Have you ever failed a final but still passed a class?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 12:50 pm

For my microcomputer applications class, I'm currently making a 79. It's not an easy class, and I had to really work for that grade. I'm worried that I might fail the final exam and it'll bring down my average.

Hence why I'm asking. Have you ever passed a class even after failing the final exam? How did your final exam grade affect your overall average?

Last edited by Descartes on 03 May 2011, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 12:56 pm

The opposite was usually true for me. I'd cram like hell and boost my grade a full letter at the end.

How much of your grade is the final exam? Doing the math to find the lowest possible score you can get is easy. But it won't be very low. 79% isn't too hot.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:18 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
The opposite was usually true for me. I'd cram like hell and boost my grade a full letter at the end.

How much of your grade is the final exam? Doing the math to find the lowest possible score you can get is easy. But it won't be very low. 79% isn't too hot.

According to another classmate, the final is worth about 15% of our grade.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 2:02 pm

Descartes wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:

I'm mistaken. You can actually bomb this one pretty bad if you want to. If you skipped the final, your grade would be (.79 x .85 = .6715), which is probably not good enough to pass. To get the .0285 points you need to pass (assuming 70% is passing), you need a whopping 19% on the final.

Good luck. Comimg in awake and sober should do it.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 2:14 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
Descartes wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:

I'm mistaken. You can actually bomb this one pretty bad if you want to. If you skipped the final, your grade would be (.79 x .85 = .6715), which is probably not good enough to pass. To get the .0285 points you need to pass (assuming 70% is passing), you need a whopping 19% on the final.

Good luck. Comimg in awake and sober should do it.

Well, that's comforting to know. Thanks! :)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 4:29 pm

For a Chemistry course I got 46.67% on the final but ended up with a 53 or 52.

Why are you worried about the final? I mean, you got 79 so far.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 5:36 pm

jc6chan wrote:

I'm worried for several reasons. I'm with an organization that pays for much of my college tuition on the condition that I pass all my classes with a "C" or above. If I fail this class, then they'll probably rescind my funding, and I'll be virtually f**ed.

Secondly, even if I do manage to remain in college after failing this class, it is not a class that I want to have to redo. I dislike that class that much.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 6:33 pm

Descartes wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

I'm worried for several reasons. I'm with an organization that pays for much of my college tuition on the condition that I pass all my classes with a "C" or above. If I fail this class, then they'll probably rescind my funding, and I'll be virtually f**ed.

Secondly, even if I do manage to remain in college after failing this class, it is not a class that I want to have to redo. I dislike that class that much.

Well, good luck with the course :D .

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 1:13 pm

Yup, in Anatomy my junior year I got a D, but I still passed with a B! Mainly because I was just like "I just want to get out of here!"

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 3:04 pm

Varies with the prof. Some will see - has B average but D on exam, allow A retake.

Some give no leeway.

For some, B through smdester and D on exam is D - the exam is all.

One colleague if you did a B through semester, B on exam but he liked you and felt you could do better, would give an incompletre and make you retaike the course. Cruekl and unusual punishment. At least one student BEGGED him to fail her and get it over with..

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 10:12 pm

Well, I made a 53 on my microcomputer applications final (it had 100 questions), but I still managed to pass the class with a 74. I'm so happy that I'll never have to take that class again! :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 3:20 pm

Yes. I failed my geometry final exam because I barely finished 2/3 of the questions. I still passed the class with a C- though.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 5:31 pm

Nope. It is impossible with my university. You must pass the final to pass the course no matter what grade you had leading up to the final. That means if you have an A going into the final and you get less than a 73% on the final then you fail.

The University of California system does not allow anyone to get below a C- to pass. At my engineering college, BCOE, a C- is not considered passing. To pass the class, one has to be a 73% or above to pass or at a C average. And our college only allows us to retake a class ONCE or you are kicked out.

I remember being in my first programming class and having an A going into the final. Had a migraine during the final and missed passing the final by one question. I had to retake the class even though I had a B overall if you counted the final.

SmashLampjaw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2011, 1:48 am

Yes. I had an A in my Programming Language Theory class, but ended up sleeping through my alarm and missing the final to get a C.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 2:10 pm

I definitely failed my final this semester, and a "passing" grade is a B so hopefully I still got that. It wasn't even a matter of being unprepared, everyone I've talked to got railed on that test.

It's not a huge % of the grade and I had like 95% going in so I'm probably OK.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 3:55 pm

I have. It was a math class at college and I bombed the final. Luckily, I still maintained a B by doing well in the class beforehand. Final exams should NEVER be at 8 a.m. It's just cruel and asking for people to fail it. D: