Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 12:42 pm

It's amazing the things I find while looking for something else. The Library's a great place to work.

Looking for a book on pregnancy for a patron, I came across The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Completely Revised and Updated: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration by Patricia Romanowski Bashe, Barbara L. Kirby, Simon Baron-Cohen, and Tony Attwood, (Crown; Rev&Updtd edition March 29, 2005), and subsequently this website http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/.

From the jacket:
"A godsend to the increasing number of families who have a child recently diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (AS)."
"Well beyond merely identifying and defining AS, the authors provide dozens of field-tested strategies that can be used at home, in the classroom, and in the community..."
"The OASIS Web site has been a light of hope for individuals with Aspergers Syndrome, their families, and asvocates."

I've cracked that first 50 pages or so and it looks really good. Check it out.

- Emerson

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 2:45 pm

Yep both my librarys have good books and my support group can get me other good books.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

23 Jul 2006, 3:24 pm

My school library has it, actually. I check it out every so often--I reread ANYTHING that I like--and the last time I did my librarian said she was going to go read it herself when I gave it back. (She doesn't know that I have AS, as far as I know. I wonder...)

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 5:56 pm

Not surprised that you found it near books on pregnancy. In the Dewey Decimal system, books about health are give the number 616. Books about AS/Autims fall under 2 numbers - 616.8588 and 616.8982

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 6:29 pm

i saw this book in my library at school or in the book store (i forget which)

I didn't look through it because Autism books usually upset me and lower my opinion of myself... but if this didn't upset you than i'll try to find it again to read it.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 6:46 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
Books about AS/Autims fall under 2 numbers - 616.8588 and 616.8982
Not to put too fine a point on it :wink:
618.928982 if the people in Collection Management (not to be confused with collections, euphemistically referred to as "the happy squad") did their jobs correctly
and if I read this correctly the LC number is
RC553
A88
B375
I don't know where Librarians get all these numbers, some big thick book I'm sure

- Emerson

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 9:28 pm

I actually have the book, and it's the best one that I have. It's one of the books that can be helpful to both adults and children, though I've found some info in the children ones that can be of some help too, believe it or not, and I'm 32.

I sort of like thicker books, because I like to read lots and lots of information. I hate books that are like small and not much more than pamphlets. The OASIS is by far the best one I've come across. It has so much information, so much more than any other book I've come across. I hate the books where they have worksheets in the back, which seems to be a new craze within the autism spectrum. I see like more of those at my local bookstore than any other.

- Ray M -