Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I still watch kid shows. I still get excited like a child and I still prefer sweets. My husband says I am like a child just by my attitude and how I act and see the world. How I show my emotions. Plus my anxiety makes me act real childish when it happens. I even look like I am having tantrums when I am not. My husband has described them as a toddler having one. He will say I am like a child under age ten or like a toddler to my teens. Then I am like a grown up. Sometimes I will still buy toys and then I tend to not open them because they were vintage and never been opened. None of this has nothing to do with me being an adult baby but my husband likes to connect it to all that. My ex boyfriend did it as an insult and would put me down for it and acted like I was ret*d because of what I liked and my quirks and how I functioned.

Wow you are a lot like me......I also have the childish traits you described ( getting frustrated and upset in a childish way, buying toys (although I open them-I have a collection of dollar store stuffed animals) and watching preschool cartoons. Also I had an ex-husband who used to put me down for these things and call me ret*d. I'm glad you found a new and better husband now. :)

Mine never called me ret*d, he just said I was a baby and the tone he would say it in was different. I realize now it was a mocking voice. Plus he would say things like "You should have been playing that ten years ago" implying I am too old for it and it's something I should have been playing ten years ago and then have outgrown it. Even he thought lot of movies I had were childish and video games I had. Then he said he thinks I am a 24/7 adult baby and then he said I am 18/7 after I argued with him about it pointing out unchildish things I do. he just needed someone who was more mature than me is all so perhaps he needs a normal woman. Not someone who has autism or other disabilities that causes childish behavior or someone who isn't childlike. You don't need to have any disabilities to have childlike interests.

My husband will call me a baby or a little girl or a kid but he means it in a different way. He isn't mocking me when he says it. Sometimes he says he two kids. It was the same for my mother too. In our old neighborhood, some neighbors would tease her about having four children instead of three because of my dad. He is a bit immature too but he doesn't have autism. Also my husband isn't critical about what I do.

No I didn't mean your husband....I meant your ex-boyfriend who you said put you down (I know I didn't make that clear) sounds like my ex-husband but I'm glad you found a new man (husband ) ......someone who doesn't put you down like that....and that you had your kids with the new better one :)

awgthtgtata
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

Well I have aspergers and I can drive a car, I can dress myself, feed myself, hold down a steady income, etc. I also take great pleasure in the simple things in life playing with window coverings, twirling my arms around when I feel happy, I still sleep with my teddy and I have a special blankie too. I love to watch kiddie television shows (usally anime). I also enjoy wearing diapers on occasion without being incontinent. At the same time I also enjoy watching adult TV shows/movies but I tend to get overloaded and need to revert sometimes. Usally when stressed out from work...

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

mellisamouse wrote:
I am about the level of a 10 year old, and I am SOOOO sick of people expecting me to have the emotions, tastes, and wants and needs of an adult....

I REALLY dont!

I am actually debating cutting all of my hair off so I look more like a boy because I am so sick and tired of being sexualized, and I just want people to be my friends for who I am as a person and to do crafts and things together, and am sick of people wanting to hang out with me because of what I look like...

Girls allways want to hang out with me so they can get guys easier, like they want a wing man, or someone to drink or go to the bar with, and guys wanna hang with me for more sinister reasons....

If I cut all of my hair off and stop wearing make-up, maybe I can find more people who just like arts and crafts and animals, and won't try to force me to be an adult, or watch shows that are too adult for me, or try to get me to in anyway care about their adult like conversations.

Now that I am finally on my own again, I really just want to never be looked at as a woman ever again, just as a person, and for my talents and hobbies, and that is IT.

Your level of intellect is a lot higher than that of a 10 year old's. Most 10 year olds would not be so secure in their sexuality. If you are transgender, do your friends and family know that you identify as a boy.

You mention you go to a bar with friends, yet you don't want to watch shows that are "too adult" for you. Could you have told your friends no since you don't want to watch those types of shows?
This in itself is confusing to people, likely. To the outside world you may seem normal for your age, yet in your mind you are 10 years old.

What if you find different friends that have similar interests as you such as animals, arts and crafts?

What do you parents think of all this? Usually when a child truly has a mind that is literally a child's mind, they want to protect their child from naivete and everything else that comes along with it.

Maybe some type of Peter Pan Syndrome? or wanting to recapture your childhood?

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 4:27 am

It is an AS thing to be immature for your age.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

There's a lot of prejudice against incontinent people around here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There's a lot of prejudice against incontinent people around here.

Huh where? I didn't see it. Show us where the prejudice is?

If this is about adult babies or just wearing a diaper for none medical need, that has nothing to do with incontinence.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

I'm a total kid at heart. I will never give up my blocks or my plushies! Whenever online, I portray myself as a child because that's what I am inside. I still love cartoons (Phineas and ferb is my favorite!) and prefer simple foods like mac and cheese with ketchup and hotdogs to more "adult" meals most of the time. That said, I am still functioning as an adult. I learn just fine, have a much larger base of knowledge than most 6-year olds, and can act age appropriate when needed... but it's just an act. I hate the adult world with a passion. All the rules, regulations, politics, formalities, and other noise that goes along with "acting my age" is total crap to me. I see no reason I shouldn't just be myself. Sure, it does make it difficult sometimes, but that's what the adult world is to me - just a bunch of difficult, overly complicated nonsense that got made up along the way.

I can and do of course have my adult moments too, where I get wrapped up in "adult things", and people have even accused me of being "mature for my age"... but when allowed to unwind, relax, and have fun, I prefer to be a kid, where the stupid rules and heartburn of being an adult can just go away.

honestly I am surprised to see others that are similar...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 5:11 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I still watch kid shows. I still get excited like a child and I still prefer sweets. My husband says I am like a child just by my attitude and how I act and see the world. How I show my emotions. Plus my anxiety makes me act real childish when it happens. I even look like I am having tantrums when I am not. My husband has described them as a toddler having one. He will say I am like a child under age ten or like a toddler to my teens. Then I am like a grown up. Sometimes I will still buy toys and then I tend to not open them because they were vintage and never been opened. None of this has nothing to do with me being an adult baby but my husband likes to connect it to all that. My ex boyfriend did it as an insult and would put me down for it and acted like I was ret*d because of what I liked and my quirks and how I functioned.

Wow you are a lot like me......I also have the childish traits you described ( getting frustrated and upset in a childish way, buying toys (although I open them-I have a collection of dollar store stuffed animals) and watching preschool cartoons. Also I had an ex-husband who used to put me down for these things and call me ret*d. I'm glad you found a new and better husband now. :)

Mine never called me ret*d, he just said I was a baby and the tone he would say it in was different. I realize now it was a mocking voice. Plus he would say things like "You should have been playing that ten years ago" implying I am too old for it and it's something I should have been playing ten years ago and then have outgrown it. Even he thought lot of movies I had were childish and video games I had. Then he said he thinks I am a 24/7 adult baby and then he said I am 18/7 after I argued with him about it pointing out unchildish things I do. he just needed someone who was more mature than me is all so perhaps he needs a normal woman. Not someone who has autism or other disabilities that causes childish behavior or someone who isn't childlike. You don't need to have any disabilities to have childlike interests.

My husband will call me a baby or a little girl or a kid but he means it in a different way. He isn't mocking me when he says it. Sometimes he says he two kids. It was the same for my mother too. In our old neighborhood, some neighbors would tease her about having four children instead of three because of my dad. He is a bit immature too but he doesn't have autism. Also my husband isn't critical about what I do.

No I didn't mean your husband....I meant your ex-boyfriend who you said put you down (I know I didn't make that clear) sounds like my ex-husband but I'm glad you found a new man (husband ) ......someone who doesn't put you down like that....and that you had your kids with the new better one :)

I was talking about my ex boyfriend. He never called me ret*d like yours did. Instead he did the other things I already said like putting me down for things I liked. My husband is a great guy. It may seem hypocritical to some that I didn't like how my ex boyfriend would call me a baby or a kid for things I liked but yet when my husband does it, it doesn't bother me. But the difference is my husband isn't putting me down when he calls me that and he likes my quirks and all and my ex was when he did call me those and he didn't like my childish quirks and behavior because he felt he was with a child and didn't like it. Just like how I didn't like how my first ex boyfriend wanted to play his game all the time and never get off but yet my husband does the same and it doesn't bother me. The difference is my husband works and pays the bills and helps take care of our child and he helps me out so him playing his game is no problem. My ex on the other hand didn't want to work and he didn't really contribute to anything and he wanted to spend all his money on himself instead of on bills. That is also the difference. Sometimes it does feel like hypocrisy to me but when I think of the differences, then it's not so hypocritical anymore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

I"m just regular autistic.
I had a heat stroke when I was 15 this did not
help things, now I have axidents, and limp and
I get confused about growedup things, and if
peple are mean at me I have tantrumns.

My X gf Sue-er wood insult me because I
am not growed up and cant be one.

alot of peple dont get why i dont want a gf now,
but i won't comply.

I watch cartoons and I have aolot of toys,
legos and hotwheels, etc i'd rather play
with my toys than get married, etc.

I have my own world and I dont ofen let
anyone inside of it, normal or not.

It is my Tigger world with kittens and
playtime and not many wood get it.

The abuse I got from peple in life has
beated me down and I gived up on society
for the most part. I most ly just stay in
my playroom now.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 9:27 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Pinkaspie5 wrote:
Of course it is very common, aspies are very sensitive people. who often react in really bizarre ways.. which would be normally considered childish.. So yeah

+1

That and being "socially awkward" means people think we respond to situations with a child-like simplicity...failing to appreciate the complexities of human interaction. That's not always so...we might comprehend it but not process it fast enough to appropriately respond when we should.

This all makes sense to me.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 10:15 am

Alphabetania wrote:
I do take childlike pleasure in things like playing around at airports, running with the trolleys, treating the railings as a ballet barre and swinging on the overhead bars hand-grips in the bus which takes you to the plane.
I know some people probably find my behaviour strange in a not-good way, but most people laugh with me rather than at me. I get the impression that they wish they had the guts to behave like that too.

Yes, I can be a bit like that, too (though less and less with age). I often wonder how many NTs wish they could do childish things, but don't because it's "not allowed" for adults. It really is their choice, though. If you want to play with dolls as a 35 year-old woman (or man for that matter) - what's the harm? It's unusual, certainly, but I don't see a problem with it, except the indirect problems created by other people's perception.

mellisamouse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

rapidroy wrote:
last coulpe posts are perfect, I sometimes wonder why I do this and the best I have come up with is i'm using my child like traits to emotionly counter balance my behond my years traits(that can be very depressing), im I crazy? The thing is I never really was all that childish in meny ways when I was the age of one, nor did I ever relate to the other children.

too true, I never felt safe enough as a child to be a child, if that makes sense, now that I am older and out on my own in the world, I am just being who I want, who is finally the child I never got t be. :)

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:29 am

I also have Autism Spectrum Disorder and specifically High Functioning Asperger's Syndrome. I am incontinent and I can do most things myself although I have a great deal of difficulty with workplace social situations. Actually, all social situations are a tremendous challenge for me. I'm incontinent due to medical and psychological reasons, toileting is another tremendous problem I've had since I was a kid. I'm 42 now and I still feel like a child but with an IQ of 160ish.

I've been kicked out of preschool due to frustration and aggression. I've been fired 9 times from my jobs, been suspended twice, and I've quit my jobs (usually before I thought I would get fired) more then 30 times. Recently I physically attacked a co-worker because he was making fun of me and was fired. Due to all of those socially challenging situations, I had a heart attack when I was 34.

I am looking at getting an Autism support dog to help me manage unpredictable social situations but I'm unsure of how to handle this in a workplace situation. I may have to kibosh that whole idea because of my job. I have also thought about committing myself to a mental health hospital because I feel that I can no longer support myself reliably. My anxiety and depression have catapulted over the past year and I feel like I can barely hang on to my sanity.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:23 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I admire your perseverance. Most of my life I was self-employed, or just living frugally. Maybe a patchwork of gigs would let you keep choosing the more compatible ones. A service dog probably helps social situations just by its presence - there may be less to "handle" than you anticipate. My experience of institutions has been disappointing, but there may be some still functioning well and able to relate.