common than they appear?

I'd suggest that while a lot of people may not have cell phones, or know how to cook, or know how to drive, or do any of the other things typically expected of adults, that more of these gaps seem more likely in people with ASDs, and that they have different reasons for being there in the first place. And having these gaps has nothing to do with other people who may have some, or just a few, or maybe one of those gaps.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

I not ready to be 25 (As of March 29th). My enjoyment of that day will be me getting my 3DS NOT turning 25!! !! I still live at home. I also don't drive. I go everywhere with family mostly. I HATE taking the bus!! !! I know where you are coming from.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I don't get what other people who don't know how to cook and drive have to do with the OP or other participants in the thread. How are they relevant? Is this supposed to reassure the OP that these things are not a sign of maturity, or that these are more common than they appear?
Thread-spread, I guess - where conversations fan out around the topic.
But at least he can now see that we're all coping in various entertaining ways with getting older, and I hope it's at least taken some of the worry out of 'becoming an adult'.

(BTW: Uhura was/is great - it's the wannabe clones causing me problems. Gaaah, the clones. May their headset batteries go flat immediately. 8O )

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Mar 2011, 5:04 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Thread-spread, I guess - where conversations fan out around the topic.
But at least he can now see that we're all coping in various entertaining ways with getting older, and I hope it's at least taken some of the worry out of 'becoming an adult'.

(BTW: Uhura was/is great - it's the wannabe clones causing me problems. Gaaah, the clones. May their headset batteries go flat immediately. 8O )

I like both incarnations of Uhura. I actually met Nichelle Nichols.

And yeah, hopefully the thread took the edge off. :)