Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

Lizerina wrote:
I have schizophrenia, and I stim a lot. I have a couple different stims, but my most common ones are rocking and rubbing my thumbs on my finger tips. I also have sensory processing issues and my therapist says that some of the things I do in relation to that could also count as stimming, such as how I almost always have something in my mouth.

Now for your questions:
1. Many of the stims I do are the same as the stims that people with ASD do.
2. I use stimming for lots of different reasons. I use it to calm myself, self regulate, and when I'm anxious, scared, or just bored. Although, I have noticed that I do stim sometimes when I'm really happy. So I guess I stim for pretty much the same reasons.
3. From what I've read about what it feels like when a person with ASD stims, it's pretty much the same.

One last thing, please don't say "schizophrenic." Some people don't mind, but others of us don't like it. When saying someone is a schizophrenic, you are defining them by their illness. I am not schizophrenic (literal definition: character of schizophrenia), but I do have schizophrenia. Therefore, I am a person with schizophrenia, not a schizophrenic.

I know a lot of other people with it or/and BP. They do have a lot of stims. I have a lot of stims and I think some are related to my MI like pacing and rocking. While fiddling with things including my hair, biting my nails, chewing on pencils is more related to my AS. I do notice a slight difference between them when they happen but mostly they like to over lap a lot.

And yeah schizophrenia has a lot of stigma attached to it I think there should be a name change in the new DSM. They could even list it as a neurological degenerative disease N.D.D just like S.T.I's we could be all like yeah I have an N.D.D and they'd be like well what one? MS? HD? BP? and we'd be like no it's the S one. And they'd be oh.... LOL it'd feel better not saying the whole word. N.D.D.S Well I'm sure there's some thing cooler we could do with it. It can be like African American replacing the word n****r. Then only we can call each other Schiz and if anyone else does they can be sued for harassment.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm

Lizerina wrote:
Yeah, I saw somewhere that newbies weren't really supposed to post links, so I thought I'd ask first.

Here it is: Autism vs. Schizophrenia

I've read this one before and I totally found it interesting. It's funny because they also complain about anemia treatments being bad for you and I ironically got anemia and treatment for it in high school, but I've had AS symptoms and SA symptoms way before that. So I kinda prefer the new research blaming retroviruses for autism, MS, BP, and Schiz.

Lizerina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

I don't know about a name change. I think we just need to work harder to reduce and eventually destroy the stigma associated with this and other mental illnesses. Although it would be kinda funny for schiz to become like n****r. lol

Non-schiz to a schiz: What up, schiz?!
Schiz: *looks at the non-schiz like he's crazy* Oh you did not just call me that! *snap snap snap*

XD

I don't really agree with what they think causes autism and schizophrenia, but I find that the chart detailing the similarities is really useful.

smartblnde
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2016, 6:08 am

Hello!
I am a mom of a young man (20) who is currently at a residential mental health 'facility,' for lack of a better word, who I believe has AS and NOT PS. He stims by using his hands to see if he can move objects. The stimming only happens when he is overwhelmed with too many people yakking at him or if there is pressure to make a decision.

The residential place is using ABA to change his stimming, but I disagree with them on this. If stimming lessens stress, and, therefore lessens cortisol/adrenaline, why stop it? It seems counterproductive to me, but I am 'just a parent,' and don't know much.

The professionals state he is disrupting the other residents with his 'stimming.' What would happen if the residents who DO deal with schizophrenia were encouraged to stim? Whatever that is: rocking, using hand motions (appropriate, of course), twirling hair, whatever. Does anyone think the reduced stress would decrease the voices (my son does not hear anything nor see anything, but just has some strange thought processes. That tends to happen in AS. He scored a 99 in science on the ASVAB, so he just could BE on to something when he tries to move things with his brain energy through his hands).

When I see someone stimming, or appearing to be stimming, in public now, I have a slight understanding they may be dealing with some stress and that is their way of doing so.

This is the group I found when I, too, googled 'stimming in schizophrenia.' I appreciate the input from those who deal with any 'difference' in how their brain processes input. Thanks for the help in helping my son.

:heart: