Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 7:13 am

Build a string of trailer parks starting at the N. Dakota/Canadian border down to the Texas gulf coast about twenty five miles apart and no located near the center of any cities or industrial areas. The Tornadoes will go from trailer park to trailer park and do relatively little damage to houses and factories. This will also get get rid of some of the trailer trash too.

ruveyn

verbal0rchid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2011, 7:21 am

lmao, I shouldn't laugh at that but I couldn't help it!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

Well, we don't have many factories left any more.

And, I don't think that you can guarantee that tornadoes would thus not hit regular houses. You do remember what happened to Dorothy, right?

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 8:03 am

Ruvey is that one of your campaign policies for your run for the White House? :lol:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 8:07 am

This one when I was 15 got houses as well as trailers ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Palm_ ... o_outbreak

Note: The picture on the right is of the road where the big Pinto explosion happened a few years later.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 9:05 am

HA!! ! I saw the title of this thread and thought "build more trailer parks to lead tornadoes away from important buildings".

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2011, 9:43 am

cdfox7 wrote:
Ruvey is that one of your campaign policies for your run for the White House? :lol:

I have no political ambitions whatsoever. I consider politicians in the same category as pimps and whores.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:14 am

skafather84 wrote:
HA!! ! I saw the title of this thread and thought "build more trailer parks to lead tornadoes away from important buildings".

Yes.
The FDA mandates severe punishment for distributing jokes after their sell-by-date.
But there is a loophole- if there is a rare person in the crowd who hasnt yet heard the joke and still gives it a laugh.
Because of verbalOrchid's post we have to waive punishing the OP- this time!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

Actually, I think monolithic domes would be a good thing to have for people living in tornado alley. Perhaps a bit too expensive currently, but they are the coolest buildings ever and offer a lot more benefits than just protection from tornadoes. Not to sound like an advertisement, but my wife and I plan to save up to build one of these types of buildings (perhaps four domes with connecting enclosed tunnel walkways that double as walls for a courtyard.)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:46 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Actually, I think monolithic domes would be a good thing to have for people living in tornado alley. Perhaps a bit too expensive currently, but they are the coolest buildings ever and offer a lot more benefits than just protection from tornadoes. Not to sound like an advertisement, but my wife and I plan to save up to build one of these types of buildings (perhaps four domes with connecting enclosed tunnel walkways that double as walls for a courtyard.)

I have seen something like that done back in the '60s, but I think it does not catch on because furniture and pictures do not fit well where there are no flat walls.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 11:14 am

leejosepho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I have seen something like that done back in the '60s, but I think it does not catch on because furniture and pictures do not fit well where there are no flat walls.

You can have flat walls within a dome home, they're just not going to be the exterior walls. Murals and frescoes can still be made upon a curved surface. The design of one dome I'd like to build would incorporate geodesic dome structure (such as like a greenhouse) so that the windows would have about the same radius of curvature on average as the rest of the dome. I would kinda like to make a greenhouse-aviary combination so that my birds can have fresh plants to eat year round.