Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2011, 9:09 pm

I took the whole family off gluten in mid-January. My 9yo son was the first to notice a difference by mid-March. I was surprised as some accounts say it can take 6 months to see a diff. I should have let him describe the change but I asked if noticed being more calm or more clear-thinking. He said both. Lately I noticed that he accepts correction far better than he ever had. Note that he had never had any digestive problems: constipation or loose stools.

He was already not eating much dairy due to congestion. In addition, I stopped using soy products.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:22 am

DoriansMom wrote:
I am sure this topic has been talked about over and over again. But I was wondering if there is any truth to the GF/CF diet and if people who try it really do see results.
We have seen huge results in just eliminating sugar and wonder if going farther is worth the effort or not.

Bottom line. clinical trials provide no evidence of diet moderating autism traits.

Of course we parents will try changing our kids diet anyway as long as it's not harmful.

Our experience is no change from GF/CF diet, but fatty acid supplements such as fish oil and omega 3 really did improve moderate her behavioral issues. Recently peer reviewed articles have come out that support fish oil for autistic kids the way parents give vitamin C to prevent colds in kids.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:26 am

DoriansMom wrote:
We have seen huge results in just eliminating sugar and wonder if going farther is worth the effort or not.

During the phase my daughter was on fatty acid supplements she started eating more sugar (previously she was very fussy). Sugar has had no ill-effect.

If you did notice a improvement in your child by dropping sugar levels then perhaps this could be moderation of another unrelated symptom such as hyperactivity?

DoriansMom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2011, 8:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
DoriansMom wrote:

During the phase my daughter was on fatty acid supplements she started eating more sugar (previously she was very fussy). Sugar has had no ill-effect.

If you did notice a improvement in your child by dropping sugar levels then perhaps this could be moderation of another unrelated symptom such as hyperactivity?

We did this last year when he was in Kindergarten and he was suffering from a lot of depression and anxiety, his hyperactivity levels have never really changed, he has always had so much energy.

I honestly think everyone would be better off with no refined sugars in their diet. I have in the past taken sugar out of my own diet and felt amazing for doing it. Food is a very powderfull thing and even if we don't have sensativities to certian foods our bodies do react to things like sugar and gluten in a negative way.

Bauhauswife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2011, 7:26 pm

DoriansMom wrote:

I honestly think everyone would be better off with no refined sugars in their diet.

As I'm reading your post, there's an ad for Three Musketeers bars below it. :lol:

I don't know if could bring myself to eliminate all the sugar from my diet. I have a mad sweet tooth, especially baked goods and ice cream.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 8:26 pm

DoriansMom wrote:
I honestly think everyone would be better off with no refined sugars in their diet. I have in the past taken sugar out of my own diet and felt amazing for doing it. Food is a very powderfull thing and even if we don't have sensativities to certian foods our bodies do react to things like sugar and gluten in a negative way.

Agreed. However as the previous poster mentioned it's not likely to happen. By the way, unless you have Coeliacs disease-Gluten is not dangerous.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 8:28 pm

Bauhauswife wrote:
As I'm reading your post, there's an ad for Three Musketeers bars below it. :lol:

:lol:
I've never come across "three Musketeers" in Australia, is it like "Milky Way"?

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 8:42 pm

It's like a Milky Way without the caramel. There's ads on this page? Thank you Fire Fox.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 11:14 pm

Washi wrote:
It's like a Milky Way without the caramel. There's ads on this page? Thank you Fire Fox.

Really! I've got Australian companies on my page like Myers and Medibank Private? must be region specific