Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Pronoun usage
I don't recall ever using the 3rd person to refer to myself 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
I don't recall ever using the 3rd person to refer to myself 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
The only time I referred to myself in the 3rd person was because I liked the sound of it 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
The only time I referred to myself in the 3rd person was because I liked the sound of it 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
He used the 3rd person because he lost touch with himself 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
He used the 3rd person because he lost touch with himself 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
She used the 3rd person because she lost touch with herself 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
She used the 3rd person because she lost touch with herself 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

eet_1024
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2006, 7:55 pm

One of the characteristics of AS/Au is "pronoun mistakes". Those of you who experience this, is it really a mistake, confusion, or something else?

I had a few instances in high school, what I described as the 4th person. I basically talked about myself in the 3rd person, because I forgot that the person I was talking about was me.

I think one occurance when like, "...my friend's kalem's friend was...". While saying that, I was walking, and really focusing on what I was describing. After saying it, I realized it was myself I was talking about, and I wasn't conscious of the present when I was describing it. Like having tunnel vision.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 8:07 pm

I understand that some aspies demonstrate "pronoun confusion" though I'm not sure exactly what that refers to. I have been know to freely switch between referring to myself in both singular and plural. Makes perfect sense to me. I am you and you are me and we are all together. Koo-koo-ka-choo.

- Emerson

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 8:18 pm

My sentences often become convoluted, and I sometimes have problems with tenses, but I've never had any unintentional pronoun confusion as far as I know. I've referred to myself in the third person a few times but they were either to be funny or, in one case, because of an arguement I was having with someone. (Long story. The gist is someone was mad at me, and she wanted the both of us to refer to ourselves in the third person or she wouldn't talk to me. She said that that way, it was like they were talking to one another through friends. Heh.)

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 9:11 pm

Veresae wrote:
My sentences often become convoluted, and I sometimes have problems with tenses, but I've never had any unintentional pronoun confusion as far as I know.

Ditto. I tend to digress far too much both when writing and when speaking, and use FAR too many commas in long run-on sentences that make sense even though they're exhausting to read. I never get pronouns wrong, but quite often use the wrong tense, particularly when writing.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2006, 11:54 pm

My husband has done this a couple of times in the 5 yrs that I've known him. When we are in the middle of an argument, he will say "I" but mean "you", or vise versa.

geezer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2006, 4:38 am

Pronoun mistakes are not a sign of AS. In fact, the DSM-IV specifies exactly the opposite:

DSM-IV (1994). 299.80 Asperger’s Disorder
D. No clinically significant general delay in language.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2006, 4:58 am

I referred to myself in the third person when writing up experiments for Biology. (I was usually the subject.) That is what you are meant to do. I occasionally do it when talking to somebody and I didnt want them to know i was talking about myself, but both these cases are not mistakes, but quite deliberate. In fact, writing about myself in the third person for Biology was quite difficult. it felt odd, and I felt depersonalised by it.

Julie

eet_1024
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2006, 9:22 am

geezer wrote:
Pronoun mistakes are not a sign of AS. In fact, the DSM-IV specifies exactly the opposite:

DSM-IV (1994). 299.80 Asperger’s Disorder
D. No clinically significant general delay in language.

I said characteristic, not diagnostic symptom. I'm also not interested if someone started using language at a later age than most.

I'm really interested in what a person is experiencing when they unintentionally use what the listener would perceive to be the incorrect grammatical person.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2006, 1:17 pm

Quite often i will speak for both myself and the person i'm with to a third person calling us 'we'
For example; a friend will say to me and my other friend.'how are you?' and i will answer for both my friend and i,' We're fine.'
This has annoyed people in the past and it does show how much i sometimes don't remember that other people don't think like me. If i'm fine sometimes i will assume everyone else is too....forgetting that everyone is different and also that most people aren't like me!! !