Why do 99% of the people here hate facebook?

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you hate Facebook?
Yes 27%  27%  [ 37 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 56 ]
In the middle 17%  17%  [ 23 ]
Yes, but I don't mind if other people use it 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 138

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 10:33 pm

I would not say i hate it, but i will NEVER have a facebook account. There security record is about as strong as... something not very strong...

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 11:19 pm

Titangeek wrote:
I would not say i hate it, but i will NEVER have a facebook account. There security record is about as strong as... something not very strong...

:chin:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm

Musicprophets wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

:chin:

:?:

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2011, 12:01 am

it was meant to be taken as a sarcastic chin rub. plus i thought your response was funny. so yeah. :)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 12:06 am

Musicprophets wrote:
it was meant to be taken as a sarcastic chin rub. plus i thought your response was funny. so yeah. :)

ah 8)

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 12:41 am

KBerg wrote:
The total expectation of participation bothers me. It's assumed that I have a facebook page because, well, everyone has a facebook page. How else would we have meaningful convers.. I mean throw sheep at one another? Too many people equate facebook with being reachable. I still have email, I have a cell, a ground line and an AIM/MSN handle for IMing.

The assumptions about facebook and people bother me far more than the existence of facebook. When it is assumed that the only reason someone would have for not being on facebook is because they simply don't like people. I like people fine. But I take some serious exceptions to facebook's privacy policy and attitude towards security when it comes to third party addons and other software, how they handle their updates and how they creep a little closer on privacy and security settings every time.

And to be honest, people always find some new social whatever that will make it a thousand times easier to keep in touch. But it never holds. Because really, most of the people you lost track of you probably didn't care an awful lot about keeping in touch with anyway. Otherwise why would people who claimed to want to keep in touch with me ignore the fact that my email hasn't changed in over 12 years and they've had the address forever? Usually as well as my phone number and home address. The real reason they didn't send an email was that it either wasn't important enough to them, or they felt guilty that they hadn't in a while and then it just got tougher and tougher for them to send anything as it time went on. Having a new social network site doesn't fix that, it's a people problem, not a technology problem.

That - all of it :)

I tried it for a very short time and found it horribly invasive and stressful. Especially the constant notifications, friends of friends, total strangers or people I vaguely knew 20 years ago all want to be "friends" and from where I'm standing there's no connection whatsoever between a friend and a "facebook friend".

I'm also practical about this stuff, if I'm interested in someone I always stay in touch in one way or another, if I didn't it means I'm just not interested :shrug:

And some people get really weird about it, if you say you don't have one and don't like it they react like you slapped them.

Not that I have anything against those who enjoy it, but for me lack of privacy and constant intrusion are a total nightmare.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 12:44 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
And some people get really weird about it, if you say you don't have one and don't like it they react like you slapped them.

And how. 8O

Sallamandrina wrote:
Not that I have anything against those who enjoy it, but for me lack of privacy and constant intrusion are a total nightmare.

Well-said. When I consider getting one, those are two things that immediately put me off of it.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

mhm
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2011, 1:13 am

I don't hate Facebook. At one point I was an avid user and could waste hours on there. But now I don't use it that much. It's still handy for keeping in touch with old friends.

Beabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

I do like facebook, but I can't stay on it very long without getting bored. Weirdly enough I'm way more of a social person in real life then I am online. That and when I do go on usually 5 or 6 people try to private message me and it gets annoying.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 6:12 pm

I am guilty of being addicted to Facebook..I also have alts for some of my Puppetrina dolls. It is one of the few outlets I have for human contact..i.e. I spend lots of time alone and not talking to anyone, but I have facebook..I have a lot of "friends" who I would not be able to socialize "irl", but I can on Facebook...I also have an Android phone and I compulsively upload weird special effects pics...

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 7:12 pm

I have a FB page, but I personally think the whole thing is overrated. I have found a few of my old HS friends on there, though, so I can't say I hate it entirely. It's okay, I guess.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu