Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 9:50 am

About an hour ago, one of my Facebook friends made a status update about how he had made "brownies," and I commented asking if I could have some because I thought that he had literally made brownies. He then responded saying I could have some only if he could watch my reaction to it. At first I thought that maybe he had spiked them or something. Then, I realized that he was using the term "brownies" as a metaphor for sh*t. I felt like such an idiot that I deleted my comment. Whoever read it probably thinks I'm an idiot now.

Does anyone have any similar stories about how you took metaphors seriously and embarrassed yourself because of it?

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

I didn't understand what the problem was untill you mentioned that he meant sh*t :roll:

I thought "sensory diet" was an actual diet involving food

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:02 am

You don't have to be embarrassed! It's facebook. You can turn this sort of thing into a joke, for the next time it could happen. You could be like, "Yeah, ok" or "lol, no" or something like that. I wouldn't have gotten that, probably, as there isn't much context.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:05 am

Here's what he originally wrote:

Quote:
just made a pan of very very special brownies. i've never been as proud of myself as i am right now :D :D :D

The first person to comment on it seemed to have gotten the joke. That's why I was so embarrassed for what I posted.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:07 am

If it helps when you said he had made brownies I thought it meant cakes too! I was actually wondering what was wrong was asking if you could have some brownies until I had finished reading the whole paragraph.

I used to have a boyfriend who would always say "hi stinky you smell" and I would respond by sniffing my armpit and saying "no I don't!". It took me several months to realise he was teasing and even then he eventually had to say "no, I'm teasing you".

Ohhhhhhhh lol *ahem*

3 weeks later I came up with the retort skunk butt (yes it took me that long) because he had a problem digesting stuffing so after that every time we met it became a ritual of greeting each other with "hi stinky"..."hi skunk butt". Yes he was in his 40's and I was in my early 30s at the time lol.

Also I don't know if this counts as taking things literally but at school I was bullied and part of that was them telling me I was fat and ugly. For over 15 years afterwards I actually believed the reason that people rejected me was because I was not pretty enough or not thin enough. Eventually I realised there were probably other factors and that I may have taken too much notice of what was actually said at the time.

At first though I did not realise they were bullying me..I would try and befriend them. I thought that the bullying they were doing was some sort of strange social game thing until it got really vicious, a pattern started to emerge and they basically told me to go away (although not quite so politely).

I have also been known to take the odd joke literally and on hearing what the person was saying say "that really happened?" after which they would inform me that no, actually they were making a joke lol. Ok then lol.

Last edited by bumble on 23 Apr 2011, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:07 am

actually..maybe he isn't talking about sh8t, maybe he's talking about pot brownies: brownies with hash in them, brownies are commonly used like that.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:12 am

I'd be more embarrassed by posting messages on Facebook about my bowel movements, than by misinterpreting a metaphor.

Is it socially acceptable to announce that you've just had a sh*t???

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:13 am

Descartes wrote:
I commented asking if I could have some because I thought that he had literally made brownies. He then responded saying I could have some only if he could watch my reaction to it.

With a wink to him, tell him you will gladly allow that right after he has first allowed you to observe his very own "taste test" of his "creation"!

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:15 am

You would be surprised at what people will post online!

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:31 am

Being an aspie I also have a literal mind too-one time someone said "boy you have a lot of pens-can I borrow one? and I handed him a pen and he was jus joking because I carry a lot of pens and I though he really needed a pen.About the brownies-I would have done and thought the same thing and probably asked how hard they were to make and could I get the recipe.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

Descartes wrote:
About an hour ago, one of my Facebook friends made a status update about how he had made "brownies," and I commented asking if I could have some because I thought that he had literally made brownies. He then responded saying I could have some only if he could watch my reaction to it. At first I thought that maybe he had spiked them or something. Then, I realized that he was using the term "brownies" as a metaphor for sh*t. I felt like such an idiot that I deleted my comment. Whoever read it probably thinks I'm an idiot now.

Does anyone have any similar stories about how you took metaphors seriously and embarrassed yourself because of it?

If its any comfort, I would have thought and done exactly the same.

Someone posting about their 'bathroom habbits' on-line would not have even occurred to me.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

The idea that he was talking about anything other than food wouldn't have occurred to me either. I would've thought they were spiked, at most. But they'd still be, y'know, brownies! Not anything else.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2011, 11:46 am

That sounded pretty grotesque and immature to me!
Like everyone else, I would've thought real brownies were meant! Talking about private things like that on the internet??!
YUCK!!

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

Descartes wrote:
Here's what he originally wrote:

Quote:
just made a pan of very very special brownies. i've never been as proud of myself as i am right now :D :D :D

The first person to comment on it seemed to have gotten the joke. That's why I was so embarrassed for what I posted.

I would have assumed he meant either something out of the ordinary, say brownies with nuts and bits of toffee in them, and they came out excellent, or maybe that he meant pot brownies or the like.

If he did instead make such a public fuss about how he just emptied his intestines, I can only wonder if he's just figured out toilet training. Otherwise, why would he be so proud? We all do it, so its nothing to boast about or announce publicly.

If I knew both of you on Facebook, and I'd read both comments and (eventually) figured out what he meant, he'd be the one I'd be looking oddly at after that. Of course, I'm not neurotypical, but it is posts like this one which make me just as pleased not to be.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Ergop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2011, 1:09 pm

I think he's talking about pot brownies. If not... then his post doesn't make sense. In that case, don't feel stupid, it was an honest mistake anyone could've made.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

Rule #1) If something could possibly be a reference to something inappropriate, always assume it is.

^^ I learned that 5 years ago. When I read the word brownies the first thing that came to my mind was in fact fecal matter.