Feeling compelled to eat EVERYTHING on the plate

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm

All the time. But what really sucks is that whenever I overeat I get extreme nausea, and I end up hating myself for the next 4 hours. I have to listen to myself when I can't eat any more.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

If I didn't eat everything on my plate I was sent to bed. Breakfast the next morning was what was left on the plate from the previous night. Still on the plate. Eaten cold. I swear sometimes my mother made crap just so we would wouldn't eat it and she could punish us. It's amazing what you can learn to like.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 3:11 pm

Another way of thinking of it is that if your body doesn't want it, you're only 'wasting' it that way anyway.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

31 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

Tequila wrote:
Another way of thinking of it is that if your body doesn't want it, you're only 'wasting' it that way anyway.

The thing is, I DO want it.
I could eat triple what most people do and still feel hungry.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 3:34 pm

How about a gastric band then? If you have the moneys. Unless you're not Captain Tubby, then it might be tricky.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

I have this problem. I think that it is a combination of the way that I was raised and some form of perfectionism. When I was growing up, I was pressured to eat everything that was left, not just what was on my plate, so that there wouldn't be any leftovers to store away. In retrospect, that was a really bad idea, and trained me to have really bad ideas about eating. Fortunately, restaurants are now offering the option of smaller portions, which helps me a lot.

By the way, the person who did the endless-soup-bowl experiment, mentioned above, wrote a book on the subject, Mindless Eating. It's quite interesting, and explains a lot about how people are affected more by external factors than they would think.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

I used to leave stuff on my plate, but these days I usually leave a clean place...unless it's got mushrooms in it, in which case I'll pick them out and leave them

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm

WillMcC wrote:
I used to leave stuff on my plate, but these days I usually leave a clean place...unless it's got mushrooms in it, in which case I'll pick them out and leave them
You'd hate being where I live then, my town is known as the 'Mushroom Capital' of the US. We grow them as a main crop, they are our primary 'export.'
I wish it was pigs though, I love pigs. They are one of my bigger obsessions. Mushrooms? Wooooow. :roll:

And I also clean food off my plate, I am always afaid to 'waste' food, as i'll just end up throwing it away once I lose interst in it. Overeating rarely happens with meat (as I can just reheat it and it remains tasty as ever) but vegetable can get nasty and soggy if rewarmed too much.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 10:39 pm

I would ask for a "to go" box when I go to a restaurant, but, most the time, I don't like the way leftovers taste. So, I try to order something small and eat everything on the plate. If there are any potatoes, I might not eat all of them. Yesterday I had some four cheese pizza and a calzone at a local pizza place. I tend to over do it, and wish I hadn't, later.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Apr 2011, 6:37 am

WillMcC wrote:

I love love love mushrooms! :D

russian
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 6:48 am

Metalwolf wrote:
WillMcC wrote:
You'd hate being where I live then, my town is known as the 'Mushroom Capital' of the US. We grow them as a main crop, they are our primary 'export.'

Kennet Square? I used to have piano lessons in avondale.

Bleu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2011, 10:35 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
I have empathy for inanimate objects; I feel quite bad when I throw away food.

Same here. I always think the food I didn't eat will be sad and think it wasn't good enough for me. And I don't really like wasting food, makes me feel sort of guilty.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 10:44 am

I don't have this problem.

I eat till I'm full and then I'm done. And if there is some food on the plate so be it, I'm full.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 1:51 pm

russian wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:
WillMcC wrote:

Kennet Square? I used to have piano lessons in avondale.
You guessed right. 8)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 3:41 pm

One of my friends is a little overweight while I'm a little thin (he is also higher). We compete sometimes who of us can eat more. It takes a couple of days for him to win (extremely proud of), so I'm the moral winner. 8) Also, I tend to eat more than my fellow cyclists on the same tour. Tip: eat slow, chew well.

I eat much compared to my body size since my very early age. Yes, I also feel sad when I have to dump food, and I clear everything from the plate. I can eat food that nobody else would for thinking already over 'Best before'.

I thought this thing with food had to do something with stupid eagerness or scabbiness. :D

twinsmummy20
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 5:22 pm

This is an aspie thing? My husband is so bad at this it isnt even funny. He will finish ALL of our food. All 4 kids and mine (if he likes it). He cant waste food. He says he cant waste the money. If we go to a buffet, he eats forever. He is skinny too. But he eats so much it turns heads. He has to get his moneys worth. He gets buyers remorse easily if he doesnt feel full enough after.