Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

igniz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2011, 6:54 am

This whole subsection of the forum seems to be a bit downcast. People either sharing their troubles and frustrations, asking for advice etc.
Does anyone here feel they have a healthy and/or satisfying social life? Has anyone recovered from isolation?

Personally I'm in a pretty dark time in my life right now and any stories of light after the tunnel would be great :)

TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 11:07 am

actually, im trying not to hope for something behind the tunnel. If it happens great, but dont count on it.

Look at your life right now and know that things are never going to be different, things change but life stays the same. Probably only makes sense to myself hehe.

If you can really accept yourself you are far better of then viewing all this as something horrible not meant to be happening to you.
Im autistic and thats never going to change i will always run away from birthday parties and social gatherings in fear. I have only 3 people on my mobile phone who i can call to hang out. Even though i am attractive to many of the opposite sex i will have little succesfull relationships. I want to be fine with all this, it still gets to me sometimes. Overall i feel less bad less often when i think about it. Benefit is that i can be moderately happy without any other human beings.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 9:30 pm

Although my mind will always been inherently wired as an AS mind, I feel that I have developed most of the social skills needed to be able to have success in society and in life...mostly by trial and error. I have friends of all abilities (surprisingly, I'm much more comfortable with NTs as I experience strong emotions and immense empathy) and they will always support me. I still have problems with handling my emotions, but I don't see it as a bad thing, just another opportunity to grow and change.

With that being said, I consider myself still on the spectrum, even if I would no longer qualify for an AS diagnosis.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.