I don't care about spelling and grammar

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm

Spelling and grammar is one of the difficult tasks for me. It seems like this comes easily for people with AS, but it doesn't for me. I also don't care about other people's spelling and grammar. Sure, if someone types like this:

u r so kool

It's slightly annoying, but that's only because it's REALLY BAD grammar. I always need to get someone to proofread my work for me because I can't find mistakes to save my life so, yeah. I also only proofread when it's necessary. I allow my friends to tease me about how bad my spelling is, one friends reads whatever I am asking her to read "how it is".

I am good a reading and creative writing, but not spelling and grammar, it's the only part that I don't like about English class.

Believe me, I would be the worst speller on here if it weren't for spell check.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 29 Mar 2011, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

You didn't do bad with grammar here.

I am the same with math, I've always been a good speller.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:18 pm

[Post Deleted]

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 29 Mar 2011, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2011, 1:19 pm

Luckily when you go to college you can just spell check everything nowadays :).

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:19 pm

Spelling is a bigger problem than grammar and I used spell check. I am not very good at math either. I am good at everyday math, but not advanced math.

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2011, 1:22 pm

O, you're just being hard on yourself.
I understand though, if you're not number one you're in last place right?

That mentality is crap but I have it also...

"Cats, Public Transit" I love these also.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

I don't mind poor grammar in a casual sense but it does annoy me when it comes from a professional or in formal settings. I.e I once had a copy of a referral letter from a dentist describing how the antibiotics I had taken 'did not worked'. That did irritate me.

I also had a job club representative write my C.V for me once as well. The grammar was so bad I had to come home and do it again myself lol.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm

I used to be an English teacher and I learned to be very tolerant and understanding of bad grammar and spelling. Some people just don't have the knack for it, and they just need to make the extra effort to either use spell check (which didn't exist at the time) or have someone look at their work for errors. I always corrected the spelling and grammar on my students' papers but I never took off points from their grade for it. I was more interested in the content of what they wrote.

I'm not bothered by errors unless, as bumble said, it's in a professional setting, like in a book, for instance, where someone had the job of correcting mistakes and just didn't do his or her job.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:48 pm

"u r so Kool" yeah I can read that but if a whole entire post was written like that, I'd have a hard time reading it.

And isn't poor grammar where you say things like "He don't use a fork" I seen it on TV" "it don't go there" than bad spelling?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:07 am

I have poor grammar and spelling too! I was a really good speller as a child.............what happened?

Really bad grammar/spelling confuses and distracts me when I'm trying to read........but that's really hypocritical of me............a few errors in a post wouldn't bother me.....................

Mithra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2011, 1:53 am

Ya know,

I am a stickler for good grammar and spelling...but at the same time, people need to understand that posts online are often in shorthand or not perfect. I can live with misspelled words or not so great grammar from responders (I know well that I am not perfect either). If it is readable, I'm okay. Saying that, it really ticks me off to see a post/article from a professional that has terrible spelling or grammar. Isn't that what editors are for?

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Spelling and grammar is one of the difficult tasks for me. It seems like this comes easily for people with AS, but it doesn't for me. I also don't care about other people's spelling and grammar. Sure, if someone types like this:

u r so kool

It's slightly annoying, but that's only because it's REALLY BAD grammar. I always need to get someone to proofread my work for me because I can't find mistakes to save my life so, yeah. I also only proofread when it's necessary. I allow my friends to tease me about how bad my spelling is, one friends reads whatever I am asking her to read "how it is".

I am good a reading and creative writing, but not spelling and grammar, it's the only part that I don't like about English class.

Believe me, I would be the worst speller on here if it weren't for spell check.