Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 8:58 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I should have been born 10 years later and further down South where it's more affluent.
Basically I want my twenties back, and I want to be in a position where I didn't have to suffer my twenties.

I was born in London. my mum shoulda stayed there:(

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:46 pm

My reference was to an episode of the Simpsons where Lisa has to get braces, but does not want to. So Dr. Hibbert shows her the Big Book of British Smiles to convince here to get braces.

chrissyrun wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Personally I don't believe in the Rapture or those end times stories. Especially if it encourages not thinking to the future- I think it was Martin Luther who wrote 'I live like tomorrow is the last day, but I still plant apple trees' or something like that. The likelihood that we encounter alien organisms is small though. I have more in mind that we take Earth organisms and seed them elsewhere, and work to make more Earths. Likely if we find planets that already have life, we won't be compatible with them at all, and will have to look elsewhere. And I also wouldn't want to disturb their natural progression.

There are planets that are ripe for this process (terraforming) Mars being one of them. There are close to 2,000 planets just in the nearby neighborhood that we have discovered (1,500 just in the past year!) and they estimate that there could be upwards of a billion habitable planets out there (habitable meaning they don't have life but could host our ecology). There is also a good chance that there is other life out there, but the galaxy is so big (100,000 light years across) that we may never encounter them.

At most I expect we'll find alien bacteria or plants, or maybe primitive animals (non-sentient) life- on planets where we find these, I strongly suspect we'll leave them alone and just study them. But there is something called the Drake Equation that estimates there could be as many as 10,000 civilizations in our galaxy alone. That still leaves a lot of room for us all to not get in each others way, as the galaxy has billions upon billions of solar systems

Just because they think of the rapture means that people stop thinking about the future. In fact, wouldn't it make people what to make the most of the time that they have left. But I see what you are saying how it could impact science. I agree with the Martain Luther King quote. Seriously dude, you need to read out of the silent planet, it discusses those sort of things. I don't know that much about astronomy, so I am not going to try and fight it out on that, but I really want you to think about all the problems that earth has, and how we could overcome those with other planets.

Descartes wrote:
I often feel I should have been born in more liberal, socially-advanced areas of the world, such as the northeast region of the United States or western Europe.

Hey, texas isn't that bad of a place to live in the US! My cousins live there! At least you don't live in AZ though.

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
Six freaking feet.

That isn;t that tall. I know guys who are 6'2" and still aren't the tallest ones.
Anyways, I'm 5'7", so you are only 5 inches taller than me....that's not that much.

PM wrote:

Preferably somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon line. If I was born In the northern part of the US , I would not have to deal with rednecks, in-your-face Christians, or the heat.

Interesting. So you are liberal I presume (following the lines of that u=you hate "in-your-face-christians" and rednecks). Also, I have to deal with the heat, that's why I am going to a different state for college (yay!)

nick007 wrote:
should of been born centuries in the future when we have technology that can treat or cure my disabilities. Or I should of been born on the planet Vulcan because they the3y are direct & not social

And the most creative response goes to....
Don't we all wish that we weren't born with AS?

billybud21 wrote:
Yes, they do have lovely hats, but remember the Big Book of British Smiles. Wear hats where you are at, you will be happier.

HUH? Idk what you are talking about.

Indy wrote:
It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue.
Stephen Fry

That is one of the most awesome quotes ever. :)

Subotai wrote:
I should've been born in the late middle ages into the high nobility.

Interesting. But what if you got sick or caught the plague?

Fudo wrote:
i was born.. yes, i definitely should've been born

Should you have? Jk, you should've.....unfortunately it didn't happen....bye bye. :wink:

Esther wrote:
I should have been born in Montreal, Canada 22 years ago

Vigilans wrote:
aww I`m still yours forever, love

You 2 are adorable. Awwwwwwwwwww. Esther = :pr: :heart: :pl:= Vigilans

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 10:26 pm

btw @ Billybud21

you don't have to quote the whole thing.
Just copy and paste, then put [quote= " name " ] (without the spaces)

and then [/quote]

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 11:16 pm

Thanks for your advice. Anything to cut down on space and clutter is a good thing. :D

chrissyrun wrote:
btw @ Billybud21

you don't have to quote the whole thing.
Just copy and paste, then put [quote= " name " ] (without the spaces)

and then
[/quote]

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 11:28 pm

I should've been born in England, because I am a self-proclaimed Anglophile.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 3:47 am

chrissyrun wrote:
Subotai wrote:
I should've been born in the late middle ages into the high nobility.

Interesting. But what if you got sick or caught the plague?

In reality I'm sure actually being born in those times would suck.
The current times we're living in are actually one of the most exciting and revolutionary points in history since the Industrial Age. We are witnessing the birth of the Internet Age. Yay for being born in the dawn of the Internet Age! :cheers:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 7:08 am

I should have been born in London, because I speak with a Cockney accent.