Radiation exposure from your phone?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

With all this talk about japan leaking radiation from there melting nuclear reactor's I thought I might take a moment to educate to people here about the common sources of radiation that you encounter on a daily basis. one in particular your cell phone.

Web Page Name

I have given some thought to this article. And have a personal note to add to this. I keep my phone in my purse and hold it under my arm which puts my phone right by my right breast in the exact spot where a lump has been found. I am in the process of finding out whether or not it is cancerous . perhaps its a coincidence but something to consider none the less.

So if your worried about radiation exposure and the risks it poses to your health you should consider the radiation you encounter in your daily life.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

just-me wrote:
So if your worried about radiation exposure and the risks it poses to your health you should consider the radiation you encounter in your daily life.

Which, unless you live in Chernobyl, Pripyat, Fukushima, et cetera, is not enough to do any damage to you ever...

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:18 pm

dunbots wrote:
just-me wrote:

Which, unless you live in Chernobyl, Pripyat, Fukushima, et cetera, is not enough to do any damage to you ever...

Did you not read the article? It says it does pose a potential health threat. cell phones have always given off potently harmful radiation, the problem is they are still dong research into figuring out how harmful it is, if at all because they still aren't sure.

If you had read the artical it said....
"Some studies have suggested a link between cellphone use and cancer, lower bone density and infertility in men. But other studies show no effect at all. "

The fact is we dont know if it is harmful or not so you cannot say it is safe because even the scientists dont know. they are still researching.

I suggest you read the article before commenting.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

Other sources include to much sun exposure and tanning beds.

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 12:50 am

The radiation from nuclear power plants is different from the radiation from your phone.

"Radiation" refers to energy on the electromagnetic spectrum. This includes radio waves, and visible light as well, the later of which is about 400-700 nanometers in wavelength, with 700 nanometers being infrared/red, and 400 nanometers being violet/the visible portion of ultra violet.

Wavelength smaller than 400 nanometers consist of UV light, then x-rays, then high energy ionizing radiation such as gamma rays. It's called ionizing radiation because it has enough energy to knock electrons off of atoms, causing the molecule which the atom is part of to become unstable.

Radiation from nuclear power plants and naturally radioactive elements is ionizing radiation.

Wavelengths shorter than radio wavelengths but longer than infrared wavelengths are called microwaves because...well they are a few micrometers long.

These wavelengths have advantages both in communication and cooking food. They are able to cook food when they are blasted at high enough amplitudes because they cause water molecules to vibrate, and heat is actually a result of molecular vibration.

Cell phones transmit low amplitude microwaves, far less in amplitude than a microwave oven, however over the past few years, they have raised health concerns because their biological effect is poorly understood.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 8:32 am

No one's died of phone radiation yet so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. It's just some scaremongering crap. If all this "ZOMG MOBILE PHONES ARE DANGEROUSSS" stuff is true, then most girls would all be riddled with cancers by the time they've finished their teens :wink:.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

Chronos wrote:
The radiation from nuclear power plants is different from the radiation from your phone.

"Radiation" refers to energy on the electromagnetic spectrum. This includes radio waves, and visible light as well, the later of which is about 400-700 nanometers in wavelength, with 700 nanometers being infrared/red, and 400 nanometers being violet/the visible portion of ultra violet.

Wavelength smaller than 400 nanometers consist of UV light, then x-rays, then high energy ionizing radiation such as gamma rays. It's called ionizing radiation because it has enough energy to knock electrons off of atoms, causing the molecule which the atom is part of to become unstable.

Radiation from nuclear power plants and naturally radioactive elements is ionizing radiation.

Wavelengths shorter than radio wavelengths but longer than infrared wavelengths are called microwaves because...well they are a few micrometers long.

These wavelengths have advantages both in communication and cooking food. They are able to cook food when they are blasted at high enough amplitudes because they cause water molecules to vibrate, and heat is actually a result of molecular vibration.

Cell phones transmit low amplitude microwaves, far less in amplitude than a microwave oven, however over the past few years, they have raised health concerns because their biological effect is poorly understood.

QFT very good informative post Chronos!

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 11:29 am

MONKEY wrote:
No one's died of phone radiation yet so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. It's just some scaremongering crap. If all this "ZOMG MOBILE PHONES ARE DANGEROUSSS" stuff is true, then most girls would all be riddled with cancers by the time they've finished their teens :wink:.

My post was not intended to fear monger it is meant to educate and inform.