George Soros and Media Matters have gone unhinged

Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Essentially the opposite phenomenon of "damning with faint praise." We need an idiom to express this notion. Any ideas?

Perhaps the "Federline Effect"? I can't think of anyone else that's quite so universally mocked off the top of my head.

Does the criticism of him help him in any way? If not, the concept doesn't really apply.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 7:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Essentially the opposite phenomenon of "damning with faint praise." We need an idiom to express this notion. Any ideas?

Perhaps the "Federline Effect"? I can't think of anyone else that's quite so universally mocked off the top of my head.

Does the criticism of him help him in any way? If not, the concept doesn't really apply.

I think I may have been confused, I thought you were referring to the concept of a "negative endorsement" being positive in an ideological context when the critic is someone whom you want to be opposed to. Were you actually meaning the way my post contends that Media Matters is being helpful to Fox and thus makes it seem foolish?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 7:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I think I may have been confused, I thought you were referring to the concept of a "negative endorsement" being positive in an ideological context when the critic is someone whom you want to be opposed to.

That is correct; I was referring to a denunciation or "negative endorsement" from "the enemy" being a beneficial thing. If we're going to name it after anyone, it would have to be someone who has mastered victim-playing and persecution complexes for political gain.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 11:01 pm

marshall wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
If wikipedia is your star witness, your case is in serious trouble.

Most of the things posted in that article are well known british political events. It is also well known that no one on merseyside will take the Sun after it falsely accused Liverpool fans of urinating on their own dead after the Hillsbrough disaster. It's a scummy low down rag that smears it's politcal opponents in anyway that it sees fit. Anyway debating with you is pointless as you are not interested in deviating from your views in the slightest.

You only just now figured that out? He is also unique in that his views align with the Republican party line as neatly as a tightrope walker adheres to his line. If Sean Hannity suddenly died in an unexpected accident Fox News could immediately hire Inuyasha to replace him and nobody would know the difference. All of us at WP could send Fox News a recommendation of citing some examples of his debate skills and he would be instantly hired. Ailes wouldn't have to worry about him deviating off course ever. Inuyasha would be an instant millionaire.

Sorry, but I don't think I would handle the constant death threats as well as Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, or Bill O'Reilly does.

UPDATE:

Glenn Beck has a field day on Media Matters' declaration of war.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/glenn-bec ... t_id=86917

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

Back to topic.

This thread and the article are proof of a Fox News war against Media Matters.

Discuss.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Back to topic.

Discuss.

Typical leftist, always blame conservatives for everything... :roll:

You get together with the other leftists of this board like Sen. Chuck Schumer does with Democrats?

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a member of the Democratic Senate leadership, got on a conference call with reporters Tuesday morning without realizing the reporters were already listening in. Schumer thought he was on a private line with four Democratic senators who were to talk with reporters about the current budget stalemate.

Schumer instructed the group, made up of Sens. Barbara Boxer of California, Tom Carper of Delaware, Ben Cardin of Maryland and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, to tell reporters that the GOP is refusing to negotiate.

He told the group to make sure they label the GOP spending cuts as "extreme."

"I always use extreme, Schumer said. "That is what the caucus instructed me to use."

Someone must have finally told Schumer that the media were listening and he stopped talking midsentence.

Here's a bit more of what he said about House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, according to my notes.

"The main thrust is basically that we want to negotiate and we want to come up with a compromise but the Tea Party is pulling Boehner too far over to the right and so far over that there is no more fruitful negotiations," Schumer said on the call. "The only way we can avoid a shutdown is for Boehner to come up with a reasonable compromise and not just listen to what the Tea Party wants. "

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/bel ... z1I6dYmI5Z

Fox News has been critical of Media Matters, they haven't been on a vendetta like Media Matters appears to be on.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:43 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Back to topic.

Discuss.

And the fact that Inuyasha started an entire thread dedicated to Media Matters just proves that they are onto something. I think the right is actually scared of Media Matters or else they would just ignore them. :P

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

marshall wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Back to topic.

Discuss.

And the fact that Inuyasha started an entire thread dedicated to Media Matters just proves that they are onto something. I think the right is actually scared of Media Matters or else they would just ignore them. :P

I created the thread because it is a major event that a leftist group has finally dropped their charade and shown that they are a leftist group.

Furthermore, I figured that I needed to bring this up before certain individuals here started using the bogus news from media matters as a legitimate source in their smear campaign.

Also, Mediamatters is basically breaking the law because they are a 501c.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:54 pm

From the mediamatters.org...

"Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media."(bold mine)

Unlike Fox News, MMFA doesn't claim to be "fair and balanced". So it appears that MMFA is actually more honest in admitting its partisan slant than Fox News is.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:47 pm

Typical rightist, always blame liberals for everything... :roll:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
That is correct; I was referring to a denunciation or "negative endorsement" from "the enemy" being a beneficial thing. If we're going to name it after anyone, it would have to be someone who has mastered victim-playing and persecution complexes for political gain.

My reflexive instinct is "the Sharpton effect", but that almost seems too obvious. I also like "the Palin Principle", since her greatest talent seems to be drawing attacks from people who will only increase her standing with her base by slamming her. I'll give her the occasional legitimate gripe on feminist grounds, and the focus on her immediately after Tuscon was asinine, but I can't think of anyone who gets more mileage out of being attacked. Also, I like alliteration.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

My reflexive instinct is "the Sharpton effect", but that almost seems too obvious. I also like "the Palin Principle", since her greatest talent seems to be drawing attacks from people who will only increase her standing with her base by slamming her. I'll give her the occasional legitimate gripe on feminist grounds, and the focus on her immediately after Tuscon was asinine, but I can't think of anyone who gets more mileage out of being attacked. Also, I like alliteration.

But is this "negative endorsement" from the "enemy" phenomenon actually changing anyone's views? It seems like most claims to that effect are mostly partisan bluster. The only people that pay attention to what groups like MMFA say are people who already have their mind made up. The same goes for Fox News conservative political commentary. The only people who watch it are conservatives like Inuyasha and masochistic liberals who watch it to get riled up. More apolitical people who might be open to persuasion don't pay attention to either Glenn Beck or MMFA.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm

OK, so I second the vote for The Palin Principle, and I think your vote and mine are sufficient to overrule any vetoes. So what shall we decide as the official definition of the Palin Principle?

And alliteration is always awesome.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 12:04 am

marshall wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

But is this "negative endorsement" from the "enemy" phenomenon actually changing anyone's views? It seems like most claims to that effect are mostly partisan bluster.

It changes people's view when the "critics" finally cross the line, like attacking Palin's youngest son. I guess liberals get kicks out of bashing a toddler.

marshall wrote:
The only people that pay attention to what groups like MMFA say are people who already have their mind made up.

Well I would say the same about people paying attention to the New York Times, unfortunately the people that tend to pay attention to that pile of garbage includes the talking heads of the mainstream media.

marshall wrote:
The same goes for Fox News conservative political commentary. The only people who watch it are conservatives like Inuyasha and masochistic liberals who watch it to get riled up. More apolitical people who might be open to persuasion don't pay attention to either Glenn Beck or MMFA.

Kinda sad when those commentators and the National Enquirer are the ones that are actually doing the investigative journalism while the mainstream media does its best to ignore it, and/or expresses desire to want to have sex with Obama.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

Inuyasha wrote:
the mainstream media expresses desire to want to have sex with Obama.

Which "mainstream media" is this?

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 4:22 pm

8O

Wrong Planet sure entertained some lively discussions back in the day.

Just wondering: does Wrong Planet still have any Fox News viewers? If so, how did you handle the sex scandals? Roger Ailes' firing and death? Megan Kelly joining the "Lamestream Media?" The downfall of Bill O'Reilly? Do you still hate George Soros and Media Matters? Do you know what you're supposed to think any more? Or, is life just too confusing now?

Or, have most of the Wrong Planet members involved in this discussion been banished over time? They seem to have been quite a feisty bunch.