Page 6 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

A thread devoted to Aspergers sense of humor is important!

Both the decades-old, and recent examples of comedy can sometimes resonate with people on the spectrum - how many people have viewed DVDs, and YouTube clips of the older comedy shows - even after hearing that such examples are largely dated?

I wanted to mentioned two other examples that brought laughs:

* The Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Daffy-Duck, etc. cartoons were both funny, and at times quite original.

* The 1970s PBS Series "The Electric Company" proved both clever, and educational.

It must be asked, "how many people feel that humor proved to be 'that salvation of sorts?'"

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

When an Aspie has a dark sense sense of humor, would that be considered a "co-morbid" condition?

Yeah, my sense of humor runs to bad puns and things I probably shouldn't laugh at...

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 1:11 pm

I feel that my sense of humor (over time) has helped "break the ice" so to speak!

An Asperger sense of humor stems for learning to entertain oneself; yet over time, we can learn to empathize, and accommodate other people.

How many people have had said experiences?

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm

Don't worry, I have Asperger's and can make people laugh easily. Laugh when watching SpongeBob, at how Octo is grumpy and snorts, Patrick is being silly or SpongeBob is just being his bubbly self and not forgetting Gary of course with his hilarious cat sounds. But can also laugh when someone hits their toe against something and starts swearing like a sailor or when I make someone jump when they don't expect me being in a room and I start talking.

Humor is something you are born with, it's your face, your eyes and I made people squirt their drinks through their nose just by looking at them all funny from out of nowhere. Cola anyone?

Had autistic friends who had a hard time laughing but I always got them going in some way, they just laugh about other things and you have to make them feel comfortable.

Often get told my energy at those moments makes people smile, laugh and bubbly. Some people might find it annoying though. I adjust per person and personality.

For someone with autism I adjusted quite well, my social skills are quite good, just don't understand my own feelings very well, don't understand what feeling happy feels like and other emotions, just don't get it, I always feel the same and just adjust. Goes automatically with me. Strange, wish I understood it better.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 12:49 pm

KestrylR wrote:
Yeah, my sense of humor runs to bad puns and things I probably shouldn't laugh at...

Sounds a lot like my sense of humor.

Any humor I like that is not a pun tends to be irony or sarcasm. The darker, the better...

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

Well, I love cartoon comedy, visual and uncanny humour.
Once I was at a science talk and after a woman announced someone had lost a guide dog.
She then said they had no leads, I had to control my laughter in the audience. :roll:

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 8:57 pm

aspiesavant wrote:
KestrylR wrote:

Sounds a lot like my sense of humor.

Any humor I like that is not a pun tends to be irony or sarcasm. The darker, the better...

Antigone2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2018, 7:25 am

My humor seems to be quite different from the other people's. I never find TV shows and comedys funny, they rather make me sad because I have to think to myself: ''Is this really how normal people perceive friendship, love,...''
I really enjoy wordplays, when some random words that don't make any sence are included in a sentence, when someone misspells a word or autocorrect fails.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

My humor generally makes no sense whatsoever and is often dark humor xD

F84.9
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2018, 10:30 am

I can be punny :D

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 9:01 pm

Anybody been reminded not to get too facetious?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 9:24 pm

aspiesavant wrote:

Morrissey, no?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 4:48 am

Magna wrote:
aspiesavant wrote:

Morrissey, no?

Never heard of Charlie Brown, from the "Peanuts" comic strip?

LONG predates Morrissey, and the Smiths by decades.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm

5 yrs ago , RIP :(

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 2:05 am

JustFoundHere wrote:

Not verbally, but it has probably happened to some extent.

I am quite fond of humour, because comedians can tell more truth than most others, and because getting a laugh is one of the few ways I can feel I have connected with people.
Life is either a comedy or a tragedy, so I'd rather see the funny side.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 6:36 am

Dear_one wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

Not verbally, but it has probably happened to some extent.

I am quite fond of humour, because comedians can tell more truth than most others, and because getting a laugh is one of the few ways I can feel I have connected with people.
Life is either a comedy or a tragedy, so I'd rather see the funny side.

Definitely been told to not be so facetious before: I assume that’s the result of social boundary issues and unwritten rules of hierarchy in groups :P don’t care, I amuse myself :P

And yes: I can make NTs laugh with recognition when I poke at the absurdities of existence... provided I don’t go too dark with it. 8O :lol: