George Soros and Media Matters have gone unhinged

Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
That is correct; I was referring to a denunciation or "negative endorsement" from "the enemy" being a beneficial thing. If we're going to name it after anyone, it would have to be someone who has mastered victim-playing and persecution complexes for political gain.

My reflexive instinct is "the Sharpton effect", but that almost seems too obvious. I also like "the Palin Principle", since her greatest talent seems to be drawing attacks from people who will only increase her standing with her base by slamming her. I'll give her the occasional legitimate gripe on feminist grounds, and the focus on her immediately after Tuscon was asinine, but I can't think of anyone who gets more mileage out of being attacked. Also, I like alliteration.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
That is correct; I was referring to a denunciation or "negative endorsement" from "the enemy" being a beneficial thing. If we're going to name it after anyone, it would have to be someone who has mastered victim-playing and persecution complexes for political gain.

My reflexive instinct is "the Sharpton effect", but that almost seems too obvious. I also like "the Palin Principle", since her greatest talent seems to be drawing attacks from people who will only increase her standing with her base by slamming her. I'll give her the occasional legitimate gripe on feminist grounds, and the focus on her immediately after Tuscon was asinine, but I can't think of anyone who gets more mileage out of being attacked. Also, I like alliteration.

But is this "negative endorsement" from the "enemy" phenomenon actually changing anyone's views? It seems like most claims to that effect are mostly partisan bluster. The only people that pay attention to what groups like MMFA say are people who already have their mind made up. The same goes for Fox News conservative political commentary. The only people who watch it are conservatives like Inuyasha and masochistic liberals who watch it to get riled up. More apolitical people who might be open to persuasion don't pay attention to either Glenn Beck or MMFA.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm

OK, so I second the vote for The Palin Principle, and I think your vote and mine are sufficient to overrule any vetoes. So what shall we decide as the official definition of the Palin Principle?

And alliteration is always awesome.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 12:04 am

marshall wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

But is this "negative endorsement" from the "enemy" phenomenon actually changing anyone's views? It seems like most claims to that effect are mostly partisan bluster.

It changes people's view when the "critics" finally cross the line, like attacking Palin's youngest son. I guess liberals get kicks out of bashing a toddler.

marshall wrote:
The only people that pay attention to what groups like MMFA say are people who already have their mind made up.

Well I would say the same about people paying attention to the New York Times, unfortunately the people that tend to pay attention to that pile of garbage includes the talking heads of the mainstream media.

marshall wrote:
The same goes for Fox News conservative political commentary. The only people who watch it are conservatives like Inuyasha and masochistic liberals who watch it to get riled up. More apolitical people who might be open to persuasion don't pay attention to either Glenn Beck or MMFA.

Kinda sad when those commentators and the National Enquirer are the ones that are actually doing the investigative journalism while the mainstream media does its best to ignore it, and/or expresses desire to want to have sex with Obama.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

Inuyasha wrote:
the mainstream media expresses desire to want to have sex with Obama.

Which "mainstream media" is this?

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 4:22 pm

8O

Wrong Planet sure entertained some lively discussions back in the day.

Just wondering: does Wrong Planet still have any Fox News viewers? If so, how did you handle the sex scandals? Roger Ailes' firing and death? Megan Kelly joining the "Lamestream Media?" The downfall of Bill O'Reilly? Do you still hate George Soros and Media Matters? Do you know what you're supposed to think any more? Or, is life just too confusing now?

Or, have most of the Wrong Planet members involved in this discussion been banished over time? They seem to have been quite a feisty bunch.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

StinkyDog wrote:

Wrong Planet sure entertained some lively discussions back in the day.

Just wondering: does Wrong Planet still have any Fox News viewers? If so, how did you handle the sex scandals? Roger Ailes' firing and death? Megan Kelly joining the "Lamestream Media?" The downfall of Bill O'Reilly? Do you still hate George Soros and Media Matters? Do you know what you're supposed to think any more? Or, is life just too confusing now?

Or, have most of the Wrong Planet members involved in this discussion been banished over time? They seem to have been quite a feisty bunch.

StinkyDog the liberal is obviously still butthurt about Trump winning the election, so to try to cheer herself up she resurrects a random long-dead forum thread and tries to goad conservatives by talking about things like Bill O'Reilly being fired from Fox News as if anyone gives a crap, haha.

It's kind of sad really.