Yes 76%  76%  [ 45 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 59

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Superfly wrote:
I run. 5 days a week, adding up to about 30 miles a week on average.

I do also do yoga 2-4 times a week, but struggle to keep motivated to go on. Twice a week in a group setting, the other times at home.

Neither is particularly social. There's very little interaction in the yoga groups, even accounting for the fact that I am one only guy in one of the groups. I dont see the women talking among themself much either either before and after the exercise. I do run alone 95% of the time, the exception being monthy races. I've learned to recognise a few faces at the races, but havent really talked much with people there either. Might try joining a running group in the summer, we'll see.

I'm tempted to try tai chi as a kinda intermedia form between yoga and martial arts.

I'm encouraged when you say that your yoga classes aren't particularly social. Maybe I should give it a try. It's not that I'm so adverse to socializing, but it can feel like an added pressure when all I want to do is go to class and learn something new.

Actually, I'm interested in tai chi too. Apparently it's really great for both defense and for health reasons. If I end up giving it a try, I'll let you know how it goes. :D

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:43 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
syrella wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Regular exercise is my primary form of stress relief.

What do you do for your exercise usually? Do you surf? :)

During the winter, marshal arts and some yoga. Spring to fall, other things, including surfing. If I lived closer to the coast, I would surf year round.

That's cool. My dad surfed for many years. I tried it a little and felt like I was close to drowning. Haha. I have a lot of respect for people who can surf well, though. :D It seemed downright impossible to me.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I go for my walks when it's nice out and not too cold.

I enjoy walking too and that's probably my main source of exercise right now. I'd just like to do a little something more than that, though.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

bumble wrote:
I was into health and fitness for a while...although my primary interest was in the link between nutrition and mental health (ie depression...some studies suggest that EFA's can be more effective against depression than both anti depressants and placebos for example) but did used to do physical exercise as well. I used to like to balance my work outs between flexibility, strength training and aerobic exercise for all round fitness (so Dance and Step Aerobics, Yoga and weights for example).

Lately most of my interest has been in Art so my exercise routine has been a bit ignored lol. Although if I start seeing my work outs as a form of art again I expect I can bring back my interest in it (remodelling my body to the shape I want it to be...my body being the canvas and the exercise being the tools of the trade so to speak etc).

Im odd lol

Yeah, health and nutrition was a huge interest of mine for a bit. I think over-focusing on it caused some health problems though. xD So I made a conscious effort to tone it down a bit.

As for the workouts being seen as art... why don't you try combining the two practices in a more tangible fashion? Like go for a long walk to the park or other quiet spot, stop for awhile, draw/paint/whatever, then head on back. :D (I dunno, it sounded good in my head)

Or, I dunno... take up dance as an art form? I've heard that can be a good mixture. Plus, it also teaches you about body mechanics, which are great to know about if you ever plan on drawing people.

(Or maybe I'm just randomly spouting out ideas that make no sense xD Also perfectly possible)

Downtown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

I like to go running.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:02 pm

Most mornings I do a regular routine of: 20 minutes on a Nordic track ski machine, some stretches, a bit of light weight lifting, sit ups. This usually take about 35 minutes.

A few times a week I go for an evening walk. My usual one was 2.3 miles but since I've recently moved, I need to find a new route. The one I like best right now is almost 4 miles but might be a bit much for regular walk.

I haven't biked much lately and last Saturday I wanted to get back to doing that so I did an easy 20 mile ride and ended up coming down with a cold immediately afterward. Still, I have to get back to biking 20 or 30 miles a couple times a week.

These are all things I do alone. Biking is the only one where I sometimes have to deal with people. Sometimes people will ride next to me on the bike path and try to have a conversation. But most of the time I can happily ride alone.

While the regular exercise hasn't eliminated depression, it has made it a great deal easier to deal with. And I have more energy for doing other things as well.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

Various forms of cardio, bodyweight training.

SpideryMusic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2011, 1:25 am

zero socializing
huge peaceful benefits

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 3:17 am

I spend a lot of time walking and jogging by a nearby lake that has an extensive network of sidewalks and bike trails. I can jog for miles this way before turning around and heading back to my car. I used to jog at a park that had a mile and half track, it was too short and got boring. I like jogging because it's a great way to exercise without talking or interacting with anyone.

Revival
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2011, 12:50 pm

I used to get drunk and go to a nightclub and dance away ignoring everyone else, never speaking to anyone lol, that counted as exercise. :lol:

Now I obsessively powerlift, jog and do martial arts. I'm desperately trying to get back into shape after months of heavy drinking. :oops: I really want to be in shape for summer..... for the shallowest of reasons lol. I'm messing my course up though.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

I play bass, walk and run.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

I swim, walk and bike, but I don't exercise as much as I'd like to anymore. I'm having major trouble myself with finding suitable exercise.

I used to swim a lot more than I do now, but my eczema has gotten a lot worse and gets really bad after every pool trip, so I've had to cut back on the swimming, but I haven't been able to replace it with anything else. I can't seem to do any one type of exercise a lot, due to physical disabilities and medical conditions that I have. I've been thinking of joining a gym, where I could get various kinds of exercise in one place, but I really don't like being around so many strangers and the gyms in my area seem to be pretty crowded most of the time.

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2011, 1:35 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I live near Stone Mountain so I usually walk up that when I feel the need to exercise.

Hey! I remember that place! We used to go to laser shows there, but I was always scared of the fireworks. I lived in Marrietta and later Kennesaw..

Anyway, on exercise: I often walk back to my apartment from the college campus. It takes about an hour, and it's nice to have some air. I like to walk on the treadmills in the complex, too, but it's hard to find a time when the workout room is not full of crazy people and music that's WAY too loud (I thought they all had iPods...)

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2011, 1:40 pm

@syrella: Just browsing through the page..I must say, your picture is so pretty to look at. Color kitty!! ! :colors:

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

I work out at home three times a week. I also play squash or tennis (depending on the weather) about once a week.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm

I'm the only one in my family who regularly does exercise. I commute by bike 2 or 3 days a week on a 13 mile distance and do 65 or more miles for practice with an average speed close to 20 nearly every month. I swim about 2 times a month 1.3 mile.

Cross county mountain biking is my favorite, I participate in the same competition every year as an amateur.