Best List of Symptoms of AS I've Seen Online

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2011, 12:47 am

Wow! This list is very accurate. I fit most of these symptoms, but there were a few I wasn't sure about.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:04 am

I'm bored, so I'm going to go through this list.

CentralFLM wrote:
Cognitive Characteristics?of Asperger’s Syndrome:

Susceptibility to distraction - sometimes

Difficulty in expressing emotions - oh, absolutely

Resistance to or failure to respond to talk therapy - totally

Mental shutdown response to conflicting demands and multi-tasking - multitasking gives my mind a blue screen

Generalized confusion during periods of stress - hmm... I never really thought about this

Low understanding of the reciprocal rules of conversation: interrupting, dominating, minimum participation, difficult in shifting topics, problem with initiating or terminating conversation, subject perseveration - sorta. This is one of those things that fluctuates greatly. Sometimes I can have a conversation perfectly. Other times I couldn't do it even if my life depended upon it.

Insensitivity to the non-verbal cues of others (stance, posture, facial expressions) - Sometimes. I pick up on them if they're obvious, but if they aren't or if the person is making an effort to mask them, screw it.

Perseveration best characterized by the term “bulldog tenacity” - heck yeah

Literal interpretation of instructions (failure to read between the lines) - not always, but if a literal interpretation is possible, I usually go with that and get the meaning wrong.

Interpreting words and phrases literally (problem with colloquialisms, cliches, neologism, turns of phrase, common humorous expressions) - only if I haven't heard it before. Once I know that something is a metaphor, I can create a mental note to override the interpretation.

Preference for visually oriented instruction and training - yup

Dependence on step-by-step learning procedures (disorientation occurs when a step is assumed, deleted, or otherwise overlooked in instruction) - I hate it when steps are left out or assumed. I don't like to make assumptions.

Difficulty in generalizing - no, not really.

Preference for repetitive, often simple routines - It's been pointed out to me several times, and it somehow bothers people. Whatever, I like consistency.

Difficulty in understanding rules for games of social entertainment - I don't even play the game.

Missing or misconstruing others’ agendas, priorities, preferences - I can't say that I've ever even tried to analyze other people's behavior for their agendas and priorities. I guess I fail at this.

Impulsiveness - I'm as impulsive as a good chess player.

Compelling need to finish one task completely before starting another - yeah, I guess so, but I've never noticed it to any sort of extreme.

Rigid adherence to rules and routines - are these repeating?

Difficulty in interpreting meaning to others’ activities; difficulty in drawing relationships between an activity or event and ideas - huh?

Exquisite attention to detail, principally visual, or details which can be visualized (”Thinking in Pictures”) or cognitive details (often those learned by rote) - I guess, but this definitely isn't my strongest trait by any means.

Concrete thinking - more often than not, yes.

Distractibility due to focus on external or internal sensations, thoughts, and/or sensory input (appearing to be in a world of one’s own or day-dreaming) - yup.

Difficulty in assessing relative importance of details (an aspect o the trees/forest problem) - not sure about this.

Poor judgment of when a task is finished (often attributable to perfectionism or an apparent unwillingness to follow differential standards for quality) - not always, but this is due to laziness. :lol:

Difficulty in imagining others’ thoughts in a similar or identical event or circumstance that are different from one’s own (”Theory of Mind” issues) - uuughh... ok.

Difficulty with organizing and sequencing (planning and execution; successful performance of tasks in a logical, functional order) - absolutely not.

Difficulty in assessing cause and effect relationships (behaviors and consequences) - not really.

An apparent lack of “common sense” - I swear I have a thousand times the amount of common sense as the average person.

Relaxation techniques and developing recreational “release” interest may require formal instruction - yeah, sure.

Rage, tantrum, shutdown, self-isolating reactions appearing “out of nowhere” - I don't think so, but people that know me might disagree.

Substantial hidden self-anger, anger towards others, and resentment - not always. Not usually.

Difficulty in estimating time to complete tasks - I'm usually good with time management. Very good. It's all part of the rigidity.

Difficulty in learning self-monitoring techniques - meh, somewhat.

Disinclination to produce expected results in an orthodox manner - I'm not sure.

Psychometric testing shows great deviance between verbal and performance results - yup, that's me.

Extreme reaction to changes in routine, surroundings, people - not exactly extreme, but I dislike it greatly.

Stilted, pedantic conversational style (”The Professor”) - I apologize, but I have been unable to find sufficient data regarding this specific symptom. Previous records indicate that it is indeed a possibility.

Social Characteristics?of Asperger’s Syndrome:

Difficulty in accepting criticism or correction - WHAT!?!? I'm wrong? Screw you guys, I can't be wrong.

Difficulty in offering correction or criticism without appearing harsh, pedantic or insensitive - I don't even know how to do this in theory, much less practice.

Difficulty in perceiving and applying unwritten social rules or protocols - If they aren't written down, they can't possibly be important anyway. Why should I even bother to follow them?

“Immature” manners - yup.

Failure to distinguish between private and public personal care habits: i.e., brushing, public attention to skin problems, nose picking, teeth picking, ear canal cleaning, clothing arrangement - I was going to say no, but now that I think about it, maybe just a little bit... 8O

Lack of?trust in others - I don't have issues with trust, but only because I'm very systematic with it. It's a nice system, but I should probably create a separate thread to explain it.

Shyness - I'm 99.8% shy, and 0.2% outgoing.

Low or no conversational participation in group meetings or conferences - I'm either doing all the talking or none of it, there is no middle ground in these sorts of situations.

Constant anxiety about performance and acceptance, despite recognition and commendation - sometimes.

Scrupulous honesty, often expressed in an apparently disarming or inappropriate manner or setting - sometimes.

Bluntness in emotional expression - this is one of my strongest aspie traits.

“Flat affect” - isn't this the same thing as above?

Discomfort manipulating or “playing games” with others - totally.

Unmodulated reaction in being manipulated, patronized, or “handled” by others - sorta.

Low to medium level of paranoia - once again, sorta.

Low to no apparent sense of humor; bizarre sense of humor (often stemming from a “private” internal thread of humor being inserted in public conversation without preparation or warming others up to the reason for the “punchline”) - when I make the same joke a hundred times and nobody laughs until the hundredth time, I know that nobody listens to me. I actually do have humor, it's just not as obvious.

Difficulty with reciprocal displays of pleasantries and greetings - "hello... hey, why don't you ever say hi to me?" Well, I just don't know how to say it. I know it shouldn't be hard, but it seriously is.

Problems expressing empathy or comfort to/with others: sadness, condolence, congratulations, etc. - if it isn't scripted, then forget about it.

Pouting,, ruminating, fixating on bad experiences with people or events for an inordinate length of time - yes, and it drives me nuts. Every fricking day.

Difficulty with adopting a social mask to obscure real feelings, moods, reactions - it's not difficult. It's flat out impossible.

Using social masks inappropriately (you are “xv” while everyone else is ????) - what?

Abrupt and strong expression of likes and dislikes - not always.

Rigid adherence to rules and social conventions where flexibility is desirable - I guess so.

Apparent absence of relaxation, recreational, or “time out” activities - apparently? Yes. Realistically? No.

“Serious” all the time - I've been called a clone of Jamie Hyneman before, if that means anything.

Known for single-mindedness - Only with certain little things. That's more OCD like though.

Flash temper - kinda.

Tantrums - not very often.

Excessive talk - I'm usually quiet, but if I have something to say, I'm going to make a whole speech. Maybe even two speeches, the second to explain why I had to make the first speech, considering that it's always unexpected.

Difficulty in forming friendships and intimate relationships; difficulty in distinguishing between acquaintance and friendship - I haven't made a new friend since I was around 12. I have a few acquaintances though.

Social isolation and intense concern for privacy - yup.

Limited clothing preference; discomfort with formal attire or uniforms - uniforms = hell.

Preference for bland or bare environments in living arrangements - kinda.

Difficulty judging others’ personal space - I had problems with this when I was younger, but not anymore.

Limited by intensely pursued interests - not limited, but gifted with intense interests.

Often perceived as “being in their own world” - last time someone told me that was when I was 14. That was 3 years ago.

Work Characteristics of Asperger’s Syndrome:

Many of the manifestations found in the categories above can immediately translate into work behaviors or preferences. Here are some additional ones:

Difficulty with “teamwork” - either I do all the work or you do; teamwork is a nice concept on paper, but it never works out.

Deliberate withholding of peak performance due to belief that one’s best efforts may remain unrecognized, unrewarded, or appropriated by others - nope

Intense pride in expertise or performance, often perceived by others as “flouting behavior” - *whistling* huh? Did you hear something?

Sarcasm, negativism, criticism - what? Sarcasm? I never use that.

Difficulty in accepting compliments, often responding with quizzical or self-deprecatory language - if people were honest I would know that they mean it.

Tendency to “lose it” during sensory overload, multitask demands, or when contradictory and confusing priorities have been set - illogical requests lead to jerkface mode: [ON] OFF

Difficult in starting project - I'm usually an anti-procrastinator

Discomfort with competition, out of scale reactions to losing - Unfortunately, yes. I can be extremely childish with this at times.

Low motivation to perform tasks of no immediate personal interest - who does actually perform tasks that they're not interested in?

Oversight or forgetting of tasks without formal reminders such as lists or schedules - no schedule? Who could think of such a thing? How can anybody function at all?

Great concern about order and appearance of personal work area - absolutely.

Slow performance - processing... please wait...

Perfectionism - sometimes. It really bothers me to see something less than perfect.

Difficult with unstructured time - is it any wonder why I'm rigid with my routines?

Reluctance to ask for help or seek comfort - I insist on doing things myself. Help is for weaklings.

Excessive questions - I try not to.

Low sensitivity to risks in the environment to self and/or others - somewhat.

Difficulty with writing and reports - I'm good at math and science, not writing.

Reliance on internal speech process to “talk” oneself through a task or procedure - wait, you mean this isn't "normal?"

Stress, frustration and anger reaction to interruptions - every time I'm interrupted I receive +35 agitation points. Double that if I'm doing something that I really enjoy.

Difficulty in negotiating either in conflict situations or as a self-advocate - I'm not a diplomat by any means. A 5 year old could do better.

Ver low level of assertiveness - very low isn't even low enough to describe me.

Reluctance to accept positions of authority or supervision - I'm either in total authority, or I have no authority at all. There is no middle ground.

Strong desire to coach or mentor newcomers - actually, yes.

Difficulty in handling relationships with authority figures - unfortunately.

Often viewed as vulnerable or less able to resist harassment and badgering by others - most definitely.

Punctual and conscientious - this applies to me.

Avoids socializing, “hanging out,” or small talk on and off the job - I avoid it like the plague.

Physical Manifestations of Asperger’s Syndrome:

Strong sensory sensitivities: touch and tactile sensations, sounds, lighting and colors, odors, taste - what I would consider to be mildly strong.

Clumsiness - totally.

Balance difficulties - yup.

Difficulty in judging distances, height, depth - sometimes.

Difficulty in recognizing others’ faces (prosopagnosia) - even my own mother.

Stims (self-stimulatory behavior serving to reduce anxiety, stress, or to express pleasure) - yes.

Self-injurious or disfiguring behaviors - no.

Nail-biting - never did this.

Unusual gait, stance, posture - it's noticeable from a mile away.

Gross or fine motor coordination problems - gross, I have no problems with fine.

Low apparent sexual interest - yup.

Depression - no.

Anxiety - somewhat.

Sleep difficulties - sometimes.

Verbosity - nope.

Difficulty expressing anger (excessive or “bottled up”) - yup, totally.

Flat or monotone vocal expression; limited range of inflection - sorta.

Difficulty with initiating or maintaining eye contact - yes.

Elevated voice volume during periods of stress and frustration - this too.

Strong food preferences and aversions - yup.

Unusual and rigidly adhered to eating behaviors - kinda.

Bad or unusual personal hygiene - I haven't shaved in two weeks, and I didn't take a shower today.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:05 am

Quote:
Psychometric testing shows great deviance between verbal and performance results

I'm curious: What counts as a "great" or "significant" difference between verbal and performance scores? If anybody knows the answer and can explain it in terms of "percentiles" instead of "standard deviations" I would be very happy....I understand percentiles but I can't figure out what standard deviations are.

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2011, 5:17 am

animalcrackers wrote:
Quote:
Psychometric testing shows great deviance between verbal and performance results

I'm curious: What counts as a "great" or "significant" difference between verbal and performance scores? If anybody knows the answer and can explain it in terms of "percentiles" instead of "standard deviations" I would be very happy....I understand percentiles but I can't figure out what standard deviations are.

I think it depends on the person and what you're evaluating, but I can make up an example if you'd like. I scored in the 95th-99th percentile on a variety of verbal tests, and then scored 48th-82nd in the nonverbal assessment of the same traits. Not only is my percentile very much lower the second time around, but the spread is much greater.

I believe the relevant thing is that there is some sort of cognitive disconnect between observing something and converting it into something verbal so it can be properly encoded.

But now, looking back on what I have written, I feel I understand the answer to your question less than when I started. So take that as you will.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 3:40 am

I counted all the ones I checked and I got about 50%. Maybe I'm not as aspie as I thought. :) Although I didn't understand all of them. Honestly other than the first category the other ones are hard to decide for someone who's not very self-aware. Like most other online tests, they assume you know yourself well, have worked jobs, have some friends and family to give you feedback.

As for me, until a couple years ago I thought I was talkative and perfectly normal at social situations. I had no idea that I was often perceived rude, aloof or indifferent. I did not notice that I talked a bit too much, stood a bit too close, touched people without asking first, interrupted often, and our conversations are random and didn't "flow". I remember being so surprised when DH told me some people were visibly annoyed when I interrupted their talking. I never noticed anything. :D Sometimes I still can't believe all these are real and there are so many people in the same boat.

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 7:04 pm

Before being diagnosed I always wondered as a kid why I would think things were funny in my own mind, while other's didn't get it. I always thought something was wrong with me. Even that symptom is in this list. Very thorough.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2012, 9:03 pm

I could say yes to just about all of the symptoms. I agree it is a very good list of the real symptoms of AS.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

I bolded all the ones I see in myself...

Cognitive Characteristics?of Asperger’s Syndrome:
Susceptibility to distraction
Difficulty in expressing emotions [more like difficulty in NOT expressing emotions]
Resistance to or failure to respond to talk therapy
Mental shutdown response to conflicting demands and multi-tasking
Generalized confusion during periods of stress
Low understanding of the reciprocal rules of conversation: interrupting, dominating, minimum participation, difficult in shifting topics, problem with initiating or terminating conversation, subject perseveration
Insensitivity to the non-verbal cues of others (stance, posture, facial expressions)
Perseveration best characterized by the term “bulldog tenacity”
Literal interpretation of instructions (failure to read between the lines)
Interpreting words and phrases literally (problem with colloquialisms, cliches, neologism, turns of phrase, common humorous expressions)
Preference for visually oriented instruction and training
Dependence on step-by-step learning procedures (disorientation occurs when a step is assumed, deleted, or otherwise overlooked in instruction) [well if it's imposed by another person, I hate having to follow their steps. but yeah I set up my own routines that way]
Difficulty in generalizing [what does this mean?]
Preference for repetitive, often simple routines
Difficulty in understanding rules for games of social entertainment
Missing or misconstruing others’ agendas, priorities, preferences
Impulsiveness
Compelling need to finish one task completely before starting another
Rigid adherence to rules and routines
Difficulty in interpreting meaning to others’ activities; difficulty in drawing relationships between an activity or event and ideas [not sure]
Exquisite attention to detail, principally visual, or details which can be visualized (”Thinking in Pictures”) or cognitive details (often those learned by rote)
Concrete thinking [I don't know what this means(?)]
Distractibility due to focus on external or internal sensations, thoughts, and/or sensory input (appearing to be in a world of one’s own or day-dreaming)
Difficulty in assessing relative importance of details (an aspect o the trees/forest problem)
Poor judgment of when a task is finished (often attributable to perfectionism or an apparent unwillingness to follow differential standards for quality)
Difficulty in imagining others’ thoughts in a similar or identical event or circumstance that are different from one’s own (”Theory of Mind” issues)
Difficulty with organizing and sequencing (planning and execution; successful performance of tasks in a logical, functional order)
Difficulty in assessing cause and effect relationships (behaviors and consequences)
An apparent lack of “common sense”
Relaxation techniques and developing recreational “release” interest may require formal instruction
Rage, tantrum, shutdown, self-isolating reactions appearing “out of nowhere” [yes but I don't think they appear "out of nowhere", except to other people who don't understand the cause]
Substantial hidden self-anger, anger towards others, and resentment
Difficulty in estimating time to complete tasks [HUGE problem for me, especially in jobs]
Difficulty in learning self-monitoring techniques [don't know]
Disinclination to produce expected results in an orthodox manner
Extreme reaction to changes in routine, surroundings, people
Stilted, pedantic conversational style (”The Professor”)

Social Characteristics?of Asperger’s Syndrome:
Difficulty in accepting criticism or correction
Difficulty in offering correction or criticism without appearing harsh, pedantic or insensitive
Difficulty in perceiving and applying unwritten social rules or protocols
“Immature” manners
Failure to distinguish between private and public personal care habits: i.e., brushing, public attention to skin problems, nose picking, teeth picking, ear canal cleaning, clothing arrangement [I have to constantly remind myself not to touch my breasts in public, does that count?]
Lack of?trust in others
Shyness
Low or no conversational participation in group meetings or conferences
Constant anxiety about performance and acceptance, despite recognition and commendation
Scrupulous honesty, often expressed in an apparently disarming or inappropriate manner or setting
Bluntness in emotional expression
“Flat affect”
Discomfort manipulating or “playing games” with others
Unmodulated reaction in being manipulated, patronized, or “handled” by others
Low to medium level of paranoia
Low to no apparent sense of humor; bizarre sense of humor (often stemming from a “private” internal thread of humor being inserted in public conversation without preparation or warming others up to the reason for the “punchline”)
Difficulty with reciprocal displays of pleasantries and greetings
Problems expressing empathy or comfort to/with others: sadness, condolence, congratulations, etc.
Pouting,, ruminating, fixating on bad experiences with people or events for an inordinate length of time
Difficulty with adopting a social mask to obscure real feelings, moods, reactions [I can do it now but took until mid-20s to learn this]
Using social masks inappropriately (you are “xv” while everyone else is ????)
Abrupt and strong expression of likes and dislikes
Rigid adherence to rules and social conventions where flexibility is desirable
Apparent absence of relaxation, recreational, or “time out” activities
“Serious” all the time
Known for single-mindedness
Flash temper
Tantrums
Excessive talk [but only with people who know me very well]
Difficulty in forming friendships and intimate relationships; difficulty in distinguishing between acquaintance and friendship
Social isolation and intense concern for privacy
Limited clothing preference; discomfort with formal attire or uniforms
Preference for bland or bare environments in living arrangements [no, I am the complete opposite, need to have lots of things around me]
Difficulty judging others’ personal space [no, other people are the ones getting in MY space]
Limited by intensely pursued interests
Often perceived as “being in their own world”

Work Characteristics of Asperger’s Syndrome:
Difficulty with “teamwork”
Deliberate withholding of peak performance due to belief that one’s best efforts may remain unrecognized, unrewarded, or appropriated by others
Intense pride in expertise or performance, often perceived by others as “flouting behavior”
Sarcasm, negativism, criticism
Difficulty in accepting compliments, often responding with quizzical or self-deprecatory language
Tendency to “lose it” during sensory overload, multitask demands, or when contradictory and confusing priorities have been set
Difficult in starting project
Discomfort with competition, out of scale reactions to losing
Low motivation to perform tasks of no immediate personal interest
Oversight or forgetting of tasks without formal reminders such as lists or schedules
Great concern about order and appearance of personal work area
Slow performance [in some situations, in others I work much faster than others around me which also causes problems]
Perfectionism
Difficult with unstructured time [difficulty with time, structured or unstructured]
Reluctance to ask for help or seek comfort
Excessive questions
Low sensitivity to risks in the environment to self and/or others
Difficulty with writing and reports
Reliance on internal speech process to “talk” oneself through a task or procedure [total dependence on this, and I can't work while someone else is talking to me because it disrupts my self-talk]
Stress, frustration and anger reaction to interruptions
Difficulty in negotiating either in conflict situations or as a self-advocate
Ver low level of assertiveness
Reluctance to accept positions of authority or supervision
Strong desire to coach or mentor newcomers [absolutely not, I would rather avoid this]
Difficulty in handling relationships with authority figures
Often viewed as vulnerable or less able to resist harassment and badgering by others
Punctual and conscientious [no I tend to be late]
Avoids socializing, “hanging out,” or small talk on and off the job

Physical Manifestations of Asperger’s Syndrome:
Strong sensory sensitivities: touch and tactile sensations, sounds, lighting and colors, odors, taste
Clumsiness
Balance difficulties
Difficulty in judging distances, height, depth
Difficulty in recognizing others’ faces (prosopagnosia)
Stims (self-stimulatory behavior serving to reduce anxiety, stress, or to express pleasure)
Self-injurious or disfiguring behaviors
Nail-biting
Unusual gait, stance, posture
Gross or fine motor coordination problems
Low apparent sexual interest [don't know, I have a very strong sex drive, yet I've been celibate for years]
Depression
Anxiety
Sleep difficulties
Verbosity
Difficulty expressing anger (excessive or “bottled up”)
Flat or monotone vocal expression; limited range of inflection [not at all]
Difficulty with initiating or maintaining eye contact
Elevated voice volume during periods of stress and frustration
Strong food preferences and aversions
Unusual and rigidly adhered to eating behaviors
Bad or unusual personal hygiene

Last edited by dianthus on 04 Feb 2012, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:24 am

Touche'!

werewolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

Aimless wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:
Given the amount of pseudoscience on the rest of the page, I would consider it a WEAK! source.

Be specific, please.

I accidentally noticed, that the first heading in this text links to http://www.autism-world.com/index.php/2 ... teristics/ I do not have words to describe this nonsens, that site in general must be a bs to let something like that be published.

Though the list we are discussing here might be a bit better quality.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Trainbuff wrote:
I looked though the list several times and I didn't see staring on there. :(

It would be nice if that particular negative trait was more well known by NT's, rather than jumping to the conclusion that a Aspie that stares (At people to be specific).... insert random cruel name, or snide remark under their breath.

I didn't see difficulty with regulating eye contact at all, unless I missed it 3 times. Staring would certainly fall under that. People react to staring because it makes them feel threatened.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:05 pm

You know, I keep hoping for a list one day that COULD **NOT** be my BIOGRAPHY.
This one, I have about 80% of these traits.
Oh well, I already knew.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

I was going to say "NO" to food aversions when a childhood memory surfaced.
I could (sometimes still) cannot eat stuff with Mayo on them. Made me gag. Oh, and for years I wouldn't eat the crust on my sandwiches Mom made.
There were a few others. Mostly history now, but the Mayo thing remains. YUCK!

Matt